Search for content in message boards

AWOL RECORDS

AWOL RECORDS

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 4:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Would like to find records of awol soldiers from WW1. If anyone has any idea where this might be obtained, it would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: AWOL RECORDS

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 1:24PM GMT
They would probably be with his military records. Most were destroyed in the fire of 1973. AWOL I wouldn't put to much importance. He could have been gone for a few hours to a few days. It could be bad if missed deployment. If he had been gone longer than 30 days it would be desertion.
Bob

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 5:09AM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I guess it would be more like desertion record (if such exists).gary

Posted: 30 Aug 2011 2:58PM GMT
Surnames: Tuttle Brock
Did you ever locate desertion record for WWI? I am also seeking such a record for my gr grandfather who was said to have left the army and was later married and living under an assumed name (which my family still carries). My dad has the WWI hat that apparently belonged to him... we were told there used to be a letter with it but it was lost before my dad got the hat. I have never found any WWI record of him including draft records although I did find a draft record on the brother-in-law from whom he assumed his name and for his brother, who was supposedly on the Lusitania. Just wondering if you ever found a source for such records outside of the ones that were burned. Thanks, Holly brollyhock@yahoo.com

Posted: 31 Aug 2011 11:17AM GMT
There are some records for US WWI soldiers at the US National Archives in College Park, MD. These records are in record group 120 - Records of Divisions. ARC identifier # 301641

Records of the 1st-20th, 26th-42d, and 76th-103d Divisions, 1917-19

The records are organized by Division, so you need to know which division your person was in.

Within the records of each division, the arrangement is in three parts: historical files, general administrative correspondence, and divisional issuances.

Posted: 31 Aug 2011 6:37PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2011 6:58PM GMT
I am not sure about AWOL specifically; but I know under military searches on Ancestry.com they have a section that list infractions or punishments gotten from the military. I forget but I think you would also find that on the MIC ( Medal Index Cards); because certain military findings will make null and void any medals or accomiadations you might have gotten or were getting. They also list if the medal or medals were reinstated. It cettainly would effect a Good Conduct medal. Cowardlines or treason would automatically effect a medal to be awarded. It might effect awards already given. I might be wrong on the last statement. I have only seen the following in the movies and don't know if it occurs; but I would believe it is true. They publicaly have an officer stand in front of a company or Regiment and adornments on a uniform are ripped off. In some cases a ceremonial sword that you wear with Dress uniforms are asked for and you hand it over. I only have seen this in the movies, but I think it holds fact to it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions