Bob Bowers (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GRIFFIN, NELLIGAN, NELIGAN
Jeremiah GRIFFIN b Dingle ca 1820
m. Johanna NELLIGAN/NELIGAN
emigrated to NB Canada ca 1842
to US (MA) ca 1849
Need Dingle info. Will share Canada and US info.

Griffin / Neligan

Posted: 30 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Feb 2002 9:28AM GMT
Surnames: Griffin, Neligan
Some of my relatives were Neligans from Ballinvownig, Dingle.
A family of Griffins came from Kinard, only 2 miles further east, a "Big John" Griffin who lived in the mid to late 1700s being as far back as I can go. He was a substantial farmer, some of whose family emigrated.

More Nelligans

Carolanne (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: NELLIGAN, GEOGHEGAN, MCLAUGHLIN, GILMAN, BAILEY, CONANT

I am a Nelligan but my grandfather John Nelligan was spelled Neligan back in 1870 on John Street where he was born.
My ggrandmother was Johanna Neligan

I have some other Nelligan birth records I would share.
write to me at baags@webtv.net
I am
Carolanne

Griffin/Neligan

Robert E. Neligan (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Neligan, Griffin
I recorded the following from the Marriage Register of St.Mary's Church in Dingle while looking for Neligan records from the Dingle peninsula.Jerry Griffin-Johanna Neligan married on 29 Feb 1840. The witnesses were John Neligan and Daniel Brosnan. The couple are not listed in the Baptismal Register so they must have left the area soon after the marriage.

griffin

Mary Fannin (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: griffin
Terry:
I'm trying to find where my gggrandfather immigrated from in Ireland. He is James Griffin (Wife: Johanna ?). I have a document that shows he entered the U.S. via Buffalo, New York on August 10, 1837. I cannot find any information about where in Ireland he came from etc. Is there any chance James could be related to your Big John Griffin?? Thanks for your help. Mary :)

James Griffin

Posted: 7 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Feb 2002 9:28AM GMT
Surnames: Griffin
Sorry Mary,
only just noticed your message...I have been off the air most of this year!

Griffin was a very common name on the Dingle Peninsula, so the chances of their being identifiably related are not vast. You would need to find from Death or Marriage records etc where in Kerry your James Griffin came from.

Big John Griffin was back in the late 1700s.

Good luck with your efforts.

Terry H

Big John Griffin

Posted: 20 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2002 8:15PM GMT
Surnames: Griffin, Ashe
Terry, do you have any more details on Big J.G. other than what is on the Thomas Ashe Family Tree? I've wondered about his life & the fact that he was a smuggler--how did that work in an out-of=the-way place like Kinard? Is he the same John Griffin who was shot dead in the street (@ 1792)in Dingle for protesting against the English. Anything you know would be interesting to me.

Did you ever get anywhere w/the Gedcom I sent?

Suzanne

Griffin/Nelligan

Pat Griffin (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Griffin
Hi Terry

My father always told me that we were descended from 'Big' John Griffin. My ggrandfather was born c1824 but that is as far back as I can go. There were several Griffin families in Kinard and the neighbouring townland of Tubber where my Griffins lived at one time. I would appreciate if you could contact me direct with what you have on the Griffins.
Thanking you.
Pat.

Thomas Ashe family tree

Posted: 3 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2001 2:22AM GMT
Surnames: Griffin, Ashe, O'Connor
My gggrandparents were Patrick Ashe/Ellen Griffin. My great grandmother was Elizabeth Ashe. She married Jeremiah O'Connor. They were from the Dingle area.
I was wondering if you ever came across these names in your research??

Re: Thomas Ashe family tree

Posted: 20 Jan 2003 6:33PM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2003 4:51PM GMT
Do you ave any details as regards when your Patrick Ashe was born, emigrated or died. Thre was a Patrick and four other Ashe brothers who went to US from Kinard East but there are no further details.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic