Search for content in message boards

Jacob MOATS

Jacob MOATS

Posted: 29 Sep 2004 5:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Sep 2004 1:05PM GMT
Surnames: MOATS, THOMAS, MONN, BURGER
Hi All,

I have been researching The MOATS/MOATES/MOTZ line around the Pa/Md. border, on and off, for 27 years. Since 1992-93 I was lead to believe that a Henry Moats(b. ca 1805 Pa.) who m. a Catherine THOMAS(b. 1807 Wash. Twp., Franklin Co., Pa. was the father of my Edward Moats(b. 14 Feb. 1844 d. 14 July 1912) m. Christina Burger b. 22 Jan 1842 d. 1927(<-- new info). I was suprised to find this info:

Moats Edward Moats, s/o Jacob & Catherine (Monn) Moats,
b 14 Feb. 1844,
d 14 July 1912; 68 yrs., 5 months. *Grove Funeral Home Record.

My query is, Would anybody have any information on this Jacob MOATS? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Henry MOATS

Michael Patrick Kenefick, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2006 3:25PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2006 1:44PM GMT
Surnames: Moats
I cannot add much. But I think you may be a part of our tree. Problem is I also cannot find a lot of information. I have a Henry with two brothers Devalt and Jacob. Possibly I found Devalt (Duval) on 1790 Census in Georges Township, Fayette, Pennsylvania, USA.

I have a Henry as the father of Tevalt and Bassel. Tevalt is a 5th GGF to me. The family appears to have been in Maryland, then Pennsylvania then West Virginia. He started Moatsville, West Virginia. A lot of the information I have came from research my sister Bridgette Kenefick Osz completed pre internet. She also went to several of the annual Moatsville Reunions held the first Sunday of September (often Labor Day) and exchanged information.

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 11:23PM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2006 3:54AM GMT
Surnames: MOATS, MOTZ, THOMAS
My Henry MOATS/MOTZ b. abt 1805 Franklin Co., Pa. m.(1827) Catherine THOMAS b. abt. 1807 Franklin Co., Pa. kids were:
Jacob, Daniel, Mary, Ephraim, Catherine, Edward(my G. Granmother's Father), and Henry.

Michael Patrick Kenefick (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2006 2:52AM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2006 3:55AM GMT
Any chance your Henry's father was Bassel?

Re: Edward MOATS

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 3:08AM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2006 3:56AM GMT
Surnames: MOATS, MONN
That's a good question. What really puzzles me is, why is there a funeral home record that lists Edward MOATS(father of my gGrandmother on Dad's side)parents as Jacob MOATS and Catherine monn MOATS. With the same exact birth and death dates as my Edward MOATS.

Re: John MOATS

Posted: 28 Sep 2007 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Moats, Moots, Moates
Hi Michael,
Has anyone figured out how and if the W. VA Moat's are related to the OH/PA/IL/IN Moats'?
My Jacob Moats' father was apparently John Moats who married Sarah. John Moats died in 1848, Ross County Ohio.

Thanks,
Leilani Moats Smith

Re: Jacob MOATS

Posted: 28 Sep 2007 9:52PM GMT
Surnames: Moats, McDaniel, Sypoly, Lipscomb, Goff
Hello Leilani,

I personnaly have not trace the Moats' I know about to Ohio. I have information that most were set in Pennsylvania and Maryland in the late 17XX and early 18XX before moving to Virginia (areas that became West Virginia after 1860).

I am not showing any relatives in Ross county (one county below were I currently live). That does not mean are families are not related. So here are the Jacobs I have in my database and information about them IF my information is correct:
Jacob DOB before 1755 Father Unknown Mother unknown How related to me 6TH Great Grand Uncle.
Jacob DOB about Bet. 1790 - 1791 Father Tevault Mother Hannah Reason A. McDaniel How related to me 4th Great Grand Uncle.
Jacob G. DOB about 1857 - 1858 Father John M. Moats, Sr. Mother Mary Catherine Sypolt 2ND Wife A. Lipscomb How related to me 2nd cousin 4x removed.
Jacob Perry Moats DOB about 1828 Father Bazil Mother Priscilla Goff How related to me 1st cousin 5x removed.

I have 12 Johns on my list. I have several with DOB and DODs. Most do not appear to be the same as your John's. Any chance you know your John's middle name? Any Census records found?

Re: Jacob MOATS

Posted: 29 Sep 2007 5:49AM GMT
Hello there,

Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough. I doubt that I can do that. :) I don't have a middle name for John. He just shows up in Ohio from Pennsylvania, date unknown. John apparently married a Sarah, but I don't actually have facts to back that up. Just word of mouth from other relatives. John died in Jefferson, Ross County, Ohio in 1848. He left his entire farm to his youngest daughter, Catherine, on the condition that she maintain him and his wife for the rest of their days.

My Jacob would be my 3rd Great Grandfather,born in Pennsylvania 1791. Died in Ross County, Ohio 1875. He drew a pension after being in War of 1812. He married Anna Smithey.
Jacob E. Jr, born in 1834 in Ohio, died 1867 in Flora, Clay County, Illinois. He married Margaret Smith.
Jacob Moats, son of Nelson Moats, born in 1875. Died in 1928.
Another Jacob, son of Riley Moats was born in Ross County Ohio 1921. He married Erma Fizic.
I am really hoping to go beyond what I have with my family history obviously. Maybe, we'll all find out that the Moats' came from one central figure who immigrated in the 1720's or so. I personally think that we started out in Maryland, then to Pennsylvania, then to Virginia and Ohio. I heard about a story of seven Moats brothers who came over from Germany a long time ago. They got into an argument. Brothers took sides and never spoke to each other again.
Can you help me do some research???? Which county are you in?
Thanks again!
Leilani

Posted: 30 Sep 2007 2:21AM GMT
Surnames: Moats, McDaniel, Gower, Stalnaker, Streets, Weaver, Smith, Tallman, Kenefick, Halverson
Hello Leilani,

Sorry we cannot make a connection, yet. I could possibly have information about my known Moats in Philadelphia and / or Pennsylvania in the late 17XX. Problem is I do not have any "paperwork" to back up the information found by myself / others. However, my sister and some cousins did a lot of leg work years ago. Now to get her to scan these items and share with me.

I am located in Hilliard, Franklin, Ohio. I doubt I will be able to do to much research assisting. I work when most of those type of places are open. Most of my research is internet based from the common genealogy sites. If you have not already done so check with your library to see what genealogy pay sites may be available through them. My library system allows home access to www.heritagequest.com, newspaper archives and many others. http://www.oplin.org/access.php?Id=67-22537&msg_ this is Ohio's "gateway" to those pages. Supposedly, I can access ancestry.com from within the library, but most do not have wireless access and the site PCs have no way to save images to your disk or thumb drive.

Michael Kenefick
kenefick at copper dot net

Henry Moats - Jane Jackson
two brother of Henry, Devalt Moats and Jacob Moats
Tevalt Moats- Hannah A. McDaniel
Isaac Moats- Susanah Gower
Catherine (Adams?) Moats - William Stalnaker (never married?)
Israel Clayton Moats - Melvina Streets (Based on what we have been told Israel's last name should have been Stalnaker, had he not been illegitimate!?)
Mary Moats - Francis Marion Weaver
Velva Ruth Weaver - John Carroll Smith (John's grand father changed his name from Barnabus J. Tallman Jr. to James A. Smith. Why?)
Marilyn Jean Smith - Michael Patrick Kenefick, Sr
Michael Patrick Kenefick, Jr. - Sara Halverson

Re: Bernherd Moats

Posted: 15 Jan 2008 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: Moats, Motes
Hello there and Happy New Year!
I wanted to report that my father was brave enough to submit his dna to Marvin Mote's dna project through family tree. Marvin and two others (representing the W. VA side) are exact matches. Now add my dad, representing OH. They are an exact match. We just have to find the common ancestor now.
I found a Bernherd Moats who was born around 1692 in Philadelphia County, PA. He immigrated from Germany in 1738. He is around 46 at the time. He appears in one census and then disappears. Would anyone know about this Bernherd?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions