Classification: Query
looking for further on Coleman Dickerson; 11/15/1829 - 4/29/1881
married Nancy Simmons on 12-5-1854
buried at Dickerson Cemetary/ Spears Chapel/ Newton County
they had 5 children

Re: Coleman Dickerson/ Newton County/ Texas

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 6:45AM GMT
I believe his mother's maiden name was Coleman. My mother-in-law (husband's step-mother) is a descendant of the Dickerson family. She has more information. I would have to ask her. Her gr..grandmother is Melissa Ann Dickerson and her gr..grandfather William O. Winfree. These two were married in Newton Co. in 1855. Then moved to Sabine Par. La.

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 6:47AM GMT
Yes, his mother's maiden name is Coleman. Mary Ann Coleman. His father was John Dickerson. You can find them on the 1835 census Bevil District.

Joe Dickerson (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2002 5:49PM GMT
You are right! She was a Coleman, and I understand that is where he got Coleman from.
This is so neat...haven't heard from anyone that was even remotely connected. This is the first.
Thank you so much.
Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Joe dICKERSON
409-384-3325

Posted: 7 Apr 2002 6:19AM GMT
Joe, would your Dickersons have had any relatives in or around Bronson, Sabine Co., Tx.?

Posted: 8 Apr 2002 6:41PM GMT
That's my problem....I don't know anything past Coleman Dickerson.
I understand he took the name "Coleman" from his mother's last name. He is buried at Dickerson Cemetary in Burkeville, Texas. I can't get anything further, and being a "newbie" at this, is more frustrating than I thought. Thanks for the reply, though, just the same.
Joe

Posted: 25 Apr 2002 4:17AM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2002 3:19AM GMT
My Great Grand mother was Margarette "Martha" Dickerson. Her father was Jesse Dickerson mother was Priscilla West. Jesse Dickerson father was John Dickerson. Margarette married James Riley Davis my Great Grand Father. Would these be any Kin to your Dickerson's? They settled in Newton and Jasper counties.

Posted: 25 Apr 2002 7:09PM GMT
I would think so. John Dickersoln was born abt. 1832. He was the son of: John Dickerson and Mary Ann Coleman.
Coleman Dickerson and his wife (Nancy Simmons) are buried at Dickerson cemetary in Spears Chapel Community (Burkeville), Texas.

Posted: 25 Apr 2002 10:30PM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2002 3:19AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Hawthorne, Dickerson
Hi Joe, I checked the info that I have on the Dickersons and I have your John Dickerson the brother to Jesse Dickerson. Jesse Dickerson was my Great Great Grand Father. The father of Jesse and John Jr. was John Sr. Your John was a Jr.. I would love to exchange info so we could compare. You can contact me at Jaro928@aol.com Again thanks for responding.

James Davis

Posted: 27 Apr 2002 1:27AM GMT
James,
You will probably be disappointed to know I'm new at this, and the only info. I have is that John's father was John Dickerson (II.)? , and his wife was Mary Ann Coleman (b. abt. 1809) John, , was born in GA. abt. 1805. His (John II) father was also named John Dickerson.
Their children (of John & Mary Ann Coleman) were: Elizabeth (b. abt. 1826, Lydia, (married Baron DeCalb Roebuck. (b. abt. 1827 in Alabama), Coleman b. abt. 15 Nov. 1829, who married Nancy L. Simmons 5 Dec, 1854.....b. abt. 1830 in Mississippi,....she was daughter of Richard Simmons & Susan R. Guthrie....Nancy died abt. 4 Aug, 1884 in Texas, John (b. abt. 1832, Isaac (b. abt. 1832, and Mary. (b,. abt. 1834) I would love to pay someone to help with further, but I would have no idea where or who to look for with help with this.
Sorry....I hope this helps just the same.
Regards,
Joe Dickerson

per page

Find a board about a specific topic