Search for content in message boards

India births, deaths

India births, deaths

Posted: 14 Jan 2011 9:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bennett
I found several children born in India to William (108th Regt) and Mary Bennett on familysearch. And for one of those a death too.

There was definitely one more birth (Frederick, 1872 or 1873, Deesa, Bombay), and two or three deaths. All in the period 1863-1876.

Are the films only partially transcribed? In other words, would I find the birth on the 1872 or 1873 Bombay film?

And about deaths/burials, how come there are so few to be found on the index?

Loes

Re: India births, deaths

Posted: 15 Jan 2011 4:42AM GMT
Hi Loes

As far as I am aware the films have been fully transcribed. You could look at the original microfilms to make sure there hasn’t been a transcription error, but the most likely result is that the entries you are looking for are not on the film.

The British Library burial records are to a very large extent burials conducted by a minister in a church. There are a few exceptions where civilians conducted services. Due to the heat in India, and the resultant quick decomposition of bodies, burials took place within a day or so of death, often on the same day. Logistically, this meant that a person had to die geographically near to a church to get into these records. Accordingly there were many deaths which were not recorded in the burial records.

You could check out alternative sources for BMD records for soldiers in the British Army. Refer the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Chaplains Returns
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=Chaplains_Returns

Cheers
Maureen

Re: India births, deaths

Posted: 15 Jan 2011 5:24PM GMT
Surnames: Bennett
Thanks, Maureen,

It makes sense about the death/burials. It's just because I had found one of an eight year old Emma Bennett. 5 Days between death and burial (nusseerabad, jan 1875), maybe a cool-ish period.

And yes! The magical words transcription error. Found my George Frederick Bennett on familysearch as Beveiall. Not a variant you'd search for!

Loes
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions