Search for content in message boards

Davis District

Davis District

Sue Ellen Hartford (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2005 5:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Mr Pierce,
Thanks so much for the info. It was in the 1930 census.My Uncle Thomas J. Hartford.It just has list of names nothing else to tell me anything..Thanks Again

Re: Davis District

Posted: 13 Nov 2005 5:30PM GMT
Surnames: Kibler, Burner, Coverstone, etc.
At the top of the page, in the 1930 Shenandoah County, Virginia Davis District census, it states that it is the State Prison Road Camp #29.
Thomas Hartford , age 17, prisoner, b. VA, both parents b. VA

Posted: 13 Nov 2005 6:25PM GMT
Mary Randall
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
I will check that out..Thanks Again.

Tom Pierce (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2005 1:03AM GMT
Sue,
The central administration of the camps was the Dept of Corrections in Richmond, but I don't have any idea whether they kept those old records, or whether you could get them. If you know where he lived, there should be a record in the County Clerk's Office of the trial and sentencing; that's a public record and available to anyone. If you find that, be aware that VA had administrative sentences, where a man might go on the road for 6 months for non-support, for example, and, once in the system, receive another year or so from the guards for attitude, general principle, or whatever.
Tom

Posted: 15 Nov 2005 2:05AM GMT
Mr. Pierce,
Thanks so much for your info.Thats a good idea to go to the County Clerk's Office I will check that out..Thanks again for all your help
Sue Ellen.

tom pierce (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2005 2:28AM GMT
The record you are looking for is probably among those turned over to the Library of Virginia. I don't know the progress on archiving those records, but you can check with them. Your inquiry brought something else to mind and, when I looked for that, I saw mention of the record being transferred.

Sue Ellen hartford (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2005 5:55PM GMT
Mr Pierce,
Gosh thanks for all your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic