Search for content in message boards

MORRISON in NEW JERSEY c1700

MORRISON in NEW JERSEY c1700

Posted: 17 Oct 2001 3:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MORRISON, LAMSON/LAMPSON, WARD, SWAINE
Does anyone show a THOMAS MORRISON or JOHN MORRISON living anywhere in New Jersey about 1700? John Morrison (son of Thomas) died in Somerset Co., NY in 1752.

Any leads will be appreciated.

Re: MORRISON in NEW JERSEY c1700

eric (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2003 2:19AM GMT
Yes, John Morrison of Baskingridge, NJ died in 1753. He was the son of Thomas Morrison, originally from Northern Ireland. Thomas is believed to have died around 1755-1757.
John had nine children and his wife's name was Margaret. At least one of his sons was a noted Revolutionary war hero and his descendents later removed to the Kentucky and Ohio areas.

Betty Clingman (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2003 3:00AM GMT
Surnames: MORRISON, LAMSON/LAMPSON, WARD, SWAINE, HARRISON
Eric,

Thanks for your reply to my query. I would love to know where you came by this informationon the Morrison family. It confirms the information I already had. The Rev. War "hero" was my gggg grandfather, Isaac MORRISON, who served a Capt. in the 1st NJ Militia and was severely wounded at Germantown. He later moved to Kentucky and died their in 1792.

Do you have any additional information on Isaac's father, John MORRISON, and his wife Margaret or on John's father Thomas MORRISON? Do you know when Thomas arrived in the colonies? Was John born here? I would be extremely interested in anything you have.

Thanks again for your reply.

Betty

eric (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2003 11:17PM GMT
Hi Betty---I got this information from the New Jersey Archives and from some material on file with the Tennessee Geneaological Society. There was an account book from the Morristown NJ area on file showing Thomas as a client from 1735-1755.
I've been researching this family because I have reason to believe that my great-grandfather's great-grandfather may have been Isaac's nephew. Do you have any information on Isaac's brothers? I know their names,but that's about it.
The Archives also mention an Archibald Morrison living near Morristown c.1735-1750. (con't.)

eric (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2003 11:22PM GMT
Archibald may have been related to Thomas, if so, it would seem that they came before 1735. The family from whom I'm related definately came from N. Ireland. There was a severe famine there in 1727-1729, so it's likely we came over around that time.
My ancestor was James Morrison (1758-1815) who married Sarah Primrose in 1786. There are several links to John's family with the Primroses, so I suspect they're related; I'm just not sure how exactly.

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 2:15AM GMT
Surnames: MORRISON, LAMSON/LAMPSON, WARD, SWAINE, HARRISON
Archibald Morrison is a new one for me. I would be interested in learning more about him. As I recall, the name of the merchant whose account ledgers are in the archives is Jacob Janeway. He had an establishment on the North Branch of the Raritan River in Somerset Co. If I ever get up to New Jersey, I definitely want to see those ledgers. Hopefully, they can provide new clues about Thomas Morrison.

Isaac Morrison (1745-1798) had three brothers and five sisters. In his will dated 17 June 1751 and proved 25 Oct 1753 in Somerset Co., NY, the father John Morrison names his wife Margrete and nine children, James, Sarah, Marey, Martha, Margrete, Agnes, David, Isaac and John. David, Isaac and John were minors at the time of their father’s death and guardianship records were filed in Somerset Co. In 1759, at age 17, David was made a ward of Joseph Kinnan of Baskingridge. In 1761, at age 16, Isaac was made a ward of William Hamilton of Baskingridge and John Hill of Elizabethtown. In 1762, at age 14, John was made a ward of his brothers James and David. By this time, David had reached the age of majority.

You probably already know that Isaac Morrison (1745-1798) was born in Somerset Co., NJ. In 1770 he was in Essex Co., NJ where there is record of his being witness of the bond of Elihu Ward. In 1773, he was one of the sponsors of a school being established at Newark Mountain by Caleb Cooper. In 1775, he placed an ad in the “Pennsylvania Journal” and identified himself as Isaac Morrison of Newark Mountain, NJ. Soon after the Rev. War, Isaac moved to Kentucky and remained there until his death on 28 Nov 1798 in Hardin Co., KY. His wife, Phebe Ward Lamson, remained in Essex Co., NJ until her death 25 May 1802. Isaac and Phebe had four known children: Sarah Louise Morrison who married Silas Cook in 1792 and died in 1797 leaving a husband and three children; Daniel Lamson Morrison, born 25 Aug 1776, who married Sarah Pigman in Ohio Co., KY in 1805 (9 children); John Morrison, born 8 Nov 1778 and died 13 May 1805, never married and had no children; and Louis Le Conte Morrison, born 24 Dec 1786 and died 5 July 1788 at the age of 1 year, 6 months. Daniel was the only one of Isaac’s sons who had offspring. I can give you more information on all of Daniel’s children if that would help you. It appears that Daniel did not move to Kentucky until about 1800.

Now for Isaac’s brothers. It appears that James Morrison was the eldest of Isaac siblings as he was named first in the will. He was of age when his father wrote his will in 1751 so we can set his date of birth as being prior to 1730 presuming the age of majority for males was 21. In 1767, James Morrison died in testate in Sussex Co., NJ and his brother, Isaac, was named administrator of his estate. I do not have any other information about James. I do not know if he married and/or had children.

David Morrison was born ca. 1741 in NJ and died in 1807 in Hardin Co., KY. It is believed that David arrived in Kentucky later than Isaac did. David married Mary (maiden name unknown) and they had eight children; Sally (married Amos Richardson); Mary (married James Gilleland in Hardin Co.); Jesse (married Rebecca Van Meter in Hardin Co.); Isaac (1784-1861) (married Adryan Woodring in Hardin Co.); Joel (married Elizabeth Van Meter in Hardin Co.); William (married Elizabeth Daugherty in Hardin Co.); Elizabeth; and Jane (married Jonathan Richardson in Lincoln Co., KY). Almost all of my information on the David Morrison branch is from Harold Morrison, a descendant of this line. Harold has done a lot of work on this branch.

I do not have any information of John Morrison, brother of Isaac. There was a John Morrison on the 1800 tax list in Warren Co., KY which originally was part of Lincoln Co. There also was a John Morrison in Newark Twp., Essex Co., NJ in the 1814 tax list. I do now know if either of these persons is John Morrison, brother of Isaac.

It is easy to confuse the various Isaac Morrisons in the early Kentucky records. Isaac (1745-1798) is the one whose name appears often in the list of men attending the conventions on Kentucky statehood. Isaac, son of David, was born about 1784 and would still have been a small child at the time these conventions were held. There is at least one more Isaac Morrison. That would be Isaac, son of Daniel Lamson Morrison and Sarah Pigman. However he was not born until 1822 so is fairly easy to keep separated from the others.

One other thing I might mention. The will of Isaac Morrison (1745-1798), Isaac nominates as one of the executors “my beloved friend James Morrison, lately from Mississippi”. This was not his brother James.

Several people have written to me wanting information on my New Jersey Morrison line. I hope this helps someone. If you need more on a particular person, let me know and I’ll see what I have. Sorry this is so long.

eric (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2003 3:17AM GMT
Thank you for the info on David Morrison---the Janeway books were the ones I had seen.
Archibald Morrison is mentioned as living in the same part of New Jersey. In the archives, he's mentioned as a witness at a trial and posting a reward for a runaway indentured servant &c. I'll have to get back to you with the dates on those--they were in 1730s and 1740s.
The nailing business that Isaac owned was purchased from in-laws of my ancestor's (James Morrison) wife, Sarah Primrose. Also, a will dated 1742 and probated in 1750 (con't)

eric (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2003 3:25AM GMT
lists John Morrison and several others related to the Primrose family as creditors. This has been what has lead me to connect my family with yours in some way. There is a possibility they may have been in New England before moving to New Jersey.
The Archives mention a James Morrison who drown in a ferry accident off Long Island in 1763 as a resident of Sussex Co. I don't know whether or not this was Isaac's brother and his estate was unsettled until 1767.

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 3:33AM GMT
Do you think there is any chance your James Morrison could be the person Isaac referred to in his will as "my beloved friend, James Morrison"?

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 3:40PM GMT
I need to make a correction to the message I posted yesterday. The Isaac Morrison (ca. 1784-1861), son of David, was married twice. His first wife was Adryan Woodring whom he married in 1806. His second wife was Elizabeth "Betsey" Haycraft whom he married in 1812. According to my notes, Elizabeth was the mother of Isaac's children.

Sorry for the confusion.
Betty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic