Search for content in message boards

John Hanson Ike & Caroline Anderson

John Hanson Ike & Caroline Anderson

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 6:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ike, Anderson
I am researching this couple. They married in Volga, Dakota Territory in 1880 or1881, and appear in 1900 census for Brookings County with several children. I am looking for anyone who ties into this line or has any information on the family. John was born in Norway and died in 1907 from working in the mines, and was buried in Deadwood, South Dakota. I am having trouble finding proof of his immigration and the names of his parents. I have had more luck with Caroline as she lived until 1930.
diana

Re: John Hanson Ike & Caroline Anderson

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 3:27PM GMT
Edited: 22 Dec 2009 2:31PM GMT
Surnames: Ike, Anderson
Diana, I found the birth date for John Hanson Ike. Since it was not listed I am guessing you did not have it or you would have provided it so we could help you find the correct John Hanson Ike. He was born Aug 1856.

I also found a file on www.familysearch.org for John Hanson Ike ( actually listed as John Hanson or Ike) for him being born in Olso, Akershus, Norway His wife is listed as Caroline Sophia or Drugsvold Anderson. Not sure if this helps

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 4:02PM GMT
thank you for the help, yes that is the right John. In the past while trying message boards I've had little success, so thank you for a reply and a search. You got the right John, he is my gr grandfather and we have a mess with a family story and no paper proof to validate it. "Born in Norway, immigrated between 1858-1868, given to another family after his mother died after the immigration, added {Ike} as last name, etc. I can verify he existed from his marriage til his death only! However with his death certificate we glean nothing new. Without his parents names I am stuck. I am aware of the info on family search. Thank you again. Happy hunting.
d

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 4:59PM GMT
Diana, I caught the message because I am researching a John Hansen in Brookings co. SD so I looked to make sure not same person. I would see if you can find anything in norway archives, but they drive me crazy because of the language barrier. Not sure if ever naturalized but if so you could try to find his naturalization records at the national archives in your region. Also try going to the Brooking Co., Sd Genealogy site and send an email to Brenda Brehen I believe is her name. She is listed under research. She has done some awesome lookups in the newpapers in Brookings for obits for me.

I had a brick wall on my hansens and she found an obit which gave me death date, birth location and tons of other info I needed to find my hansen in Norway.

Good Luck with you research

Sharon M. Bledsoe

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 8:24PM GMT
My John is from Norway, born Aug of 1856, and added Ike as a last name sometime after immigrating. My John died in Deadwood, SD in 1907, if this sounds like you'rs I'd be glad to share info. I am having trouble going back to find him as a youngster as John Hanson as I don't know his parents names. i find him in 1880 in Volga SD as a boarder with a peter Bolgord family. So I am stuck with him as my end. With his wife I have more to go with though.
Thanks for emailing me, and good luck with your search
diana
per page

Find a board about a specific topic