Search for content in message boards

Seeking info on Vigness or Winness

Seeking info on Vigness or Winness

charles Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2006 9:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vigness and Winness
I have Norwegian ancestors on both maternal and paternal sides, but can't get much further back than the late 1800s in the USA Here's what I know. Thanks in advance for any help.

Carl L. Vigness born about 1868 in Minnesota. Married to Ida Vigness. Both of their parents were born in Norway.

Also seeking Winness (changed to Winnes) information. They were in the Dakotas about 1890.

Thanks, Charles Lewis

Re: Seeking info on Vigness or Winness

PR (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2006 10:00PM GMT
Sometimes known as Carl Ludvig Vignes? born 11 Feb 1868 in or near Fillmore County, Minnesota?
If so - there is a brief pedigree posted on RootsWeb WorldConnect website in a file entitled "Fillmore County Genealogy"
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&...

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/good-queries.htm

A.Tinn (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2006 4:20AM GMT
The parents of Carl L. Vignes came from the district of Finnøy in Rogaland, Norway in 1856 possibly travelling with two other males who had also been residents of the Vignæss farm(s) in Finnøy (two young sons?). They left from the nearby port of Stavanger.

Finnøy is an area which is well represented with records and published history/genealogy books which can be used on LDS microfilms.

charles lewis (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2006 4:39PM GMT
Surnames: Winnes or Winnes
Thanks for the information on the Vignes/Vigness history. Its very useful. My other line of enquiry is for a Hans (probably G) Winnes or Winness - he seems to have spelled it both ways, born in Norway in about 1863 and married to Carrie (maiden name unknown). They settled in Golden Lake, Steele, North Dakota by the 1890s or so, I think. If you can uncover anything on them, I'd be very grateful. Thanks, Charlie.

A.Tinn (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2006 9:25PM GMT
Middle initial G? Is that how he was listed on the federal census enumerations for Steel County ND?? Do those censuses agree with your estimate of his birth year?
What year(s) did he list for his immigration on those censuses?

How was he listed in BLM land records?

Did you take advantage of the North Dakota cemetery transcription lookups?

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/nd/ndfiles.htm

A.Tinn (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2006 9:27PM GMT
North Dakota also did state censues in 1915 and 1925 - have you checked to see if those contain any more information?

Posted: 30 Jan 2006 8:17PM GMT
Thanks very much for your previous help on Hans Winness and the Vigness clan. I'm trying to push back the timeline on Hans Winness. I did find some things on the census lists and elsewhere in North Dakota. Here's what I know, more or less.

Hans G. Winness came to America in 1884. No information on early history or family in Norway. Within a few years he married Carrie _________ (unknown) who was born in Wisconsin of Norwegian parents. He shows up in March 1889 or before in Golden Lake Township, Steele County, North Dakota, and has a bunch of children over the years. It isn't clear if he was ever naturalized.

Any further help you could provide would be wonderful. Thanks much, Charlie Lewis.

A.Tinn (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2006 12:46AM GMT
My reading of the 1900 and 1910 US censuses give him a different middle initial. That's why I'm trying to get you to check other US sources or re-check those censuses. That middle initial is probably going to be very important to find WHERE in Norway he came from and WHO his parents were.

I found a strong possibility for Hans as a very young boy in Norway who also emigrated in 1884 - but a G initial you want to give him makes that possibility - highly improbable.

Posted: 31 Jan 2006 4:15AM GMT
On checking the 2 census scans I have available, the 1900 ND census seems to say Hans W. but the initial is not very legible. The 1910 census clearly shows a Hans N. Winness, so it probably is the N. His birth date is 1863, so he would have been about 21 at the time of his emigration in 1884. Thanks for your continued interest. Charlie.

A.Tinn (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2006 2:10PM GMT
Obvious that we both have access to the same census scan website. I felt their assumption of a middle initial W in 1900 was highly doubtful - after all the scribbling right on top of the letter itself. But the 1910 was as clear as day and I agree with you - the letter N it is!

So taking his first name, the likely first letter of his patronymic (N), a range for birthyear (I usually include plus and minus a year or two), and a vague idea of the name of the farm in Norway we'd LIKE to find him living on - I used the following database search for the 1865 Norwegian census.
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_avansert...
By asking that search to return name of 'domicile' in any results - I found a Hans Nilsen of the right age category living on a farm spelled as "Vinnæs" in Øvre Eiker district of Buskerud, Norway on the 1865 Norwegian census. I think he'd be well worth your time in more detailed research.
The same young man was found leaving from the port of Oslo/Kristiania in 1884 (source - Digitalarkivet emigration databases).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions