Search for content in message boards

Browns of Dinwiddie Co. VA area c.1800

Browns of Dinwiddie Co. VA area c.1800

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 2:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown Burwell Vasseur
Friends I would like to hear from ANYone with a clue about the several Brown families extant in Dinwiddie Co area, Virginia, c.~1800 plus/minus 20 years. I am looking for Brown names that had any association with the Armistead Burwell family. But broader than that, just understanding the Brown lines and what is known of them would be great

Re: Browns of Dinwiddie Co. VA area c.1800

Posted: 9 May 2008 10:33PM GMT
At least one line was:

1 Thomas Brown (LIKELY father of #2, below...but not proven "beyond a shadow of a doubt")-Was in Essex Co., VA by at least 1704 (and probably earlier).

2 Francis Brown (born about 1700) + Christiana Unknown (they had several children, including # 3, below). This Francis Brown moved to Chesterfield Co., VA, where he died in the 1750s.

3 Hezekiah Brown "I" (born about 1720-1730) + Sally Unknown-Left Essex Co., VA and moved to Amelia Co., VA in the 1750s or so.

4 Hezekiah Brown "II" (born about 1760) + Tabitha Irby (married in Dinwiddie Co., VA)

5 Irby Brown (born about 1785) + Rebecca Bonner Eppes (lived in the Dinwiddie Co./Petersburg, VA area. They had several children.

We have a male Brown DNA donor from this family, and we need to have more male Browns from this area of VA to join the DNA testing project for comparison.

There was also a James Brown and a Moses Brown who were both born in Dinwiddie Co., VA in the 1750s. Both eventually moved to Davidson Co., TN (per a fellow Brown researcher). One or both COULD have been from this same overall Brown family out of Essex Co., VA.....or not.

I have read about the William Brown and his son Burwell Brown who were out of Prince George Co., VA. At this point, I see no connection to the above Brown family out of Essex Co., VA...but again, DNA could answer that question, once and for all.

Comments?

Posted: 1 Feb 2009 5:53AM GMT
See my recent post regarding Dabney Browne. He is located in Dinwiddie VA in the 1860 Census, living with his daughter, Susan. Teaching at Wm & Mary.

Posted: 2 Feb 2009 1:51PM GMT
I feel stoopid responding so late to this. but this week [feb 5] our genealogist will be in the lib. of VA running down some of these lines. The Burwell Brown is of interest - we have a later Burwell in Brunswick, Southampton, Greensville counties. Also a "Burrel" that had me wondering if there was a spelling error - but we realize there are multi-generations of Burwells. The inter-related Browns of Sussex and Greensville Co's c. 1790-1850 [roughly] have land holdings in Dinwiddie Co [tax records], and several of the families setup household in Halifax Co NC c. 1820-1835 but probably kept all their holdings in VA, most moving back there.

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 7:47PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Procise
In Vol 3 p 378 of Dinwiddie Co Courthouse records is the following: Thomas Procise to Deed of Trust Procise & Wallace Trustees

An indenture made 11 day of Aug 1842 between Thomas Prosise and Henrietta his wife of the first part Armistead V. Procise and Thomas Wallace of the second part; and George J. Procise, Sarah Francis Procise Y Betsy M. Prosise of the third part; whereas Burrill Brown the maternal uncle of the said parties of the third part died some years since testate devising property to the said parties they being in their minority and the said Thomas Procise qualified as their guardian rediced it to possession.

It looks like Burrill Brown and Henrietta Procise were brother and sister. So which Burrill Brown is this?

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 6:20AM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2011 6:23AM GMT
Surnames: Browns, Warrens, Thomas
Finally Hello:

My name is Toni Warren and my GG-grandfather is Robert, Oscar Brown. His parents are Robert and Mahala Brown of KY. Robert O. married Harriet Thomas and my G-grandmother, Laura Brown is a product of that union. There were many more children. Another cousin Dorothy Bugess, 92, resides near me in Wash. D.C. Her mother was a sister to Laura
Brown. I am the eldest of nine. and Laura married John Wesley Warren creating my grandmother, Johnny Christine Warren. My father John Warren is her son. It is so late and I am so elated. I know that I will be hearing from someone soon.

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 6:34AM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2011 6:37AM GMT
Surnames: Brown
I go father back than Saloman Brown, l724, ? VA, and a novice at this genealogy, but I am pretty certain that we are related. Robert and Mahala Brown, born about 1826 and l824, were born in KY. All of the Browns prior to that are from the VA area in the Brown family. I am to excited and thrilled - plese contact me, Toni Warren, GG-grandaughter of Robert Oscar and Harriet Brown of Franklin County, KY. May God Bless our family. I believe that some of the Browns worked at the Blakemore Plantations!

Toni
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions