Search for content in message boards

Henry L. Holder, of Pittsburgh - Swiss-born father

Henry L. Holder, of Pittsburgh - Swiss-born father

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 6:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Nov 2012 6:26AM GMT
Surnames: Barsy, Holder, Ludwig, Salzer, Stocker
Seeking names of parents of Henry Leonard Holder who married Annie Orr about 1893 and resided at Pittsburgh where they had issue three children: one daughter Helen Orr Holder married John N Ludwig, parents of Barbara Ludwig and Helen Orr Ludwig, wife of JL Salzer. The two sons were William P Holder who married Eleanor Barsy, he died in Delaware in 1948, and Dr Leonard Henry Holder, born 1899.

Henry claimed birth in Illinois April 1861 with a Swiss born father and a mother born in Ohio. Does anyone have data on the birth and/or parents of Henry? -Aldo

Re: Henry L. Holder, of Pittsburgh - Swiss-born father

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 7:07PM GMT
I believe Henry's mother's name was Christine...see 1880 census. His father apparently died sometime around 1868, as his younger sister was born that year. I have not been able to find, yet, a record of his mother's remarriage... nor of his other siblings... which may have given further information.

1880; Census Place: Allegheny, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1087; Family History Film: 1255087; Page: 642C; Enumeration District: 024; Image: 0536.

Edvard Stocker 52
Christine Stocker 40
Henry Holder 18 Ill-Swiss-Ohio
Emma Holder 17 Ohio-Swizz-Ohio
Caroline Holder 12 PA-Swiss-Ohio
Charles Platzinger 60

Since Caroline was born in PA, her birth certificate might give information on both parents. Or Baptismal... or marriage....

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 2:31AM GMT
I found a public member tree with Henry L. Holder. According to that tree, Henry's parents were Leonard Henry Holter (notice the spelling difference) and Justine Werckheimer. You would need to verify the authenticity of this information, but it gives you some names to work with. Search the public member trees using the name Henry L Holder to find this tree.

I found a listing in the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index for a Leonard (Leonhard) Holder and a Justina Wenkheimer.
HOLDER, LEONARD (LEONHARD) WENKHEIMER, JUSTINA 1861-02-20 III 40 5623 PEORIA

I also saw the 1880 census with the name Christine, but I suppose it would be easy to mix up the names Christine and Justine in a census record.

No guarantee that this Holder/Holter/Wenkheimer/Werckheimer is accurate but it gives you something to work with.

Good luck.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 12:39PM GMT
Attached are the deaths of Annie and Henry Holder, both occuring in 1935 in Delaware County PA. That was the residence of a Dr. Leonard Holder, who I am assuming is their son. Copies of these certificates can be ordered from
http://www.portal.health.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/commun...
Attachments:

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 2:02PM GMT
Surnames: Holder, McNeil, MacNeill, Maxwell, Weinkhamer, Weinkheimer, Wenkheimer
Elaine and Loretta, Ladies, many thanks for the heads up. The CA Death Index has an entry for Carrie L Maxwell, DOB 09/14/1868 Mother Maiden "Weinkhamer" Father Last "Holder" Sex F Birthplace PA Death Place Los Angeles County, CA Death Date 12/13/1943 Age 75 years. Carrie Holder m. Wm. Maxwell.

The Wickenburg Sun, 31 August 1945 edition carried an Obit. for Emma C. MacNeill, who died at Wickenburg, Maricopa County, AZ, 27 August 1945, giving DOB 15 April 1863, "Mrs MacNeill's only living relatives are a niece Mrs John Ludwig of Pittsburgh, and two nephews William Holder of Wilmington, Delaware and Dr LH Holder of Chester, Penna." The AZ death record does not provide names for Emma's parents, however, the Obit. would suggest Emma was nee Holder, married about 1909 to Daniel McNeil of Wickenburg, AZ. The "public tree", was not found on rootsweb, I assume this "public tree" is found on one of the ancestry sites? All these Holder strands tie up, three children with a father Leonhard Holder and a mother named Justina Wenkheimer marrying at Peoria, Illinois 20 February 1861. Daniel McNeil's marriage is thought to be about 1909, Dan McNeil (* Canada 1851- d. AZ 1924) and wife Emma are married residing at Wickenburg in the 1910 census. The marriage record would verify identification of Emma, hopefully giving once again the names of her parents as Leonhard Holder and Justina Wenkheimer. Any further suggestions as to strategy? My interest is in Emma. Aldo

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 2:14PM GMT
The public member tree I viewed was on Ancestry.com
It looks like you found plenty of other sources that give the same parents as I found. Good luck with your research.

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 6:23PM GMT
Just for kicks....I ran an advanced search..used NO names: I entered born Ohio, abt 1863, Father born Switzerland, Mother born Ohio. And I got ONE result.

1900; Census Place: Allegheny Ward 4, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1355; Page: 10A; Enumeration District: 0045; FHL microfilm: 1241355.

Elmer Smith 38
Emma Smith 37
Leo Smith 10

Posted: 24 Oct 2013 6:38PM GMT
I too found the 1880 census. According to this record, Henry L, along with his sisters, Emma and Caroline, and his mother Christine, lived with his mother's second husband, Edvard Stocker. I think Henry L will be easier to trace that his wife, Annie Orr.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions