Search for content in message boards

Charles McCarthy born c.1805, Bandon, Co. Cork

Charles McCarthy born c.1805, Bandon, Co. Cork

Posted: 24 Mar 2010 5:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCarthy, Baker, Donald
Charles McCarthy is believed to have been born in Bandon in County Cork in about 1805. On the marriage certificate of his daughter Anne, his profession is given as Sergeant, Royal Marines. Daughter Anne was born c. 1835 in Canada, while daughter Catherine was born about 1840 in Woolwich, Kent, England. Catherine married a George Baker in England and had several children, Anne married a William Buel in England, with no issue.
This is all I know of my McCarthy ancestor - can anyone help with more information? I've been unable to find him in the Naval records in London.
Alastair Donald

Re: Charles McCarthy born c.1805, Bandon, Co. Cork

Posted: 25 Jul 2011 1:51AM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy-Coughlin
Do you know if there might be a connection to my gg- grandfather, Daniel McCarthy? According to Griffith's Valuation, Daniel rented land from the Earl of Bandon in 1853. Daniel married Nora Coughlin, and their son Thomas was my great-grandfather. We don't much more than that - would love to know the earlier family and whether Thomas had any siblings.

Posted: 25 Jul 2011 1:37PM GMT
Unfortumately, I can't help you. Charles joined the Royal Marines and had children born in Canada and in Woolwich, England. Family tradition has him coming from Bandon in County Cork, but that is all that I know of his background.
Best of luck with your search.
Alastair Donald

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 10:30PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy
My gr grandfather is Daniel McCarthy 1835-1922. His father was Daniel McCarthy 1812-1873 and he farmed land in Kilbrogan Street, Bandon. Daniel 1835-1922 married Julia Mahony 1835-1887.It is thought that two of their boys John 1863 and Timothy 1871 emigrated to USA as his obituary was placed in american newspapers. I wonder if there is a connection. Daniel's son Daniel F sold the farm in 1928. I have visited the farm and the old house still stands as a ruin.
Fionnghuala O'Doherty nee McCarthy

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 5:40PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy, Hurley, Couglin
Sorry - just saw this post. It is interesting that you have a Timothy, since we have a census showing my great-grandfather Thomas (married to Lizzie Hurley) living next door to Timothy McCarthy in NYC. We have no evidence that they are related, but it has always seemed likely.

Thomas was the son of Daniel McCarthy and Nora Couglin. Daniel did rent land from Lord Bandon, but my grandfather believed the family was from Kinsale. Other than my grandfather's claims about names and residences I have not been able to find any other records for Daniel and Nora. I would love to learn more.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic