Search for content in message boards

Farrell Dunkerrin Parish

Farrell Dunkerrin Parish

S. Roddy (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Farrell, Rourke, Quinlisk, Meagher, Wall, Delaney, Fitzpatrick, Burke, Morgan
I am doing research on the Farrells/Rourkes of Dunkerrin Parish(Barna Parish/Ballydonagh)County Offaly(formerly Kings County).

Timothy Farrell M Margaret Rourke at Dunkerrin Parish Jan. 24 1820. Children were John (b-1820), Patrick (my line)(B-1822), Michael (B-1824), James (B-1827), Hanah (B-1829).
Patrick ended up in Marysville (Lonsdale)Ontario Canada. Sister Hanora married a John MAHER in Dunkerrin Parish and later emmigrated to Australia.

Other children could be still be in Ireland or Canada or Australia etc.

Suspect that siblings/neices/nephews of Timothy may be:

William Farrell who married Mary Whelan pre 1820 and also ended up in Marysville, Ont. Canada,
Michael Farrell who married Margaret Quinlisk at Dunkerrin Feb 13, 1820,
Patrick Farrell who married Hanora Meagher at Dunkerrin Feb 15, 1820,
Ellen Farrell who married Michael Meagher March 6 1821 at Dunkerrin,
James Farrell who married Elizabeth Wall May 17 1823 at Dunkerrin,
James Farrell who married Catherine Meagher Aug 1824 at Dunkerrin,
Thomas FArrell who married Catherine Meagher May 25 1825 at Dunkerrin,
Ann Farrell who married Michael Delaney February 24 1829 at Dunkerrin,
Catherine FArrell who married John Fitzpatrick Feb 8 1831 at Dunkerrin,
Michael Farrell who married Ann Meagher Jan 15 1832 at Dunkerrin,
Richard Farrell who married Margaret Burke May 11 1832 at Dunkerrin
Anne Farrell who married Patrick Morgan July 4 1832 at Dunkerrin

These people could have ended up anywhere in the world. Do you have a connection? I have info to share!

Re: Farrell Dunkerrin Parish

Posted: 12 Apr 2010 11:02PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2010 6:42PM GMT
Surnames: Farrell,Sweeney,Holland,Rourke
Hi, hope you are still on ancestry.com.
I opened my genealogy files this past week when registering for ancestry.com.
It seems we may share common family ancestors.
The Patrick Farrell, son of Timothy and Margaret Rourke, married Sarah Sweeney born Nov 1822 in Marysville, Ontario, Canada. Sarah Sweeney is the daughter of Michael Sweeney b 1760 Ireland, died 1855 Marysville and Anne Holland (aka Mulholland)- my Sweeney line.
If you receive this, please contact me as I have that family information, and would like to learn more about the Farrell family also.
Thanks,
Kathy

Posted: 24 Jul 2010 4:26AM GMT
Hi Kathy,

I saw your reply about Timothy Farrell while browsing Ancestry today and hope we can exchange information.

Timothy's daughter Hannah (b 1829) married widower John Maher (or Meagher) about 1851 and they emigrated to Australia with John's two children from his previous marriage to a Margaret Casey, arriving in Port Phillip on the Joshua on 30 Jan 1852. They subsequently had nine children, including my great grandmother Margaret.

I don't know much more about Timothy and Margaret Rourke and have been trying to find more for some time. If you can help I'd be most grateful.

Happy to share any information you'd like about Hannah's descendants.

cheers
Gary Tippet

Posted: 8 Sep 2010 2:22PM GMT
In case it helps my name is Gerald Hayes and I am the great great great grandson of John Hayes husband to Anastasia Harrigan of Read, Hastings, Ontario known as Marysville today. Related to the Farrell, Brennan, O'Shaugnessy and other Irish families as well. I have an extensive tree and would gladly share it with cousins. I can be reached at geraldhayes767@hotmail.com and I live in Hamilton, Ontario.

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 12:56AM GMT
Hi Gary, I don't know if the families are related,
my family has a Timothy Farrell who married Margaret Rourke (both DOB & DOD unknown), I believe in Ireland. They emigrated to present day Marysville, Ontario Canada one of their children is Patrick Farrell who married my ancestor Sarah Sweeney, and had 8 children between 1849 to 1863,all in Marysville Ontario - then called Tyendinaga.

For the Maher family, I have a Thomas Maher born 5/25/1852 in Tyendinaga and a Charles Maher DOB Feb 1838, Tyendinaga. Both were sons of William Maher and Elenor Sweeney, from Ireland, unknown DOB, DOD.

Perhaps same family with different emigration destinations?
Kathy

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 4:51AM GMT
Hi Gerald,

I saw your post and will reply on your private email.

Gary Tippet
Australia

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 5:09AM GMT
Hi Kathy.

Yes, same family and different destinations. Since your original post I have searched the Canadian side of the family and seen your people, though I'd be interested in knowing more.

In particular, I was unaware that Timothy Farrell and Margaret Rourke themselves had emigrated there, I thought it was just Patrick and possibly his brothers John and Michael. I saw a mention on the internet of a book of family histories of the Holy Name of St Mary church, published about 1987, which apparently has a section on the descendants of Timothy Farrell, which gave a clue that he may have gone there. Can you tell me more?

On the Australian side, Hannah Farrell, Timothy and Margaret's daughter, born 1829 and baptised, I think, on 22 Nov 1829, in Dunkerrin, became the second wife of John Maher on 28 Aug 1851. They emigrated to Port Phillip (now Melbourne) on the Joshua, arriving Jan 30 1852 after an 86-day voyage. They were accompanied by John's two children by his first wife.

In Australia John and Hannah had nine children, the first of whom was my great grandmother Margaret, born 14 Sep 1852. She married Thomas Bowden Tippet in 1886 when she was 34 and he was 50. They had four children.

Many years ago there was a reunion of the descendants of John Maher and Hannah Farrell and a detailed family history and tree was put together. If you like, I can fill you in on the Aussie side of your family and you can fill in the Canadian details for me. Best to contact me at jeniport@iinet.net.au.

cheers
Gary

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 6:12PM GMT
Surnames: Thought you would like to see some family marriages
011883-25 (Hastings Co) Joseph Ambrose PITT, 31, farmer, Read, Read s/o Joseph PITT & Ellen O'LEARY

married Annie Maria O'CONNOR. 29, housewife, Marysville, Shannonville d/o Thomas O'CONNOR & Elizabeth

BRENNAN wtn Frances O'CONNOR of Shannonville & Evelyn PITT of Read, 5 October 1925 at Marysville

5018-92 (Hastings Co): Patrick FARRELL, 28, farmer, Read, same, s/o Michael FARRELL & Bridget CONWAY, married Mary HARRIGAN, 24, Read, same, d/o Timothy HARRIGAN & Mary SMITH, witn: Anthony FARRELL & Julia HARRIGAN, both of Tyendinaga, 11 Jan 1892 at Read (Rom Cath)

010141-08 (Hastings Co) David McAnnan? FARRELL, 23, farmer, Rawden Twp s/o William FARRELL & Phoebe McTAGGART married Annie Ralph McKENNA, 26, Belleville d/o John McKENNA & Margaret FULLERTON wtn: James WADDELL & Jessie McKENNA both of Belleville, 7 September 1908 at Belleville

004824-91 Patrick FARRELL, 32, Marysville, same, Farmer, s/o Patrick FARRELL & Sarah SWEENEY married Ellen BRENNAN, 25, Tyendinaga, Read, d/o Joseph BRENNAN & Catharine CARPENTER. Wtn: Thomas J. McGURN of Marysville and Annie M. BRENNAN of Tyendinaga on February 9, 1891 at Read

004353-82 Michael FARRELL, 24, Tyendinaga Tp., same, Farmer, s/o John & Bridget FARRELL married Ellen MURPHY, 23, Tyendinaga Tp., same, d/o John & Rose MURPHY. Wtn: Patrick FARRELL of Tyendinaga and Catherine FARRELL of Tyendinaga on June 26, 1882 at Tyendinaga Tp

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 3:57PM GMT
Surnames: Farrell
You posted your message sometime ago. But I do have information about the descendants of Patrick Farrell son of Timmothy Farrell and Margaret Rourke. Patrick did settle in Marysville, Ontario. But a John Farrell also settled in Marysville during this time. Although I have no absolute documentation it may be possible that Patrick and John were the brothers you name in your posting. I am married to one of John's descendants. If you would like to learn more please feel free to contact me at my email address john.immerseel@sympatico.ca

John

Posted: 3 Oct 2010 1:25AM GMT
Thank you, but I don't think that we are related.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions