Search for content in message boards

Erastus CAMPER, 1882

Erastus CAMPER, 1882

Posted: 23 Apr 2011 2:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Camper
Does an obit exist for Erastus CAMPER, who died 20 Feb 1882 in Botetourt Co.?

Re: Erastus CAMPER, 1882

Posted: 1 Oct 2011 4:47PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2011 4:48PM GMT
Hi,

I could get you that, but it would cost me gas, a hard copy, and time. Roanoke Public Library has both Salem (Roanoke County) Times and Roanoke City/County newspaper as well on microfilm. I'd expect some kind of compensation; I learned long ago I don't have the resources to do this kind of thing for free.

Botetourt County newspapers are simply incomplete in the 1800's. I will see what they have.

Posted: 1 Oct 2011 7:10PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2011 7:13PM GMT
Good news. I was at Fincastle Library today doing some work on personal property tax records and checked the microfilm copies of the Botetourt County newspaper in 1882 and found a copy for 3 days after Erasmus' death. The problem? They close at 1:00 pm on Saturday, and I didn't have to do a thorough check of that issue or surrounding issues. This give's me hope that we'll find a obit. I'm heading back on Monday, so I'll look more thoroughly. My previous post, as you can see, was made just before the Library had closed; it was after I posted that I had checked on the microfilm.

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 7:32PM GMT
Haven't found an obit for him in the Fincastle Hearld, issues Feb 24th or March 2nd 1882. Could be in another newspaper, like Salem Times or Roanoke Times.

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 3:39AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 6 Oct 2011 8:26PM GMT

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 3:46AM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2011 3:54AM GMT
Surnames: camper
SECOND ATTEMPT TO CONTACT YOU; my charles burton CAMPER genealogy book gives his death as being in rockbridge co, va. camper descendants living in the vicinity of his south river location (riverside, va) near buena vista, va are fairly certain that he is buried in an unmarked grave at neriah baptist church in the same area. i think this info points to an excellent chance of his death being in rockbridge co instead of bot co. i tried to send you my copies of his 1880 census and his 1850- 1880 noncensus record showing his agriculture holdings along with those of his son, wm henry camper, of the same place, but i don't believe they were sent.

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 3:50AM GMT
will try again to send 1880 census, etc
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 12:41PM GMT
Great detective work. The poster above posted in January of this year. I don't know if he is still interested in knowing the answer to his question, but here is what I do on occasion: I go to both the Lexington and VMI libraries to research info on the old newspapers. There is at least one newspaper that covers Lexington that is on file at both libraries covering that time period. I don't mind checking the next time I'm there, but since this poster hasn't responded to my posts to him, than I don't know if anyone is even interested. If there is a person interested in finding an obit for Erastus, please let me know.

BTW, is Erastus the brother of George, and is George the husband of a Littrell? I think I've done corresponding reserach on this family. Also, saw a tax record entry on Erastus while working on another line in the early 1800's.

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: CAMPER-BURKHOLDER
Erastus Camper b 16 Feb 1800 d. 20 Feb 1882 in Riverside, VA was married in Botetourt County, Va on 13 Aug 1827 to Susanna Burkholder. I know of 3 children to this marriage. I remember looking for records on Footnote for Erastus Camper for his service in the Civil War. I did not look for his obituary for the lady I did the work for, as we were all going to Richmond at the time so as far as I know she found what she wanted. Looking back, I should have made a file on him, but I didn't.

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 3:44PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2011 8:30PM GMT
Surnames: CAMPER
i would love to have an obit for erastus camper (sr) who died in rockbridge co, va. the father of erastus was believed to be sanford camper who married a catherine sheets(not the mother of erastus). no child of this marriage was named "george". the mother of erastus was elizabeth camper, who later married a benjamin craft in 1807. i don't have the names of any children of that marriage.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions