Search for content in message boards

COCKBURNS OF BERWICKSHIRE, SCOTLAND

COCKBURNS OF BERWICKSHIRE, SCOTLAND

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 5:28PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Cockburn and associated spouse names
I have recently purchased the 3-volume set of books entitled "BERWICKSHIRE MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTONS - pre 1855".

These volumes are categorized alphabetically by names and by church parishes all throughout Berwickshire, and list the details of gravestones dating prior to 1855.

If you have name/place and approximate date details on any Cockburns in Berwickshire, I will gladly check the reference books for additional or confirming information.

'Also interested in comparing information and possibly linking family trees with anyone researching Cockburns in Berwickshire - particularly in Duns and/or Ayton.

'Looking forward to hearing from other Cockburn descendants!

Cheers,
Tracy (nee Cockburn) Trim

Re: COCKBURNS OF BERWICKSHIRE, SCOTLAND

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 7:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi I have a James Cockburn b 1845 Coldingham, father James Cockburn ~ ploughman b 1826, just wondering if these people come into any of your trees?

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 7:43PM GMT
Hi, sorry to disappoint you, but the only James Cockburn born in Coldingham in my tree was born in 1774 to John Cockburn and Mary Loraine.

I have 77 James Cockburns in my tree, but - believe it or not - yours isn't one (or two!) of them.

If there's anyone else I can check for you, please let me know.

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 4:04AM GMT
Surnames: COCKBURN
Thanks for the offer!

Thomas listed below likely died 1853-4 Largo, Fife. I wonder if he might be in your book? Others listed below are wife and kids. Missing some details and particularily interested in Joseph & John details.

Thomas Cockburn b Preston, Berwickshire abt 1792, Gardner.
Elspit Cockburn b Ratho, Midlothian abt 1800.

Alexander b 21 Feb 1821.
Jane b May 1825.
John Cockburn b Ratho, Midlothian abt 1823, Ag Lab.
Thomas b14 Jun 1829.
Joseph b 1830.
David Cockburn b Newburn, Fifeshire abt 02 May 1834, Ag Lab.
James Cockburn b Scoonie, Fifeshire abt 1837.
Margaret Cockburn b Scoonie, Fifeshire abt 31 Jul 1841.

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 4:04PM GMT
Unfortunately, my books only list burials IN Berwickshire, and not the births (or burials in other counties, such as Fifeshire).

I've checked through my list of Cockburns, and I cannot find any entries that match the people you've listed, so I'm afraid we're talking about separate branches of the Cockburn family.

If I should come across any information that might be relevant to your search, though, I will certainly contact you. 'Sorry that I wasn't able to help...

Cheers,
Tracy

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 4:24PM GMT
Thanks for looking!

It was only the first one, Thomas, which is listed as Preston, Berwickshire that i felt might be in the data you mentioned.

Posted: 17 Apr 2012 12:38AM GMT
Hi Tracy, My name is Andrew Charles Dunse called Charlie. According to family legend I am related to Robert Dunse M Agnes Cockburn 1698 but I can only trace back to Robert Dunse 1780-1830 M Marion Harley Tranent Scotland. If you happen to find any info in your search would you please email me at cdunse@tadaust.org.au. Many thanks.
Charlie Dunse
Colac, Victoria, Australia

Posted: 17 Apr 2012 11:08AM GMT
Surnames: Cockburn & Dunse
Hi Charlie,

I was just doing some research that included the Dunse family yesterday, and - for a moment - thought we were talking about the same group of people, as I linked an Agnes Cockburn to a George Dunse, but this was a marriage in Whitsome, Berwickshire in 1841.

I will certainly keep your inquiry in mind as I continue to research the Cockburns, and will definitely contact you should I come across the correct Agnes Cockburn/Dunse family connection.

Cheers,
Tracy Trim (nee Cockburn)

Posted: 18 Apr 2012 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: Cogburn
Charlie: My search is for Cogburn (could be the same) I know the name is Scotch and my family has been in the US since at least the 1700's. n I have yet to get further back than North Carolina. I deal with many Aussies since we are in the antique parts business. My e-mail is patstrks@aol.com Danese Dykes

Posted: 18 Apr 2012 11:42AM GMT
Surnames: Cogburn and Cockburn
Danese,

I have recently linked the Cogburns of Georgia, Texas and Arkansas to the Cockburn family in Scotland, and via DNA testing we have proven that these are members of the same family.

Does your family include a George Cockburn/Cogburn born in 1746? Various researchers had listed this George with a U.S. birth, but we've proven him to have been born in Edinburgh, Scotland instead, and - as I mentioned - have linked him to the family of Cockburns there.

If you'd like more information, or would like to compare notes on the Cogburns, please email me at tracytrim@rogers.com

Cheers,
Tracy (nee Cockburn) Trim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic