Search for content in message boards

Polak family in Austria

Polak family in Austria

Cheri Kuchta (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Polak
Would anyone have info on Thomas Polak from Austria? I know of 2 sons, Francis (Frank) and Joseph who came to the U.S., but there could be more of the family. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted: 12 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2002 5:25PM GMT
You require much more information than just Austria-Hungary for the place of origin of your Polak ancestors. Do you have at least a town, village or province? This surname can be found in Slovenia, [check out the Slovenian telephone directory at: http://tis.telekom.si for an example]. It my also be located in the Czech and Slovak republics, as well as parts of Poland. Try and narrow down the area of search, otherwise you may waste a lot of time following the wrong people. Hope this helps.

Re: Polak family in Austria

Leon (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2001 6:53PM GMT
Surnames: Jablonski, Krzyszkowski, Wojciechowski, Wyluda
My grandmother's mother was Maryanna Polak from Galacia. Granmother came to the US in 1895 and married Krzyzykowski. Any connection? Thank you, Leon

Cheri (Polak) (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2001 3:26PM GMT
Thanks for sending a reply to my posting. I don't think there is any family connection. I am looking for Frank (Francis) Polak, who was my grandfather. He married Helen Krol in the U.S. I don't know where exactly or when exactly he came to the U.S. Sorry I can't help.

Posted: 16 Dec 2001 1:43AM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2002 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: Polak, Pollak, Pollack, Hruz, Klamic
Hi,
my grandfather was Frank Polak, immigrated via Ellis Island in 1907. He was 1 of 11 children, none I believe were named joseph though. He settled in Milwaukee but also had relatives in Illinois I think. He had a Great great grandfather named Tomas Polak born in 1773 in Laskarska Nova Ves, Slovakia. I have quite a bit on the family. Let me know if this pans out. Take Care,
Tom

Posted: 4 Jun 2002 6:33AM GMT
Thomas, My GGrand mother Julianna Polak B. 1864 in Austria. Her father was Frank Polak and Elizabeth ?????. I do not know Frank Polak bith date or his parents. I would like to know about your other 11 sisters and brothers in your GGGrand fathers Family. Hope to here from you soon, Jo.

Posted: 5 Apr 2003 10:34PM GMT
Surnames: Polak, Chrobak, Dolichek(spelling?), Lekke
I may not be alot of help, but my grgrandmother's name was Anastazie Polak, they were from Lazy Austria... my mother has more info. Do you know Thomas's parents names?

Posted: 7 Apr 2003 3:13AM GMT
Perhaps it was Galizia or Galizy! There is a record at Ellis Island:

Anastazya Polak from Wilkowice, Galicia arrived 1913 age 18 Race of People Polish, single, traveling with Pawel POLAK age 45 and Antonia POLAK age 24 Anastazya is listed as Sister in Law to Pawel and Antonia, destination Warren Mass.

FYI in the late 1770s The Polish Empire was split 3 ways with the west going to Prussia, the south to Austria and the east to Russia. The Austrian part was known as Galizy or Galizia.

Robert Jerin

Leah (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2003 6:47PM GMT
thanks, but my Anastasia Polak married Johan Chrobak they both resided in Lazy Austria before WW1, immigrating to USA during the war. after the war, that part of Austria became part of Chekoslavakia (sorry about the spelling).

Posted: 7 Apr 2003 7:04PM GMT
Have you found their ship manifest at Ellis Island.

There is one for Jan (Czech for John or Johan) age 32 arr 1913 age from Lazy, Silesia, Austria Race of People Bohemian traveling with Anatstazie age 24 Josef age 10 months and Marie age 4 destination Ellsworth PA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic