Search for content in message boards

Hoge – Howe Family, Pulaski VA

Hoge – Howe Family, Pulaski VA

Posted: 4 Jan 2011 6:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to locate the cemetery at Sunnyside, Back Creek, Pulaski County, Virginia where Howes and Hoges are buried. My g-grandmother was a Howe.

I have a picture of the house but I haven't a clue where it is in Pulaski County. Can anyone offer assistance or point me to some of the Hoge or Howe family who might know?

Bill Bates
Charleston SC

Re: Hoge – Howe Family, Pulaski VA

Posted: 4 Jan 2011 8:23PM GMT
Surnames: HOGE/HOWE
My husband is a 4th Great-Grandson of Daniel Howe. We have gone to the Dublin VA area 2-3 times to try and see the house. We were given directions by a family member, but were told that the cemetery is not accessible to the public---we have taken pix of the gate leading to the house etc, and from the road you can see buildings in the distance. There is a NO TRESPASSING sign by the entrance to the long drive leading to the homes. I am sending you the directions we received a few years ago to find the location of Sunnyside--they follow:

"If you want to get to the vicinity of the cemetery, take Route 100 north out of Dublin, Pulaski County, VA, to Highland Road (about 4 to 5 miles north of Dublin), turn right on Highland Rd, go about one and 1/2 miles, and you will see two old stone pillars and a gate on the north/left side of the road. We have attached a photo of this gate and the view into the valley. Sunnyside was across the valley, along Back Creek. You will probably need a detailed map to find these roads."

If you are interested, I can send you copies of the photos we were able to take, from the road. It is possible that by now the road, and therefore the cemetery, is more accessible, but I don't know how to find out that information.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck!

Dianne Terrell

Posted: 4 Jan 2011 9:04PM GMT
You are fantastic. I figure -- if nothing else -- I'll try to locate the property and then call or mail the owner.

According to my data, Daniel Howe (1758-1838) was my 3rd-great grandfather. Daniels grand-daughter was Agnes Shannon Howe, my great-grandmother.

Bill in Charleston SC

Posted: 5 Jan 2011 12:02AM GMT
Which home are you all referring to? Sunnyside or Belle Hampton? Daniel Howe was my 5th great grandfather, and I believe they are all buried at Sunnyside. My cousin now own the adjoining property known as Belle Hampton. I'm checking with her to see if any family cemetaries are located on that property.

Posted: 5 Jan 2011 2:29AM GMT
Hey Jim-

I was talking about Sunnyside. I didn't realize that Belle Hampton (it was Hayfield in the early day, I think) was right next door.

We are cousins; Daniel Howe was my 3rd-great grandfather. My great-grandmother was Agnes Shannon Howe (who married a DeJarnette)who was born at Sunnyside.

Maybe your cousin who owns Sunnyside would let me visit and take a picture or two.

thnx-

Bill Bates
Charleston, SC

Posted: 5 Jan 2011 3:32AM GMT
My line goes: Daniel Howe --> Eleanor Haven Howe --> Eliza Hoge --> James Hoge Tyler (Governor of Virginia 1898-1902 and my GG Grandfather).

My cousin (who owns Belle Hampton, not Sunnyside) says that Randal J. Kirk, the CEO of New River Pharmaceuticals, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randal_J._Kirk) owns the rest of the property up there now. As I understand it, the cemetery sits on his land.

Posted: 5 Jan 2011 1:13PM GMT
Thanks --

I'll write him.

Major Daniel Howe-->John Dunbar Howe-->Agnes Shannon Howe-->Margaret Boyd DeJarnette-->Agnes DeJarnette Crawford-->William Bates

Agnes Shannon Howe was born at Sunnyside and of course Daniel is buried there. I have a pen&ink picture of Sunnyside if you'd like to see it. It's framed, so I'll take a digital photo of it and attempt to post it here.

thnx again-

Bill Bates
Charleston, SC

Posted: 10 Jan 2011 9:15PM GMT
Hey Jim --

I assume Susan D(last name redacted)in Lynchburg is your cousin? I've put in a call to her. I've attached three image files pertaining to Sunnyside. This -- to my knowledge -- is the Daniel Howe homestead. I have a rough estimate of where the house is located, but I can't see it on Google maps satellite.

Let me know if you get these files
Bill Bates in Charleston
Attachments:

Posted: 11 Jan 2011 12:19AM GMT
Assumed correctly. While I've been to Belle Hampton a half dozen times, I've never been to Sunnyside or any of the other parts of the adjacent properties. The only map I have is in the front of "Listen to the Mockingbird" (attached).
Attachments:

Posted: 11 Jan 2011 2:20AM GMT
You have To Kill a Mocking Bird? Cool. I don't; sister has my mother's copy.

BB
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions