I do not know if the following information helps you or not. I offer it to you just in case it might be useful. Per your request, here are all the random pieces of information I have obtained on Hughes family members who were or may have been in Burke Co., NC, around 1800. I do not attest to any of the facts in them, but they should provide you with a starting point in your search. If you run across any information about the spouses or forebears of any of these Hughes, please let me know by posting an answer to this message. Similarly, if you run across any information about a member of any of these families who is a female with a name anything remotely like Alphedus who was born very early in the 1800s, that would also be of great interest.
(1) Joseph Hughes was in Burke Co in 1800 with a daughter of Alphedusâ€™ age and remained in Burke Co. through the 1830 census. In the 1800 census of Burke Co. NC Morgan District Microfilm m32-19 there is only one HUGHES family - Joseph HUGHES had 3 3 sons under 10 yrs old and 1 dau under 10 yrs old. By 1840 HUGHES was gone
(2) John X. Hughes was b ca 1765, married a Kezia who was b ca 1767, had children Betsy, Hanna b ca 1790, Polly January 6, 1791, and allegedly Alphedus January 5 1803 (her birth date more likely July 1, 1800) and living in NC. There was a John Hughes in Burke Co. near Morganton, NC as early as 1785. "John Hughes, Jacob Forney, and Samuel Hughey were bonded in 1785" (To run a tavern) --- "
(3) In 1826 Thomas Hughes was the proprietor of the Tavern in place of John Hughes". He is listed as the county coroner in 1796. According to MrsVLS@aol.com
, "Tom" and his brother were born in North Carolina. They left in about 1838 and went to White County, Tn. Tom married Nancy Wilhite in 1846 and Samuel married Polly Holman. Both listed in 1850 census of White Cty.,Tn. Tom moved to Holt Cty., MO. and Samuel went to Arkansas. (listed as Hughs in census of 1850. Henry Thompson's children were Samuel, John Thos. Wm. Franklin, Robt.Leroy, Henry T., Jr. James, Andrew, Mary Francis, Luvena and Selean. Tom was born 9/15/1822 and Samuel was born in 1816.
(4) Williams Hughes m Guilford Co., NC, 1787, and moved to Burke Co., NC, by 1794. Children were Elizabeth Hughes CHAMBERS, William, David, Mary Hughes RECTOR LARD, Lucinca Hughes CHAMBERS, Martha Hughes FERGUSON, Rebecca Hughes STULL, Fluvanna Hughes PHILIPS, Sarah, Lovina Hughes BUCKLES, (b. 1806).
(6) Henry Thompson Hughes and his Brother Samuel thought to be from a Hughes family in Burke Co. Henry Thompson Hughes was bn sept 15th 1822 and His brother Samuel was about 5 years older than Henry. They left Guilford Co NC in about 1836 and settled in White Co . Tn. Samuel Married Polly Holman before they left NC. Polly was Cherokee