Search for content in message boards

Editing a source citation to include a repository

Editing a source citation to include a repository

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 4:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, I have two simple questions, but can't seem to find an answer in help which pertains to FTMM2.
1. How do I edit a source citation to include a repository? On a source citation now I get the error, "No repository is specified for this source" and the repository is greyed out. I need some step by step directions, for the most current Mac version of FTMM2, please.
2. What is the appropriate way to cite a WWW repository, for example, is Ancestry.com, "Ancestry.com" or www.Ancestry.com? I think records imported from Ancestry.com into the FTMM2 tree use the www designation first and I want to follow suit with other WWW based records.

Thanks!

Re: Editing a source citation to include a repository

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 7:01PM GMT
Hello again,
I did manage to solve my first question. The steps are:
Sources
Manage Sources
Unlinked
Under source citations, Right click on source
Select edit again
Then, you can insert a repository by using the arrow or adding a new repository

I have been able to insert repositories for many of my source citations, but not all.

Re: Editing a source citation to include a repository

Posted: 6 Nov 2013 6:39PM GMT
Edited: 6 Nov 2013 6:39PM GMT
I believe that this adds the Repository to the Source, which causes it to be then inherited by the Source Citation.

However, for me, having the Repository be editable as part of the Source Citation and not the Source seems to make more sense. As an example, imagine that I have multiple Birth Records from Ireland. I have collected them from different sources:

Family History Library, SLC
FamilySearch.org
General Register Office, Dublin
Ancestry.com

My inclination is to create a single source (Vital Records; Births; Ireland). Then on the Source-Citation, select the appropriate Repository.

Maybe I just need to change my thinking, and create 4 unique Sources (each with their own Repository).

Maybe I'm just rambling.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions