Search for content in message boards

Those who died at Valley Forge

Those who died at Valley Forge

Posted: 21 May 2010 4:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
There certainly must be records of the names of those who died at Valley Forge during the 1777 to 1778 period? Does anyone have a source for that kind of information? They certainly didn't just let men die there and not set down their names and dates in records did they? I know a lot of men got ill and died from their diseases, but records should be somewhere. Help? Looking for a death record there for a Lewis Campbell, d. 1778 and is perhaps buried at "Arlington"....not sure what cemetery that means. I looked the name up at Arlington National and couldn't extract his name but I have seen a record of his burial there.

Dick C.

Re: Those who died at Valley Forge

Posted: 21 May 2010 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell
Your man's death while in service would have been noted on muster- and payroll if these records survive.

The National Parks Service's website listing personnel at Valley Forge 1777-1778 lists only one Lewis Campbell, a Pvt. in the 4th NJ Regiment (Continental). He is not noted as having died at Valley Forge, though he certainly may have died subsequently in the same year.

http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/
--click on the "Muster Roll" link at upper left to get to the search box.

You can look at the surviving rolls for the Regiment your man was in using a free trial period on ancestry.com or search the Compiled Service Records on www.footnote.com (which also has free trial periods). Your local library may subscribe to either or both of these services for patron use at the library.

If you know what Regiment your man was in you can ask your local library to borrow its rosters on microfilm for you to look at. This site lists the surviving Continental units by what microfilm roll number they are in within National Arcives Micropublication M246, "Revolutionary War Rolls":

http://www.revwar75.com/ob/m246.htm

A burial site for a Lewis Campbell has not been published in either the NSSAR or the NSDAR Patriot Graves publications. Local chapters near where your man's family lived during the War might have made some memorial, however, that was not included in National Society publications.

While descendants may have had his remains reinterred in a National Cemetery, the Veterans Administration does not list him.

Posted: 18 Jul 2013 2:31PM GMT
Surnames: Carpenter
Dear Mr. Campbell,
I just ran across your post. My ancestor, George Carpenter, died at Valley Forge in March of 1778. According to my findings, not many did die at Valley Forge. I believe the army may have been camped there for only a few months.

Posted: 18 Jul 2013 3:22PM GMT
How were you able to find records on the death of your ancestor at Valley Forge?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic