Search for content in message boards

Finding my family history

Finding my family history

Arielle Demby (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Frimowsky, Demby, Dembfsky, Dembifski
My grandmother Helen Demby was from Lodz Poland before World WarII. Her mother Liba Frimowsky was married to Suchur Frimowsky. My grandmother,her mother and her father were all in the Lodz ghetto- however my Grandmother's sister Hana Frimowsky married a man (who my grandmother can't remember the last name of ) and moved to the Warsaw ghetto-Hana's husband's family owned a fur shop on Marshochovska street- building-Spotzarova 6. Hana and her husband died in fighting in the Warsaw uprising, and Liba and Suchur died in Auschwitz. My grandmother is the sole survivor of her immediate family. She married Harry Demby(or Dembyfsky) (Spelling is not remembered) from Lithuania after the war and moved to Germany then New Rochelle, NY. If you have any information on any distant relatives or even information on the lives of Liba, Suchur, and Hana- I'd gladly appreciate it.

Re: Finding my family history

Posted: 9 Dec 2001 4:00AM GMT
Edited: 30 May 2002 1:44AM GMT
Surnames: Demby, Dembufsky, Fein, Elinsky
My mother's maiden name is Demby. My grandfather was Arthur Demby, who was adopted from Samuel Fein and Fanny Elinsky by Jacob and Deborah Demby. I believe that they changed the surname from Dembufsky to Demby, although I do not know when this was done. My grandfather was born in 1907 and adopted soon after. I think that the name had already been changed.

There is a large group of Dembufsky family members buried in Goshen, Indiana. I know that at least some of them came from Russia, but I don't know specifically which part (Lithuania, Latvia, etc.).

As the name Dembufsky/Demby is not altogether that common, please let me know if any of this information "rings a bell."

Posted: 2 Jan 2002 8:54PM GMT
Surnames: Demby, Trohn, Rosenbloom
My paternal grandmother, Esther Rebecca Trohn Rosenbloom (b. January 11, 1867, Mitau, Latvia), had a sister, Rosa Trohn Demby (b. March 1856, Russia), who married Morris Demby (b. May 1859, Russia) and had 4 children (Alexander, Rose, Ann and Lou). The Demby's came to New York by the late 1880's. Several of the Trohn's settled in New Rochelle. Most went to Staten Island or New Jersey. You may want to communicate with Nancy Camaur,
ncamaur@mail.camaurlaw.com, who knows a great deal more about these Demby's than I do.

Posted: 26 Jun 2002 5:53PM GMT
Surnames: Demby, Dembufsky, Wolfberg
We may be related (by adoption). Jacob Demby (Dembufsky) was the son of Meyer and Sarah Dembufsky, and there is some indication that (i) Sarah's maiden name was
Caminsky and (ii) she was a first cousin of my maternal grandmother, Sarah Caminsky Wolfberg, who lived in Goshen (and later Wakarusa) after emigrating from Poland/East Prussia.

I have been unable to obtain a death certificate for Sarah Caminsky Dembufsky because she died in 1941 and Indiana won't give a certificate to anyone but direct descendants until 75 years after a death. You might have better luck. (The reason for interest in the death certificate is that it might reveal the deceased person's father and mother. (My speculation is that Sarah Dembufsky's father was a brother to my grandmother's father.)

Anyway, welcome to the mishpachah (I think). If you have any information about Sarah Dembufsky, I would be eager to learn of it.

Harry Kortick

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 4:44AM GMT
Arielle - Did you ever research your Kortick grandparents? My great grandmother was a Kortick in Providence, and I've researched her siblings that lived there, but I haven't found a link between your grandfather and my Korticks. Do you happen to have any information about him? Thanks.

Mark London
Natick, MA
mrl@psfc.mit.edu
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions