Search for content in message boards

James Johnston

Posted: 4 Sep 2010 9:52PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Johnston
Does anyone have access to the Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s - 1900s?
I am trying to find the port of origin for James Johnston.
Year; 1698
Source Publication; 1640.7.5
page; 145
It would wonderful to get the information listed for this man. I am hoping he left Ireland for the U.S. or West Indies. Appreciate any help available.

Re: James Johnston

Posted: 5 Sep 2010 9:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JOHNSTON
Was your James Johnston who left Ireland possibly born in Scotland? If so, would appreciate any dates, possible town of birth, and any other data you might have on him and his family. The time frame you mention is where I have hit "the brick wall" on my JOHNSTON family line. James and Archibald are the predominant first names for my JOHNSTON line.
Bob Johnston, Kansas City, Kansas

Posted: 6 Sep 2010 12:14AM GMT
Hello Bob,
I sent my message trying to get proof of James living in Ireland before coming to America. Here is what I have so far: As I said I am still looking for proof so use this as a starting point please....My line is James and Margaret(Alexander). Then Robert and Mary Formont.
Cathy

Descendants of James JOHNSTON
Generation 1
1. James JOHNSTON-1[1] was born on 20 Jul 1656 in Guildhall,,Scotland[1]. He died in Old
Town, King William, Virginia[2].
General Notes:

James who was 'provydit to nothing but the bear name of Johnston." James was put to a trade
because he was the youngest son. He married twice, first to Margaret Alexander, with whom he had four sons, and secondly to Faith Leith, with whom he had one daughter.(unknown name)
James and Faith came to VA after 1689.
James JOHNSTON and Faith LEITH were married in 1686 in Scotland[2]..
Margaret ALEXANDER[4] was born in 1653 in Craig, Aberdeenshire, Scotland[4]. She died about 1681
in Aberdeenshire, Scotland[4].
James JOHNSTON and Margaret ALEXANDER were married on 13 Nov 1672 in St Nicholas,
Aberdeenshire, Scotland[1]. They had the following children:
i. John JOHNSTON was born in 1673 in Craig, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. He married
Elizabeth MASSIE in 1698 in St Peters Parish, New Kent, Virginia. He died in 1751 in St.
Peters Parish, New Kent, Virginia.
2. ii. James JOHNSTON[4] was born in 1675 in Craig, Aberdeenshire, Scotland[3]. He married
Jean OGLIVIE in 1673 in Virginia, United States[5]. He died in 1769 in Charles County,
Maryland[4].
3. iii. William JOHNSTON[6] was born in 1677 in Craig, Aberdeenshire, Scotland[6]. He married
Sarah Penelope MASSIE in 1698 in St Peters Parish, New Kent, Virginia[7]. He died in
1718 in New Kent, New Kent, Virginia[2, 6].
iv. Alexander JOHNSTON was born in 1678 in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. He died in St.
Peters Parish, New Kent, Virginia.
4. v. Robert JOHNSTON was born in 1680 in Lisburn, , Atrim Co, Ireland[8]. He married Mary FORMONT about 1682 in Lisburn, , Atrim Co, Ireland. He died in 1732 in Greencastle,
Franklin Co, Pennsylvania.

Generation 2
2. James JOHNSTON-2 (James-1)[4] was born in 1675 in Craig, Aberdeenshire, Scotland[3]. He died in
1769 in Charles County, Maryland[4].
Jean OGLIVIE[9, 10] was born in 1655 in St Nicholas Par, Aberdeenshire, Scotland[9]. She died in Mar
1716 in Old Town, King William, Virginia, United States[5].
James JOHNSTON and Jean OGLIVIE were married in 1673 in Virginia, United States[5]. They had
the following children:
i. Jean JOHNSTON[10] was born in 1682 in New Kent, New Kent, Virginia[11].
ii. Alexander JOHNSTON was born on 07 Aug 1692 in St. Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland.
iii. William JOHNSTON was born on 10 Oct 1699 in St. Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland. He
married Janet CUMMING on 21 Nov 1721 in Spott Haddington East Lothian Scotland[12].
He died before 1762[12].
iv. John JOHNSTON[9] was born on 16 Nov 1701 in St. Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland[9]. He
married Elizabeth MASSIE in 1698 in New Kent, Virginia.
3. William JOHNSTON-2 (James-1)[6] was born in 1677 in Craig, Aberdeenshire, Scotland[6]. He died in
1718 in New Kent, New Kent, Virginia[2, 6].
Sarah Penelope MASSIE[7] was born in 1681 in New Kent Co, VA[13]. She died on 28 Aug 1711 in
New Kent Co, VA[13].
William JOHNSTON and Sarah Penelope MASSIE were married in 1698 in St Peters Parish, New
Kent, Virginia[7]. They had the following children:
i. Anne JOHNSON[7] was born on 16 Apr 1699[7]. She died in , , North Carolina, USA[7].
ii. William JOHNSON[7] was born on 31 Aug 1701[7]. He died[7].
iii. Benjamin Johnson[7] was born on 18 Apr 1705[7]. He died on 18 Aug 1769 in Ivy Creek,
Bedford, Virginia, USA[7].
iv. Collins JOHNSON[7] was born in 1708[7]. He died[7].
v. Cicely JOHNSON[7] was born on 12 Nov 1711[7]. She died[7].
4. Robert JOHNSTON-2 (James-1) was born in 1680 in Lisburn, , Atrim Co, Ireland[8]. He died in 1732
in Greencastle, Franklin Co, Pennsylvania.
Notes for Robert JOHNSTON:
General Notes:
Immigration record:
Immigration record:
Name: Robert Johnston
Year: 1718
Place: New England
Source Publication Code: 648.10
Mary FORMONT was born in 1689 in Atrim Co, Ireland[14]. She died in Antrim, Franklin,Pa[14].
Robert JOHNSTON and Mary FORMONT were married about 1682 in Lisburn, , Atrim Co, Ireland.
They had the following children:
i. Henry JOHNSTON[15] was born in 1700 in Lisburn, Antrim, , Ireland[15]. He died in Franklin,Pa[15].
ii. James JOHNSTON was born on 16 Dec 1711 in Lisburn, Atrim Co, Ireland[16]. He married
Elizabeth Brown FINDLEY on 07 Jan 1741 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania[8]. He died in
1765 in Antrim, Franklin, Pennsylvania[17].
iii. Robert JOHNSTON was born in 1715 in Lisburn, Atrim Co, Ireland.
iv. Benjamin JOHNSTON was born in 1718 in Franklin, Pennsylvania.
v. Ann JOHNSTON was born in 1724 in Franklin, Pennsylvania.
vi. Abigail JOHNSTON was born in 1726 in Franklin, Pennsylvania.
vii. Peter JOHNSTON[15] was born in 1730 in Franklin Co, PAHe married Mary PHILLIPS on 17 Sep 1753 in Antrim, Franklin, Pennsylvania[18]. He died on 18 Apr 1790 in
Allegheny, Pennsylvania[15].

Posted: 7 Sep 2010 11:23PM GMT
Surnames: JOHNSTON, JOHNSON
Cathy,
I don't see anything close in the way of linking our two JOHNSTON family lines. I went back as far as Archibald Johnson (without the "t"), b. 1666, in New Monkland, Airdrie, Lanarkshire,in the Glasgow area. His son, Archibald Johnston, and grandson, James Johnston, both born in same area.
But I printed out your data and will keep it close by as I continue to search some of the sibling relationships in that time frame. My line ended up in Scranton, Pennsylvania, where my father was born.
I've been trying several years to get back to my Archibald Johnson's parentage, but no luck to date.
Good luck in your quest.
Bob Johnston
aberdeen3@comcast.net

Posted: 13 Sep 2010 6:16AM GMT
Have there been any Y-DNA tests done for descendants of these Johnston men? Quite a few of the male first names you're mentioning handed down from generation to generation are repeated in my Johnson/Johnston line in that time period. Supposedly there's a lost brother in my line, James Johnston/Johnson, who settled in Virginia, having first come from County Tyrone, Ireland.

The Y-DNA of my Johnston/Johnson line is an uncommon one.

Just wondering...

Posted: 29 Sep 2010 4:51PM GMT
Yes, my brother (a Johnson) tested for all 67 markers at FTDNA. Our haplo is N1c1 and deep clade came back as origin in Finland. Our line has been found in PA, N.C. Virginia, Kentucky and Illinois. I am still trying to find any documentation on my Johnston line immigrated from Ireland having first left Scotland sometime in the 1600's. Time frame for U.S. immigration would have been about 1710.

Posted: 14 Oct 2010 7:16PM GMT
Well bummer, the Johnson males in my line are a different haplotype entirely (Il*).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic