Search for content in message boards

Payne Cherokee Connection

cindy franje (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 1999 4:45AM GMT
Anyone with infor on Payne CHerokee Conection, or ATW Payne, please notify me at:
jrregirl@yahoo.com
Thank you, Cindy Franje

Payne Cherokee connection

Nancy (Payne) Kipp (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 1999 1:22PM GMT
I know about the Cherokee connection.

Valeria Duckworth (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 1999 9:19AM GMT
Nancy,
I too know of the cherokee connection, and have the applications of my ancestor, Mary Jane Payne, and that of her uncle, Benjamin Franklin Payne. I also have the numbers of many more of them.
Does anyone have a picture of John F. Payne (son of John Carroll Payne) or of his children?

Valeria Duckworth (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 1999 9:20AM GMT
Nancy,
I too know of the cherokee connection, and have the applications of my ancestor, Mary Jane Payne, and that of her uncle, Benjamin Franklin Payne. I also have the numbers of many more of them.
Does anyone have a picture of John F. Payne (son of John Carroll Payne) or of his children? If so, please contact me at valduck@hpnc.com

Edith Smith (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 1999 5:27PM GMT
The Paynes I am searching for, Tom Tobe Payne (brothers) we were told were Cherokee Indian. They lived in Arkansas, but not sure which town or county. Tobe was married to Annie McGrew. Anything familiar?

Cherokee connection

Nancy Payne Kipp (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 1999 3:59PM GMT
Can you tell me what you know? Thanks, Nancy Payne Kipp

Nancy Jane Payne

Posted: 14 Dec 1999 9:43PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jul 2001 5:39PM GMT
Can you tell me Nancy's parents names? My ancestor was the brother of John Carroll Payne, who was Benjamin F Payne's father.

Thanks for any help.

cherokee connection

K.Moore (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 1999 9:12AM GMT
My ggrand mother was Leona M.? Payne. She was said to be 3/4 or full cherokee. Could you give me any info. on the connection?
thanx so much,
K.Moore

Nancy Jane Payne

Posted: 30 Dec 1999 11:49AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 10:22PM GMT
I have a Nancy J. Payne b.c1824, who was the daughter of John Carroll Payne. John Carroll Payne (b. between 1790-1800, in Franklin, Georgia, d. 1863-1864 (1864 according to Benjamin Franklin's application for Cherokee funds) in Louden, Tennessee. John Carroll Payne was the son of John Payne Sr. and Nancy Ann Henslee. John Carroll Payne and Jane (Susan)Walls had a son named Benjamin F. Payne b. 1830, and other children named John F., Polly (probably a nickname), Charlotta, George Washington, Malissa, Susan/Susannah H. M., Preston, A.T.W., and Julia. Benjamin Franklin Payne lists his siblings as Polly Ann 1814-1894, John F. 1816-1864, George W. 1819-, Charlottie(sic)1823-1902, Nancy 1825-1861, Milleie (sic) 1834-. He shows Nancy Payne married Rob Waters and lived in Franklin County, Georgia. My cousin has Nancy J. Payne married on 15 Jan 1845 to Wm. Malone in Monroe County, Tennessee, and that she died in 1861.
Nancy must have married young as she is not listed on the Cherokee County, NC 1850 Census with John C. and Jane Paine. This census only lists Susanna, (24), Melissa (31), Franklin (17), Preston (17), Julia (8). John is not on the Cherokee County 1840 Census.
Mary Jane Payne (my ancestor), daughter of John F. Payne shows her aunts and uncles as B.F, Geo., A.T.W., Press, Lemual, Susan a, Malicia, Charlotta, Nancy, July, Polly. You will note she uses only nicknames for them. She also uses only nicknames for her siblings, and several are not listed.
By the way, John C. Payne (shown as Payn on the census) had a Jincy Payne, age 63, living with them as of 1860. I only have the information from the Monroe County Genealogist. I have not looked up the census record yet.
John Sr. and Nancy Henslee also had children named Thomas, Benedict, and Greenbury. I do not have a record of a Nancy Jane as their child.
Several of John Carroll Payne's children are buried at the Coker Creek Cemetery in Monroe County, Tennessee.

John F. Payne

Posted: 14 Jan 2000 6:58PM GMT
Edited: 8 Oct 2001 1:57AM GMT
I have a John F. payne who married Mary Ann
Hammontree, in Monroe Co. Tn. They are my GG-
grandparents. I have all of their children.
Susan Pocohantas Payne Harris is my G-grandmother. let me hear from you. are you related ? Wilma
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions