Search for content in message boards

Kitsons of Clare, Ireland and New York

Kitsons of Clare, Ireland and New York

Posted: 8 Oct 2009 8:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kitson, Kirby, McMahon
I am looking for any information on Kitsons from Doonbeg, Co. Clare, Ireland as well as Kitsons in New York City. My great grandmother, Margaret Kitson (married name Kirby), was born in 1895 in Doonbeg and came to New York in 1916. She was the 5th of 17, so it's hard to find information on all of her nieces and nephews.

Her parents were Thomas Kitson and Ann McMahon.

Re: Kitsons of Clare, Ireland and New York

Posted: 6 Mar 2011 11:17PM GMT
Surnames: Kirby, Kitson
Margaret Kitson Kirby is my grand aunt. Her sister, Marie Kitson Ksiez is my grandmother (deceased). Maybe we can share info.

My grandmother had a least 5 children and the last one is my Dad.

Posted: 22 Jul 2011 4:08AM GMT
I have very scant information that my Great Great Grandfather Henry Kitson's family may have come from Doon Beg to Adelaide South Australia 1854. He married Mary Liston and called their first son Thomas - I know this is the thin line but do you have anymore Doonbeg information.
Pauline

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 9:36PM GMT
Surnames: Kitson
Hi my dad Thomas Kitson was born in 1916 in county clare,
could be related.
Tom.

Posted: 20 Feb 2012 11:08PM GMT
Do you know what part of Clare your dad was born in?

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 8:50PM GMT
Hi,
My Dad Thomas Kitson was born in the Doonbeg/Kilkee area of Clare,
He Had a Two Brothers,
Patrick Joseph, Miehal (michael).
Two Sisters,
Susan (Dottie), Mary,
Does This help ?.
Thanks for your reply,
Tom Kitson.

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 4:19PM GMT
My great great grandfather was from Clare and had a brother named Thomas. Michael had a wife, Margaret. Their son, Lawrence Kitson, born 1825 in Clare, immigrated to Canada, married Mary Walsh, moved to Bay City, Michigan. Don't know if this is the same family, but if any of this is faniliar, please contact me.

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 12:45AM GMT
If you ever find that Lawrene has brothers Henry and John who came to Australia - please contact me. I have been looking for this link for over 20 years - but I keep trying.
Pauline in Australia.

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 8:06PM GMT
I have no knowledge of any brothers of Lawrence, only a sister Bridget who came to Canada with him in 1846 or 47. Sorry if this doesn't help.

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 6:55PM GMT
Edited: 8 Mar 2012 3:03PM GMT
The earliest record I found of Kitsons in this area is the "Free Landholders of 1821" from the Clare library. The registration for this record is actually dated 8/26/1817. The following Kitson Landholders are listed for the town of Donmore(later listed as Dunmore & Doonmore): Henry, John, Michael(2), Patrick, Thomas. Each of these men has identical information entered for landlord, valuation & registration date(8/26/17). There is only one other Kitson, a Patrick Kitson, listed in these Landholder records and he is attached to the town Derreen.
The name Kitson can be found on every subsequent record for the town of Doonmore including the 1901-11 census, but not in such high concentrations as 1817. It is logical to assume that these 6 men from 1817 were related, but I found no records that clarify this. It's also very likely that those of us who have traced our ancestry to Doonmore are descendants of this 1817 group.
I have found Kitsons born in Clare (late 1700s - early 1900s) that lived in Galway, Ny area, Detroit area, Chicago, Canada & Australia. I wonder how many people are descendants of this 1817 group?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions