Search for content in message boards

Vandiver-Frost families in Loudoun Co., VA & SC

Vandiver-Frost families in Loudoun Co., VA & SC

Posted: 18 May 2007 2:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vandiver, Vandiveer, Frost, Ringo, Hall, Stites
I am trying to sort out who the Frost family was who married into the Vandiveer/Vandivere family in Loudoun County, VA. Some of them moved on to South Carolina, I think.

First was Ann or Anna Frost, who married George Vandiveer in about 1750. Joseph Frost appears on the tax list in 1775. He married Tabitha Vandiveer. Jedediah Frost in on the tax lists in 1776-77. He married Sarah Vandiveer. Tabitha and Sarah were daughters of Ann and George Vandiveer.

There was also Josiah Frost, and his wife Elizabeth (believed to be Elizabeth Purcell or Parcell: they married in NJ) who purchased land in Loudoun in about 1780. Josiah was also witness to a deed of sale with Joseph. Others who were witnesses or parties to deeds were Joseph Ringoe (Ringo, Ringer?), John Stites (sometimes mistaken for Stiles), and the Halls. These people were related to the Frosts of NJ. Josiah is almost certainly the Josiah Frost who later lived in what is now Frostburg, MD until his death about 1813.

Also, John Frost was on the Loudoun Co. Tax list in 1763.

Who were these Frosts? How were they related? Do any of the Vandiver genealogists have any information on the Frosts' ancestry?

Thanks,
Charnee Smit

Re: Vandiver-Frost families in Loudoun Co., VA & SC

Posted: 9 Jun 2007 12:56PM GMT
The Ringo Family History reflects Philip Ringo bought 8 acres of land in Loudoun County County, Va on 5-4-1778 and sold the land to Josiah/Joseph Frost on 12-10-1779. There apparently was some complications on this sale. In 1780 the Ringo family was forced to give an "indenture of offment" (relinquishment) for Frost to whom they had sold the land. The deed revealed that the land in question had at one time been part of property owned by "Elijah Major", the name given to the first child of Joseph Ringo, Philip Ringo's youngest brother.

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 12:07AM GMT
Surnames: Frost, Ringo, Major, Vandiver
Thanks for the information on that land transaction between Josiah Frost and Philip Ringo. I was aware of the deed, but didn't catch on to the problem with it. You say part of the land had formerly been owned by "Elijah Major", the name given to the first child of Joseph Ringo. Do you mean that the child was named after Elijah Major? There were people named Major, Magers, etc. associated with the Frosts in Maryland, and I assume they were acquainted in Loudoun County.

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 1:49PM GMT
The Major Ringo line is in volume V of the Ringo Family History. Johnny Ringo, the Toombstone AZ gunfighter is in this line. Major Ringo, b. 8-15-1755 in Hunterdon Co, NJ. He married Elizabeth Hazelrigg, b. 1766 in VA, ca 1786 in Prince Willaim Co, VA. Major Ringo died 7-15-1838 in Montgomery Co, KY. His wife d. 10- -1853, in Pendleton Co, KY. Major Ringo was involved in several land deals in Va and KY. Things got real complicated after his death. He had 11 children, causing distribution of his real estate holdings to be difficult. Jim Ringo

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 5:14PM GMT
This is an old thread, I hope the posters get this.

I do not have many details on the Frost family, but believe the eldest in the area was actually John Frost who also appears in the 1763 Loudoun Co., Tax List. I have seen notes which indicate that Josiah and Joseph were the same person, but this was not proven by anything that I am aware of.

Ann who married George Vandiveer was definitely a Harbin and not a Frost. How the name got applied to her, I don't know. There have been a couple people suggest that after her second husband, Sanford Gorham, died in 1772, she remarried to John Frost. There is nothing to support this claim either. Another tradition floating around is that she died in 1776, the last record of her being a land transaction in 1774 with son Edward Vandiver.

You have the marriages of Joseph to Tabitha Vandiver and Jedediah to Sarah Vandiver correct. I only have children for Jedediah and Sarah as Edward Vandiver Frost and Jedediah Jr. They are found in South Carolina near Edward Vandiver, but I believe later moved on to Tennessee or Kentucky. Going on memory.

The Frosts, from what I can tell, may have came out of west New Jersey. Nothing definitive about the Virginia/Maryland group of this family, they seem to "appear" in the Loudoun Co., VA area.

Interesting, though, this Ringo family ... are they from the Swedish Ringo family of the New Sweden area? If they are, there may be a clue there.

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 6:39PM GMT
Surnames: Vandiveer, Frost
Thanks for the information on the Frost/Vandiveer connections. I appreciate the correction about Ann who married George Vandiveer.

I will supply info to you that Joseph and Josiah Frost were two different people, as Josiah witnesses a deed by Joseph (or was it the other way around? anyway they were not the same person.)

I agree that the Frosts were from NJ. It is my theory that they were descended from Abner Frost of Elizabeth, NJ. Abner named his son Jedediah and grandson Josiah in his will, and no further record has been found of Jedediah in NJ.

I still am trying to figure out who Joseph Frost was. I am sure he was a close relative of Josiah. Josiah, Jr. of MD named a son Joseph, which also suggests a relationship.

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 10:18PM GMT
I did not really believe that Joseph and Josiah were the same person.

I was looking at some other notes - it would appear that Jedediah Jr. was in Pendleton District, South Carolina in the 1800 Census. I cannot find my notes on Jedediah Sr., but as I recall he arrived in Camden District, South Carolina at the same time as Edward Vandiver, around 1779. I just assumed that they moved their together. Edward's brother George does not move to South Carolina until around 1784, after the war.

I was trying to find some other notes, but have misplaced them. I know that Joseph and Tabitha (Vandiver) Frost execute a deed of lease from William Lane Jr. at the same time as Edward Vandiver. They witness each other's deeds along with Benjamin and Cornelius Hall and Hanson Day. Hanson, I believe, was Matthew Day's brother (Matthew married Armenthia Vandiver). I cannot prove anything about the Hall's, but believe that Benjamin and Cornelius are sons of John Hall who witnessed George Vandiveer's Will. I think the Hall family is a significant one, but cannot seem to put it together.

The Ringo connection, though, is one worth pursuing. Seems like a Philip Jansen de Ring is considered one of the immigrant ancestors. Arrived in New Netherlands and owned land on both sides of the "South River" as I recall. I will ask a friend who knows more about that family. It is possible that the Frosts moved with the Ringo's or others I have found in the area originally from the "South River" area.

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 10:55PM GMT
The Halls in my Frost family also came from NJ and before that CT. Abner Frost, the father of Jedediah of NJ, was married to Rebecca Hall, and as I recall they were married in CT. But I don't know any more about them.

I, too am interesed to know more about the Ringos.

Posted: 10 Feb 2010 3:34PM GMT
It appears to Frost and Ringo families left Amwell Township, Hunterdon County, NJ around 1772 and settled in Prince William County, VA in Loudoun. Philip Ringo bought 8 acres of land on Piney Branch of Bull Run in Cameron Parish, Loudoun County in 1780 from John Walker and sold it the next year to Joseph Frost Apparently there was some difficulty with this land sale when the Ringos were forced give an "indenture of offment" (relinguishment) for Frost.
Philip Ringo died at age 35 and his wife Margaret (Peggy) had considerable difficulty in resolving his estate, including the 8 acres of land sold to Joseph Frost.

Posted: 10 Feb 2010 9:02PM GMT
James, do you have a source reference for the info on the Frosts and ringos leaving Hunterdon Co., NJ around 1772? I'd love to have a documentation on this!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions