Search for content in message boards

East Philipsburg Militia Muster Roll found in a Tarrytown Souvenir Book

East Philipsburg Militia Muster Roll found in a Tarrytown Souvenir Book

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 2:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Yerks
I came across a DAR application that brought me to a book entitled "Souvenir of the Revolutionary Soldier's Monument Dedication at Tarrytown, NY, October 19th, 1894". I found that book as a PDF online.

http://play.google.com/books/reader?id=nktGAAAAYAAJ&prin...

In it, there is a Revolutionary War Muster Roll. According to the book, the original Muster Roll was in the possession of a Professor Bashford Dean of New York.

In addition to the well known John Yerks (a member of the group of Patriots who captured Major Andre), there are several other Yerks family members from Philipsburg on the Roll.

John Yerks Sr.
John Yerks Jr.
James Yerks,
William Yerks

I do not see any mention of them (except John) or most of the others on that Muster Roll in any online databases. Does this muster roll exist today? Where? Who has it? Is it authentic? What do you make of the fact that names on this list are not seen anywhere online. My wife's great x 6 Grandfather is the William Yerks mentioned on the roll. Do you think I can use this reference on a DAR application?

Thanks.

Philip L. Hayes
http://www.hayesfamily.us
Monroe, CT USA

Re: East Philipsburg Militia Muster Roll found in a Tarrytown Souvenir Book

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 2:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
You do not say how you have proved that your wife's ancestor is the William Yerks listed on the Militia muster roll published in the book.

Militia muster rolls are not proof of active-duty service unless otherwise noted on the roll.

Without looking at the original, one could not determine even if the list of persons was a list of those who actually reported for the drill and nose-counting. Transcripts can omit details, such as additional notations entered by whoever drew up the original list.

Lack of an original and lack of evidence of active duty would be impediments for use of such a list in a lineage society application.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions