Search for content in message boards

John W. Barnett of Yell County

John W. Barnett of Yell County

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 3:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jan 2006 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Almon, Barnett
My grandfather, Freeman Taylor Almon, formerly of Carroll County, Georgia, married Nellie Barnett about 1913 in Yell County, Arkansas.

Nellie was born to John W. Barnett and Alice Martin, born Aug 1868, however, in the 1900 Census for Yell County, Alice is Mary A. which I believe to be Mary Alice.

John W. Barnett and Alice Martin were married 6 Jan 1881 in Yell County. In the 1880 Census for Yell County, I found John W. Barnett, a widower, age 32, with 3 children, Mary, age 5 years, Ada, age 3 years, and Catherine, age 5 months, Cintha, his mother, age 57, James, his brother, age 31, and Sarah, his sister, age 37.. On the same page for (1880 U.S. Federal Census > Arkansas > Yell > Ward and Lower Lafave > District 222) I also found Cintha Martin, a widow, age 49, and Mary, age 11.

In the 1900 Census for Yell County, I found John Barnett, age 55 marrried to Mary A., age 31, and their children, James, age 17, Edward, age 15, Maggie, age 13, Dora, age 11, Nellie, age 9, Maud, age 7, Hattie, age 5, and Ruby, age 2.

In the 1910 Census for Yell County, I found John W. Barnett, age 62 years old and a widower again, James A, his son, age 27, Edward, age 24, Nellie, age 17, and Roy, age 8.

If anyone has information or family history on the above mentioned people, please feel free to e-mail me at allmantr@cs.com.

Re: John W. Barnett of Yell County

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 7:19PM GMT
Surnames: Barnett
I realize my Barnett is not in this family, but wondering if you have ever run across a Flora Gordon Barnett in Yell, Arkansas who was married to Vird Walker. Cannot find her original family, believe they may have been from Georgia. If you have ever found Flora in you searches for the Barnett family would appreciate the info. Thank you
Darlene

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 8:41PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2006 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Barnett, Walker
Darlene,

It appears that Flora Barnett, born Nov 1892 is shown as a step-daughter of Hiram Hilburn. She is shown on the 1900 Census for Gravely Hill Township, Enumeration District 157, Sheet # 7, Yell County, Arkansas. She is shown have 2 half brothers, John and Lon both born on Jan 1900. According to the Census, Fannie was born in Arkansas on Nov 1869, and both her parents were born in Georgia. Hiram on the otherhand, was born in Missouri along with his parents.

According to the 1910 Census for Gravely Hill Township, Enumeration District 169, Sheet # 7, Yell County, Arkansas Hiram and Fannie Hiburn had 2 more children, Claudia, age 7, and Arthur, age 2. It also showed they had been married for 13 years as well.

According to the 1910 Census for Gravely Hill Township, Enumeration District 169, Sheet # 5, Yell County, Arkansas there is a Vird R. Walker, age 22 living with Flora, age 18, no children as of Census date. Hope that helped.

I do not have any further information on this family.

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: Hilburn and Barnett
Thanks so much for your info on the Barnett and Hilburn families, I did have some of the info, but you filled in some blanks for me. Again, thank you so much.
Darlene
per page

Find a board about a specific topic