Search for content in message boards

HUGHES/HUGHS FAMILIES BURKE COUNTY

HUGHES/HUGHS FAMILIES BURKE COUNTY

Greg Letterman (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2003 6:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HUGHS/HUGHES
CA 1814 Looking for information on any Hughes or Hughs lines in Burke County ca 1814. My GGGGrandmother Allyfodus (this name spelled in a bewildering variety of ways, including Alpheus) Hughes or Hughs married Jonas Letterman/Leatherman/Lethermon in Burke County April 9, 1814. Have no knowledge regarding any of her forebears but have heard her father might have been a John, a John X, or a Thomas and her mother might have been a Kezia or Keziah maiden name not stated. She was said to have been born somewhere in NC on either July 1 1800 (the more likely date) or January 5, 1803. Greg Letterman

Re: HUGHES/HUGHS FAMILIES BURKE COUNTY

Wanda Parnell (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2003 1:45AM GMT
There was a John Hughes in Burke Co. near Morganton, NC as early as 1785. "John Hughes, Jacob Forney, and Samuel Hughey were bonded in 1785" (To run a tavern) --- " In 1826 Thomas Hughes was the proprietor of the Tavern in place of John Hughes".
He is listed as the county coroner in 1796. There are other Hughes in the area and I know for a fact that John Hughes had at least one land grant and possilby more. Oddly enough there are no Letterman's listed in the very good history that I have of that county.

Posted: 16 Jan 2003 2:03AM GMT
Thanks for your posting. Jonas' father was probably a John and may have been a Dunkard or even a Dunkard minister and his name might have been spelled Leatherman, Leathermon, Lethermon, or even Lederman instead of Letterman is that gives you any help. There was a John Letterman listed in Burke County in the 1800 census and they might have been in or moved to Buncombe County by 1810 if any of this gives you any leads for other inquiries. Thank you very much for your help. I presume there are no Hughes geneaologies for Burke and nearby counties that deal with Hughes from that period in Burke Co. and stretch back for forebears but if thereare please let me know what they are, where they are, and anything else about them.

Posted: 16 Jan 2003 2:13AM GMT
Edited: 18 Feb 2003 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes, Dorsey
I would be interested in hearing about any Hughes who might have come to Rowan, Lincoln or Burke Countiies from the Baltimore, MD area in the early to mid 1700's--particulalry if they were associated with any Dorseys.

Posted: 1 Feb 2003 11:25AM GMT
Surnames: HUGHES HUGHS
I do not know if the following information helps you or not. I offer it to you just in case it might be useful. Per your request, here are all the random pieces of information I have obtained on Hughes family members who were or may have been in Burke Co., NC, around 1800. I do not attest to any of the facts in them, but they should provide you with a starting point in your search. If you run across any information about the spouses or forebears of any of these Hughes, please let me know by posting an answer to this message. Similarly, if you run across any information about a member of any of these families who is a female with a name anything remotely like Alphedus who was born very early in the 1800s, that would also be of great interest.
(1) Joseph Hughes was in Burke Co in 1800 with a daughter of Alphedus’ age and remained in Burke Co. through the 1830 census. In the 1800 census of Burke Co. NC Morgan District Microfilm m32-19 there is only one HUGHES family - Joseph HUGHES had 3 3 sons under 10 yrs old and 1 dau under 10 yrs old. By 1840 HUGHES was gone
(2) John X. Hughes was b ca 1765, married a Kezia who was b ca 1767, had children Betsy, Hanna b ca 1790, Polly January 6, 1791, and allegedly Alphedus January 5 1803 (her birth date more likely July 1, 1800) and living in NC. There was a John Hughes in Burke Co. near Morganton, NC as early as 1785. "John Hughes, Jacob Forney, and Samuel Hughey were bonded in 1785" (To run a tavern) --- "
(3) In 1826 Thomas Hughes was the proprietor of the Tavern in place of John Hughes". He is listed as the county coroner in 1796. According to MrsVLS@aol.com, "Tom" and his brother were born in North Carolina. They left in about 1838 and went to White County, Tn. Tom married Nancy Wilhite in 1846 and Samuel married Polly Holman. Both listed in 1850 census of White Cty.,Tn. Tom moved to Holt Cty., MO. and Samuel went to Arkansas. (listed as Hughs in census of 1850. Henry Thompson's children were Samuel, John Thos. Wm. Franklin, Robt.Leroy, Henry T., Jr. James, Andrew, Mary Francis, Luvena and Selean. Tom was born 9/15/1822 and Samuel was born in 1816.
(4) Williams Hughes m Guilford Co., NC, 1787, and moved to Burke Co., NC, by 1794. Children were Elizabeth Hughes CHAMBERS, William, David, Mary Hughes RECTOR LARD, Lucinca Hughes CHAMBERS, Martha Hughes FERGUSON, Rebecca Hughes STULL, Fluvanna Hughes PHILIPS, Sarah, Lovina Hughes BUCKLES, (b. 1806).
(6) Henry Thompson Hughes and his Brother Samuel thought to be from a Hughes family in Burke Co. Henry Thompson Hughes was bn sept 15th 1822 and His brother Samuel was about 5 years older than Henry. They left Guilford Co NC in about 1836 and settled in White Co . Tn. Samuel Married Polly Holman before they left NC. Polly was Cherokee

Posted: 25 Feb 2003 6:02PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes-Hughey
I am looking for Andrew Hughey from Burke or Rowan Co., NC as early as late 1700s.. I wonder if Samuel Hughe could be his father???? Also, I have Sargent/Sergent Hughes in Rowan Co., N C who had sons, John and Richmond Hughes. Richmond was born 1790 in Rowan Co. We do not know what happened to John. I have all of Richmond's family data.
Sargent Hughes married Judith Haden or Hayden , Richmond married Rachel Smith/ Schmidt all in Rowan Co., NC
From what I understand Burke and Rowan was closely tied.

I hope someone will reconize some of these names.
Thanks, Mary

Wanda Parnell (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2003 6:20PM GMT
From the 1790 census in the Book Burke By Edward Phifer, I find
the following heads of households that may be of interest to you. The number following the name is the military district in which they lived:
Hughes, Andrew (6)
Hughes, Hannah (7)
Hughes, John (7)
Hughes, John (12)
Hughes, John (13)
Hughes, Peter (12)
Hughes, Samuel (4)
Hughey, Elizabeth (13)
Hughey, Joseph (13)

One of the John Hughes/Hughs (I have seen it both ways) had quite a few land grants in Burke County which was formed (I think) from Rowan.

Posted: 25 Feb 2003 6:37PM GMT
Thank you so much for your quick response. I have been looking for Sargent Hughes and Andrew Hughey's parents for a couple years now. All help is appreciated. Thanks again, Mary

Clarence L Hunt (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2003 9:08PM GMT
Surnames: Hunt, Sharick, Holloway, Graves, Letterman, Hughes, Anglin, Cooper
I am a 3d G-Grandson of Jonas Letterman and Allyfodus Hughes, I don't have a great deal of information on Jonas or Allyfodus, I do have her parents listed a John X Hughes abt 1765 and Kezia abt 1767, and siblings listed as Betsy, Mary and Hanna. I have her as being born Jan 1803 in North Carolina and died Oct 1898 in Webster County Missouri. She is buried in Webster County Missouri, Welch Cemetary next to her husband Jonas Letterman July 1792-Mar 1862. There children were Jonas, Lucinda, John D., Temperance, Isreal, Kizziah, Hannah, Garrett, Francis, Highla, Mary, John H., and Lousia. On Allyfodus's Toumbstone her name is spelled "Alphedus" I have been to the graves and have pictures of the stones, if you are interested send me an e-mail and I will e-mail them to you. About Jonas being a drunkard I don't know, but he was a preacher and I have his old bible. There is no family information in the bible, it is the one he apparantly used for his sermonds. None of this information is from proven source documents, just passed down through family. Hope this may be of some help to you.

Anita Burleson (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2006 2:19AM GMT
Surnames: Hughes, Odom, Burleson, Hayes, Garland, Willis, Young, Street and Honeycutt
Is there a Joseph or an Evan anywhere in this line?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic