Search for content in message boards

Wood Coal Company, Ethel, WV

Wood Coal Company, Ethel, WV

Posted: 7 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jul 2003 12:14PM GMT
Surnames: Hutchison
My grandfather was Wm. John Reid Hutchi(n)son, a Scottish immigrant who worked for the Wood Coal Company at Ethel, WV in Logan County during the late 30's and early 40's. He was killed in the mines by a roof fall, but I do not know the date.
My father was John Hutchi(n)son, who was born in 1922 in Cresap, WV, which I believe is also in Logan County. It is possible that Cresap is the location of my grandfather's death.
Any info. on these mines or names would be greatly appreciated.
Also seeking info. about my grandmother, who, it is believed, was not married to my grandfather.
God's Peace.

Wood Coal Co.

Posted: 18 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2003 12:14PM GMT
To Nancy who replied to Wood Coal Query, Logan County: Tried to E-mail my thanks for your response, but it didn't go through.
Can you tell me about the cemeteries in your area. Many thanks.
Cathy tomcat@ezwv.com

Re: Wood Coal Company, Ethel, WV

ACE CHANEY (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2003 2:36PM GMT
WOOD COAL COMPANY WAS LOCATED ABOUT FIVE MILES FROM LOGAN WV ON WHAT IS NOW CALLED RT17.
AT ONE TIME ETHEL HAD OVER 5,000 PEOPLE NOW EVEN THE RAILROAD IS REMOVED.
THE FOLLOWING MINES WAS IN OPERATION THE SAME TIME WOOD COAL COMPANY WAS AND WITHIN A FEW MILES OF EACH OTHER, AME COAL, WANDA COAL, FORT BRANCH, FREEZE FORK, GEORGE'S CREEK, THERE WAS A FEW MORE BUT IT WAS NOT UNCOMMON TO LEAVE ONE COMPANY AND START TO WORK FOR ANOTHER THE NEXT DAY.
WISHING YOU ONLY THE BEST

Re: Wood Coal Company, Ethel, WV

Cathy Proctor (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2003 3:02AM GMT
Ace,
Thanks so much for the info on Wood Coal Co. I'm surprised to get a reply since I posted the message so long ago. I remember my Dad talking about Wanda Coal and Freeze Fork.
You're a Gem.
Cathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic