Search for content in message boards

David Hunter & descendants, 1741 Ireland/Scotland to USA/SC early 1800s

David Hunter & descendants, 1741 Ireland/Scotland to USA/SC early 1800s

Posted: 20 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 10:06PM GMT
Surnames: HUNTER, McMEANS, SAMPLE, BLAKE
I am seeking information on David Hunter b. 1700s ?near Dublin Ireland, may be of Scot descent, md (1) unknown ? in PA, md (2) Nancy Agnes Cochran, d. 1809 possibly in Chester County. Children: Ester, William, James, Samuel, and Elizabeth (?there may be more) in the second marriage. I would appreciate any insight into this line. Daughter, Ester, md (1)Hyrum Sample and (2)Anthony McMeans. She had a daughter? (?sister or s-i-l) name of Mary Lucinda Hunter who md Thomas Blake in Roane Co., TN in 1821. I am trying to verify just how Lucinda related to this family; letters confirm that she was a half sister to Margaret Thompson McMeans Smoot, a daughter of Anthony and Ester. Was she illegitimate?

Hunter-McMeans connection

Lana (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2006 8:40PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, McMeans
In the previous notes, I mentioned Chester County, but did not indicate that it was Chester County, South Carolina where David and Esther Hunter finally settled; think they (he, at least) came from Pennsylvania, possibly Philadelphia, where he was a merchant. I suspect that he and Esther may be buried in Chester County SC; if anyone knows anything more on these people, please contact me or add a message. Thanks in advance.

Lucinda Blake --clarification

Posted: 29 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 10:06PM GMT
Surnames: HUNTER, MCMEANS, MCMINN, BLAKE
I have learned from other researchers that Lucinda HUNTER md Thomas Early Blake in 1821 in Roane Co., Tennessee. McMeans is her stepfather's name. Esther, her mother, was md first to Hyrum SAMPLE who she divorced (or left) and Lucinda appears to have been born between that marriage and the second one for Esther (Easter) to Anthony McMEANS. I am still seeking information on this connection if anyone has anything they can share.

Re: David Hunter & descendants, 1741 Ireland/Scotland to USA/SC early 1800s

Posted: 3 Jun 2006 5:55PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 4 Jun 2006 8:41PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Cochran
Name: David HUNTER
Given Name: David
Surname: Hunter
Sex: M
Death: 1809 in South Carolina
Note: According to what his granddaughter stated in an autobiography, he was an officer in the Revolutionary War under General George Washington and that they were close friends.

Marriage 1 Nancy Agnes COCHRAN
Children
Ester HUNTER b: 1773 in South Carolina
James HUNTER
William Cohran HUNTER
Elizabeth HUNTER

Re: David Hunter & descendants,1700s, Ireland/Scotland to USA/SC early 1800s

Lana (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2006 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: HUNTER, COCHRAN, COCHRANE
Thank you for posting. Do you know the name of the autobiography you mentioned? Is it for sale anywhere, etc?

I suspect David was b. abt 1731-1741, not the 1774 shown in my and others previous postings. I have not checked Philadelphia, PA records yet, but think that may be where he and first wife married. Somewhere I learned that he had been a merchant in Philadelphia prior to marrying Nancy. The story is that Nancy was quite young, maybe 13-14, had run away from her brother in Ireland who was her guardian and who had planned to marry her to someone...maybe a cousin...whom she did not want to marry.

Seems like I got so far as finding the ?Earl of Dundonald today who is the current male descendant of the Cochran (Cohron) line, lives in a castle in England...of Scot descent, but line was in Ireland for a time.

samples (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2006 9:55PM GMT
Let me check around and I will get back to you. It has to be sold somewhere or be able to be downloaded.

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 3:47AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2008 11:54AM GMT
Surnames: Hancock, McMeans
Are you still researching the Hunter/McMeans line. I am related to Anthony McMeans, my Grandmother was Carrie Belle McMeans, her father Iredell, gfather James, ggf Elihue and gggf was Anthony - I think. I may have missed one in there. I would love to share any info I might have.

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 7:05AM GMT
Surnames: McMEANS, PATTON, HALL
Yes, I am still interested in these people. Since my other postings, someone told me that the present Earl of Dundonald line does not show a Nancy Cochran/e so I guess there's more research to be done.

So far as I know (from what others found at Brigham Young University Library) Anthony and Nancy only had one son who lived to adulthood and that was Andrew J. McMeans. I don't know anything about his children. Anthony and his first wife Phebe Patton had 9 identified children with one being unknown sex/name, etc. They had William, John, Eli, James, and Edward and some daughters. Edward moved to Jefferson Co., AL and is there in 1860 census.

1860 Jefferson Co., AL census, page 766
Edward McMeans 54 farmer SC
Susan M. 27 GA--maiden name HALL
Capers 10 male AL
William 8 AL
Edward 5 AL
Reimy H. 2 male AL
Mary A. 7 months AL
William Hawkins 23 laborer AL
Margaret 27 AL

Posted: 30 Jul 2008 8:02PM GMT
Surnames: McMeans
Hi, Cuz, At least that is the way it looks.
My research shows that Anthony had at least two sons, one of which was Andrew, who I have found had two sons, one of which was Andrew Capers, who had two sons, one of which was my father Hubert Brown McMeans, Sr. who had two sons, one of which is me, Robert W. McMeans, who had two sons, one of which had two sons, etc. etc.
I hope this helps someone. It certainly has made my life much more connected with those names from the past.

Posted: 31 Jul 2008 4:20AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2008 12:34PM GMT
Surnames: Patton, McMean, Smoot
I believe Anthony and Esther's first son, who had a twin sister, died in infancy with Andrew being the only surviving son. Do you know of another son for this marriage? Was Andrew married more than twice? He and Phebe Patton (first wife) had a large family and he had at least 5 sons with her.

I would be a half or step cousin as my ancestor was Margaret McMean's half sister Mary Lucinda Hunter Blake. There is some mystery here as Lucinda's mother md 1-Hyrum Sample, had one son--divorced; 2-maybe not married, had Lucinda who carried her mother's maiden name; and 3-Anthony McMeans and they had twins f/m who died at birth, Margaret and Andrew.

Book --A.O. SMOOT, A TESTAMENT OF HIS LIFE, by Loretta D. Nixson and L. Douglas Smoot; Brigham Young University Press, Provo, Urah, 1994 contains letters written to her family in the East/South and lists some details of her family relations.

If anyone has a copy of this book or knows of one for sale, please let me know. It would also be nice to get some more information in PA and SC. I think I read somewhere that Margaret may have md A. O. Smoot in Roane Co., TN and moved from there to a Mormon settlement....maybe Nauvoo, IL or Far West, MO. It is believed that A. O. was related to Thomas Blake's (Lucinda's husband)first wife Elizabeth Owen and it was through this connection perhaps that Margaret met her future husband. At any rate, I would like more documentation as to county records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions