Search for content in message boards

SIMS William

SIMS William

Posted: 24 Apr 2007 7:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SIMS COX
I have recently purchased a copy of my great grandfather's birth certificate, and have discovered that my great great grandfather, William Thomas SIMS, was born c1834 in St John, New Brunswick, CANADA. He worked as a gold miner, then at some time, emigrated to England, where he married Caroline COX, in 1853. Then later they emigrated to NSW Australia, where my great grandfather, Charles Robert SIMS was born, in 1863.
I am unable to find any trace of him either in Birth Records or Censuses. Can anyone help me
Thanks Kay

Re: SIMS William

Posted: 30 Jun 2007 3:41PM GMT
Thomas Michael Sims is my gg grandfather. He came to Australia in 1857 on the ship "Anna Maria" with his wife Caroline Cox and their daughter Matilda (b1856 in England). They had a son George in 1858 in Sydney and later went to the Goldfields around Young where Mary Ann was born 1861, Charles 1863, Maria 1866 and
Mary Jane 1868. Caroline came back to Sydney at some time it appears without Thomas. She died in Canterbury and was buried in the same grave as William Sims (d1902). Thomas died in Parkes in 1913. On Williams death certificate it names Matilda, Maria, Charles and Mary Jane as his children, but on all of their birth certificates except Charles, Thomas is named as the father. Mary Ann(b1861) is my ggrandmother. There is no birth certificate to be found, but family stories confirm that she was born in Young 1861. Family folklore says she was brought up by someone other than her mother. Perhaps Thomas had a child to someone other than Caroline? Mary Ann and Matilda lived around the Goldfield areas and Matilda married John Edmonds who was also a miner.
Caroline's death certificate records all of her children except Mary Ann. I haven't researched Charles much yet but he had married Lucy Wells and had 3 children that I have found so far - Lawrence 1898 Gladys 1900 and Edith 1905

Re: SIMS William

Posted: 1 Jul 2007 4:57AM GMT
This is amazing, and very confusing. We definitely have the same family tree, but this is what I have discovered....
By purchasing a copy of Charles Robert SIMS' birth certificate, I found that William Thomas SIMS was born in St John, New Brunswick, AMERICA (now CANADA)in c1834. He married Caroline COX c1853 in LONDON. Caroline was born c1835 in Berkshire, ENGLAND. Their other children were Matilda born c1856, George c1858 and Sarah c1861.
Charles did indeed marry Lucy Ellen WELLS, and eventually moved to Kalgoorlie WA.
So we seem to have Caroline COX, married to, and had children with Thomas AND William SIMS...brothers, maybe? I have found a record of the marriage between Thomas and Caroline (Free BMD)c1853, in London, and also found the record of Thomas, Caroline and Caroline M SIMS' arrival in 1857. So I could see the corresponding matches with my William and Caroline SIMS. I've been trying to find records of William's birth in Canada, with no luck, yet.
We have a very large branch of the SIMS family here in WA, as Charles and Lucy had eleven kids. I'm actually in the process of organizing a family reunion, for the 27th of January, next year.
Please contact me at kaynkev@bigpond.com, so hopefully we can unravel this puzzle. This is so very exciting, and very curious.
Hope to hear from soon,
Your cousin,
Kay.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic