Search for content in message boards

Is there a limit on size of PDF's used as media in sources?

Is there a limit on size of PDF's used as media in sources?

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 1:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,
I uploaded a 9.8 MB PDF file from FamilyTree Maker for Mac to my linked and synced online tree as a media item for a source. On the online tree, a blank icon denoting a PDF is visible as a "story" for the source, but an error message reads, "We're sorry. The page you tried to access is no longer available."

Is there a limit on the size of the PDF one can attach as a medium item to a source? Or, is there a time delay on how long it takes Ancestry.com to post a PDF of that size?

I'd like to attach this media to my source; however, I don't want to produce an error in the online version of my tree.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Is there a limit on size of PDF's used as media in sources?

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 4:11PM GMT
I don't know what the limit is, but I can duplicate your findings. I created a source with a PDF media of about 250KB in FTMM2, synced tree, and I can view that PDF on the online tree. I created another source with an 11MB PDF file and got the "We're sorry. The page you tried to access is no longer available." message.

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 4:15PM GMT
Thanks Sean. I suspect there is a limit but I can't find the document online that contained such information as file size limits, etc. Appreciate your help.

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 4:20PM GMT
As a follow-up, I tried creating a source with media directly on an Ancestry tree using the same 11MB PDF file - no problems doing that. I then synced the tree to bring that source & media back into FTMM2 and that worked as well. So as a work-around you can create the source online & sync it back down.

I'm sending these findings in to Ancestry tech support as a bug.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 6:25PM GMT
I downloaded the update to version 21.2.7.542 today and the error still exists. I've updated FTM support about this.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 12:17AM GMT
Thank you, Sean, that was very good of you! I appreciate it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions