Search for content in message boards

LASSITER

LASSITER

David Hedgpeth (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LASSITER
Am looking for connecting families for Elijah LASSITER: (1762-1848).
Parents: James LASSITER and Lydia ______.
1762-BIRTH, Northampton Co., NC, 4 Aug 1762.
1778-Drafted in militia during American Revolution.EL reported that in 1778 or 1779 he was drafted into the Militia for 3 months under the command of General Caswell. The Militia marched into SC and under the command of General Gates lost a battle with the British. At that time EL was seriously ill, and was confined to bed for 5 weeks after which he returned home. Two years later he was again drafted for another 3 months under the command of Major Hogg. They marched to the town of Wilmington until they received word of the surrender of Lord Cornwallis.
1782-ca, Elijah came to Johnston Co. after serving in the Revolutionary War, settled on Black Creek.
1782-MARRIAGE-Wife's name unknown, ca 1782.
1783-CHILD- Tillitha, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1783.
1787-CHILD- Lucy, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1787.
*1789-CHILD- Sally, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1789.(My line).
1790 Census?
1791-CHILD- William "Billie", Johnston Co., NC, ca 1791.
1797-CHILD- Marta, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1797.
1800 Census, Johnston Co., NC.
1800-CHILD- Jason, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1800.
1803-CHILD- Mary, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1803.
1804-CHILD- Elisha, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1804.
1805-CHILD- Shadrack, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1805.
1806-CHILD- Elijah, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1806.
1807-CHILD- James Offie, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1807.
1808-CHILD- Penelope, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1808.
1809-CHILD- Louinza, Johnston Co., NC, ca 1809.
1810 Census?
1820 Census?
1830 Census?
1834:Johnston Co., NC, Application for Revolutionary War Pension, 25 Feb 1834. 1840 Census?
1847: Johnston Co., NC, Will Abstracts: 1746-1870, Filed 13 Dec 1847, Probated May Ct. 1848.
1848-DEATH,Johnston Co., NC,4 May 1848.

Lassiter's on Black Creek

Christie Moore (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lassiter, Moore
Hi - My family was very tight with the Lassiter's back in the 1800's. My Moore's were from the Old School Road/T.E. Johnson Sawmill Rd. Area. They (my gggGrandfather Benjamin Moore) owned over 200 acres (then he split it up to his sons) on that road and it stretched thru the woods to Black Creek Rd near Barbour's Grove. I do know when my ggGrandfather (Haywood Moore) died a wagon brought him from his home on Black Creek Rd to my gggGrandfather's on Old School Road and cut thru by the Barbour's Grove Church to be buried on the family land. I have an ggUncle Levy Moore who married a Lucy Lassiter. She was burried at her home place then moved to Clement Cemetary off of Lassiter Road in Four Oaks beside her parents and siblings. Also out there I have a gggUncle and his family burried out there also..Lovett Moore and his family..all 5 or 6 are burried on the front line near where you park and have newer stones there. I am curious how my Lucy might tie in with yours. Thanks!

Lassiter's of Black Creek

Margaret Malone (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: lassiter

I have a long history of Lassiter family, some who remain in Johnston County. My uncle has done extensive research on our family. I am related to the following:
Willis Alfred and Wife Charity, and elijah (his father)
My grandfather was Seth Woodall Lassiter. I am very proud to say our family owns part of the original Lassiter land/

Alfred Lassiter

Posted: 16 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Alfred was the oldest son of william Lasster. He was born in 1818 and married Dinah Jones on January 28, 1840 when she was 17 years old. Alfred received 300 acres from his father William. In 1846 and 20 more acres in 1869. He bought 112 acres more from his neighbors.

Alfred built their home on king pond Road on the nrth side of Black Creek. His brother Henry built a home on the southh side of black creek. It is suspected that the first bridge across the creek was a path between these two houses. in the lands deed it is referred toas Elijah Lassiter Bridge so named after it's builder.
Alfred and Dinah raised ten children to marriageable age and lost four in childhood. Mary, Margaret, Sarah, William Henry, Martha, John William, Lucy, Willis Alfred, Eveline,adn Louie Jane.
Alfred died in 1905.

William Lassiter

MARGARET MALONE (View posts)
I left out he was married to Lucy Stevenson and they raised te n children: Alfred, Marytha, Mary, Sarah, Sir William,Henry,Joseph A., Clavin Shadrack Benjamin, And Elizabeth. He also raised grandson Joesph E when Sir william was killed in the Confederate Army

William Lassiter

Margaret malone (View posts)
as written by Catherine LassiterWilliam (1791-1875) was the oldest of Elijah Lassiter. William may have been born before his family came to JOhnston County. he lived in elijah 's house ifso it is the oldest settled Land on the Lassiter Plantation. The cementary that William is buried in is now gone and it is thought that Elijah and his wife may have been buried there also.
In 1818 William received 353 acres of land ffrom his father Elijah Sr. and 1832 received 150 acres more. In 1836 he bought 350 acres from his brother Elijah before he moved to Alabama. For several years he continued to buy land from his neighbors and finally owned over 2,100 acres of land by 1869. It is the land on both sides of the Lassiter Road and on both sides of black Creek. It was given to his sons.
William widely known as Uncle Billy in has last years. In his will he gave his wife Lucythe 600 acres on which they lived and the 70 acre mill tractfor her natural life. In his personal property all was given to her. At her deaththe 670 acres were sold and divided among all his heirs. He had already given most of his land to his children. Mary, Martha, and Sarah in their father's will received $500 in lieu of Land
William was the executerof his father Elijah's will. William was not mentioned in the will but had already received 500 acres from his father including the homeplace.
It was thought that he first Lassiters, Elijah and William lived on a ridge between the two brances of Sassaraxia. In this area is some of the oldest history of Johnston County. Where Sassaraixa runs into Black creek, Green's Path crosssed the Creek. Green's Path was the first through highway for white settlers headed southwest from Virginia. Some of the first Johston County settlers came by way of this trail first used by the Indians.

elijahlassiter

this was written by Catherine Lassiter injohnston county nc
thefirst lassiter who can be connected with the lassiter families of the Black Creek area is Elijah Lassiter. who was born in Nroth hampton county in 1762. His father James was believed to come form the shores of Va. His will in 1804 show the follwing as heirs: Lydia his wife,Shadrack, Elias, Greene, Elijah, James, Kinchen, Jordan were sons.
Daugters were Penelope, henretty, abigail, reinford. It was elijah who came To the county after the Revolution, settled on black creek, now elavation and started th lassiter family that inhabits much of that partof Johnston County.
On Feb.25,1834 at the age of 71 years elijah appeared in th court of Pleas and QuarterSessions of Johnston County. and swore to a deposition describing what he did for the new country on the Great REvolution. Aresident of Northhampton co was drafted in Militia when he was 16 or 17 and marched to Smithfield across the Cape Fear River,crossed the Yadkin at shallow ford the down the pee dee riverin SC where an engagement took place between the us and british forces. here the americans were defeated. he became seriosly ill and returned home. two years later drafted again. March from halifax to Smithfield to croos creek now fayettville to duplin county courthouse to wilmington to meet the British army. At Wilmington word was received of the surrender of Cornwallis returned to Tarabouroh where he was discharged.
In 1800 the family fo elijah was the only Lassiter Family in Johnston county. There is no Information aboaut his wife but he had 12 children the oldestWilliam bron in 1791 married Lucy Stepehnson in1813, jason married Thena H. cotten 1825, Shadrack born 1803, married Lucy Johnson In 1825, Elisha married Obediance carrel in 1827, james Married Lucy Lockhart. Elijah Jr. married Mary Tomilinson and moved to Pike County Alabama. Sally who married solomen whittenton also moved there. Elijah's daoughter Lucy married james Johnson, Penelope married george Johnson, Patsy married John Carrol and Married Gidson Woodall. thus was establihed the twelve tribes of Elijah.

LASSITER

Posted: 18 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2002 11:51PM GMT
I HAVE SOME LASSITERS ON MY MOMS SIDE OF THE FAMILY AND
WONDERED IF THEY COULD BE THE SAME AS YOURS.MY GREAT-GREAT GRANDFATHER WAS HENRY LASSITER.HE WAS BORN IN
1834 AND DIED IN 1907.I ALSO HAVE A GRANDFATHER WHO WAS
WILLIAM"UNCLE BILLY" LASSITER.HE WAS HENRYS FATHER.IS THIS
THE SAME AS YOURS?E-MAIL ME AT f.pitra@angelfire.com
PAM PITRA

LASSITER

Posted: 29 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2002 11:51PM GMT
I HAVE INFO ON YOUR LINE OF LASSITER.I'M RELATED TO THEM TOO.I HAVE ABOUT 30 PAGES OF NAMES AND DATES.YOU CAN E-MAIL
ME AT f.pitra@angelfire.com
PAM PITRA

LUCY LASSITER

PAM PITRA (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LASSITER, STRICKLAND
I'M RELATED TO LUCY LASSITER.IF YOU HAVE RUN ACROSS THE NAME
FLORENCE LASSITER SHE WAS MY GREAT-GRANDMOTHER.SHE MARRIED
JULIOUS PRESTON STRICKLAND.THEY HAD TWELVE CHILDREN.ONE WHO
WAS MY GRANDFATHER--WILLIAM DAVID STRICKLAND.DO YOU HAVE ANY
MORE INFO ON HOW MANY LASSITERS' WERE BURIED IN CLEMENT
CEMETARY?
PAM PITRA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions