Search for content in message boards

Sailing ship "Horizon"

Sailing ship "Horizon"

Posted: 24 Apr 2009 3:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ollerton
Ancestors of mine departed from Liverpool, May, 1856 bound for Utah. They sailed on the above sailing ship. Can anyone give me details of this ship, I have searched and although I have seen the name mentioned there are no details. My relatives surname was Ollerton.

Re: Sailing ship "Horizon"

Posted: 25 Apr 2009 9:02AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Hello

go to google

click "Images"

type in Ship Named "horizon" 1856

and a few pictures come up

Posted: 25 Apr 2009 10:36AM GMT
Surnames: Ship "Horizon"
Thank you very much, I knew some kind person would have the answer!

Chris

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 4:30PM GMT
The ship "Horizon" 1800 ton, launched at Ellsworth, Me. April,1855

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 1:17AM GMT
Surnames: Bradshaw
Sorry, I don't really have any information for you, but I just wanted to mention that my ancestors sailed on the same ship to America. Were your ancestors going west to join the saints in the Salt Lake Valley?

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 8:34AM GMT
I actually got an artist's impression of what the Horizon would have looked like. Alice Ollerton (nee Dandy) was my gg-grandfather's sister, they sailed to America on the Horizon. She and her husband died on the Plains of Wyoming. I have contact with her descendant who gave me a copy of the account of what it was like. They must really have believed to endure that. Do you know where your people came from? We actually live quite close to the vilagge where they lived in Lancashire.

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 4:26AM GMT
That's amazing! My ancestors lived in Bolton, Lancashire! I don't know if you've heard the story of Elizabeth Bradshaw, but she's my gggg-grandmother. She traveled with the Martin Handcart Company. She and all her five children made it all the way to the Salt Lake Valley. Wow, I can't believe you live close to where she lived. That's really cool!

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 8:10AM GMT
I am from Bolton! We now live in Southport, my husband was a coastguard and worked at Liverpool. As they say, it's a small world! Do you know whereabouts in Bolton they lived? There is a website but I can't remember the name of it. I was very surprised to find that on my Dad's side of the family that they lived in Eccleston and Croston. We go to Eccleston reglarly and I've often wondered what made the family move to Bolton. I know that Alice and others were persecuted because of the religion and went to live in Preston. It's amazing how far they managed to travel in those days.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions