No known relationship exists between George Norris who left a will in 1766 in Duplin Co. and James Norris (father of John, Josias, and Jethro) that lived in Johnston Co., NC 1740s to late 1700s. George Norris recieved a grant of land on Cow Branch in Johnston Co. on 14 Apr 1749. This land is actually located in current Greene Co. on the Nahunta Swamp near the community of Snow Hill. John, James, Josias and Jethro Norris lived on or near another Cow Branch located in Johnston Co. in the mid-1750s and later. This property is currently located in the Raleigh area in Wake Co. Study of the deed records seems to indicate that there is no family relationship between these two men.
George Norris appears to associate with people of Scotch-Irish descent while James Norris and his family seem to associate with those of English descent.
I am submitting the following records to assist others that are researching these two families. Please contact me if you have any information on the family of James Norris b. before 1700 and his sons John, Josias and Jethro. All three men lived in Johnston Co. when the county was formed in the early 1740s.
I apologize for the length of this submission but felt these records might assist other researchers.
Records from Edgecombe Co., NC
1. 15 Feb 1732/3 NC171*4 Deed Bk 1, pg. 54 John Scot and Elizabeth Scot of Edge. Prect. To Henry Goff of Edge. Prect. 4 pounds in cash, 100 acres more or less on the south side of Conoconary swamp, being part of 450 acres the sd. John had formerly taken up Wit: William Anderson, George Norris reg. Edge. Prect. Nov. Ct 1733 Robert Foster C. Ct.
2. 1733 NC 69*8 Records of the NC Executive Council Petition of the Gentlemen of Edgecombe precinct to alter the seat of government closer to the center of the province which they believe to be somewhere between the Tar and Neuse Rivers. Signers of the petition include George Norris and Benjamin Joyner
3. 21 Mar 1742 NC 177*1 & NC 55*3 Patent Bk 5, pg. 87 George Norris 450 acres in Edgecombe Co. on the Mirey Branch, joining Benjamin Joiner & Rowland Williams.
4. 14 Jul 1743 NC171*10 Deed Bk 5, pg. 220 George Norris of Craven Co. to Arthur Cook of Edge. Co. 9 pounds current money of Va. 100 acres, joining Caner (?), Pond branch, Robert Sims and Jane Holleyâ€™s spring branch all houses, orchards etc. part of a patent to Norris 21 Mar 1742 Wit: Nathaniel Cooper, Stephen Cade, Jr. Reg. Edge. Co. Feb Ct. 1743 Robert Forster c. Ct.
5. 14 Jul 1743 NC171*10 Deed Bk 5, pg. 222 George Norris of Craven Co. to Stephen Cade of Edge. Co. 16 pounds 18 shilings Va. Currency 350 acres, joining Miry branch, Robert Sims and Jane Holleyâ€™s Spring branch all houses, orchards, gardens etc. whereon the sd. Cade now lives Wit: Nathaniel Cooper, William ------ (?) D his mark Reg. Edge. Co., May Ct. 1744 Robert Forster C. Ct.
6. 25 Jul 1743 NC 177*2 William Taylor 1000 acres in Edgecombe Co. on SS o Conocnary Swamp in a bent, joining Thomas Gray, George N(M?)orris, Robert Simms, a Beaver pond in Conocanarie, and the swamp.
Records from Craven Co., NC
7. 1742 NC 15*1 Craven Co. Tax List George Norris was taxpayer
8. 21 Dec 1742 Craven Co., NC Court Minutes, New Bern Geor. Norriss applyes to this Court for a licence to Retaile Victuals & Liqr. And gives Securitys John Becton & Mr. James Mackelwean in the sum presecribed by Law to Commence from last Court which was Granted.
9. 4 Jul 1743 Deed Bk 5, pg. 220 George Norris of Craven Co. to Arthur Cook of Edge. Co. 9 pounds current money of Va. 100 acres, joining Caner (?), Pond branch, Robert Sims and Jane Holleyâ€™s spring branch all houses, orchards etc. part of a patent to Norris 21 Mar 1742 Wit: Nathaniel Cooper, Stephen Cade, Jr. Reg. Edge. Co. Feb Ct. 1743 Robert Forster c. Ct.
10. 14 Jul 1743 Deed Bk 5, pg. 222 George Norris of Craven Co. to Stephen Cade of Edge. Co. 16 pounds 18 shilings Va. Currency 350 acres, joining Miry branch, Robert Sims and Jane Holleyâ€™s Spring branch all houses, orchards, gardens etc. whereon the sd. Cade now lives Wit: Nathaniel Cooper, William ------ (?) D his mark Reg. Edge. Co., May Ct. 1744 Robert Forster C. Ct.
11. Sep 1743 Craven Co., NC Court Minutes, New Bern A Deed of Sale from Abram Odam to John Stringer for two hundred acres of land was proved by the Oath of Geroge Norris a Subscribing Evidence thereto and prays admittance to Record Granted.
12. 8 Mar 1744 Patent Bk ?, p. 200 George Norris 600 acres in Craven Co. joining Nawhunty Swamp.
13. 19 Jun 1744 Craven Co., NC Court Minutes, New Bern John Crews Admr. In Right of his Wife of the Estate of John Cale? (Cole?) prays that appraisers be appointed to appraise the sd Estate the Court Nominates Thos. Maclandon Francis Macklendon, & George Norriss.
14. 25 Sep 1745 NC Land Entry George Norris enters 300 ac in Craven Co on Cow Br; being where Chas McDonohow lived; rites returned â€œbeforeâ€; paid; made out; â€œdownâ€.
15. Sep 1746 Craven Co., NC Court Minutes, New Bern chd. Licence & bd. Made out. Mr. Arthr. Johnston moved the Court for a Licence to keep Ordy. At his dwellg. House in Newbern. Grtd. And he has given Secty. As the law prescribes George Norris & Saml. Griffis Securities.
16. Sep 1746 Craven Co., NC Court Minutes, New Bernchd. Licence & bd. Made out. Saml. Griffis moved the Court for a Licence to keep Ordy. At his dwellg. House in Newbern. Grtd. And he has given Secty. As the law prescribes George Norris & Arthr. Johnston Securities.
Records in Johnston Co., NC
17. 1748 Johnston Co. Deed Index Bk 1, pg. 204 George Norris to William Taylor
18. 14 Apr 1749 Patent Bk 2, pg. 16 George Norris 200 acres in Johnston Co., joining Cow Branch
19. 1751 Johnston Co. Deed Index Bk 2, pg. 197 George Norris to John Campbell
20. 1751 Johnston Co. Deed Index Bk 2, pg. 198 George Norris to Daniel Love
21. 1754 Johnston Co. Muster Roll of Colonel DeRossetâ€™s Regiment List of Officers -- George Norris listed as Lieutenant Others listed in same group as officers are: Stephen Caid, Francis McIlwean, Aaron Smith and Henry Smith
22. 24 Sep 1754 NC Land Entry George Norris enters 300 acres in Johnston Co on S side of Norhunty (Swamp); border: his own line and runs â€œupâ€; (R C Drâ€”lined out) paid J M; warrant dated 27 Sep 1754.
23. Dec 1754 NC Land Entry William Taylor enters 200 ac in Johnston Co; border: Henry Best; includes vacant land between Robert Parks, George Norris, & Cow Br; paid J M 24/: warrant dated Dec. 191, 1754; C Y.
Records in Dobbs Co., NC
24. Jan 1773 NC Land Entry Thos Butcher enters 300 ac in Dobbs Co on both sides of Nahuty Swamp; border: Wm Hall, Geo Norris, Wm Taylor, & his own line; J P; â€œDec. 4â€.
25. 17 Jan 1778 NC Land Entry for Dobbs Co. Col. Abra: Sheppard 200 acres Dobbs Joining the Cow Branch, between Norresâ€™s old line Dunahoes branch at Mofats corner on Cow branch (Greene Co).
26. 5 Mar 1780 NC Land Entry for Dobbs Co. Abraham Sheppard Esqr 300 acres Dobbs, On the South Side of great Cotentnea joining his Own & Edwardsâ€™s Lines & Norris (Greene Co).
27. 5 Mar 1780 NC Land Entry for Dobbs Co. Col. A. Sheppard 200 acres Dobbs, On the South Side of Nahunty on the upper Side of Cow Branch, Joining the lines of Best, Norris & Taylor (Greene) Entry this day withdrawn by me 16 Mar 1780.
Records in Duplin Co., NC
28. 12 Jan 1759 Deed Bk 2, pg. 424 George Meares (of New Hanover County) to William Pittman (a merchant). 5 shillings for 200 acres, being â€œthe Tract of land as layd down in the Annexed Patant and Survey By Virtue of the Deed or Instrument Indorsed on the Back of the said Patant.â€ Wit: George Norris and Alexander Willson, Deed was proven 12 Apr 1759.
29. 13 Mar 1762 (2nd Yr of George III) Deed Bk 4, pg. 11 Henry McCulloh (by Henry Eustace McCulloh) to George Eason. 25 pounds for 100 acres â€œBeginning â€¦ near the Bank of Stewarts Creek.â€ Wit.: Abraham Molton and George Norris.
30. 13 Mar 1762 (2nd Yr of George III) Deed Bk 4, pg. 14 Henry McCulloh (by Henry Eustace McCulloh) to John Sawyar for 200 acres. Deed mentions â€œBuck Marsh of Stewarts Creek.â€ Wit.: Abraham Molton, George Norris, and Owen Kenan.
31. 7 Apr 1762 (2nd Yr of George III) Deed Bk 4, pg. 9 Henry McCulloh (by Henry Eustace McCulloh) to George Norris. 92 pounds for 602 acres (a portion of the deed at this point was left blank). Deed mentions William Cannon, â€œthe line of the great tract,â€ and Goshen Swamp. Wit.: Felix Kenan and Alexander Lane.
32. 1762 Duplin Co., NC George Norris bought 603 acres on south side of Goshen. Also William Cannon, Jr., William Sullivan, Henry Cannon and John Hill owned land on south side of Goshen.
33. 8 Apr 1762? Deed Bk 3, pg. 226 Henry McCulloch (by Henry Eustace McCulloch) to William Cannon 93 (Pounds?) â€œVirginia moneyâ€ for â€œSixty Hundred and Sixty eight acresâ€ of land â€œBeginning at George Norris Corner . . . On Goshen Swamp.â€ Deed mentions Kingâ€™s line. Wit: Robert Rainey, Edward Cannon, and William Cannon.
34. 9 Apr 1762 Deed Bk 3, pg. 228 George Norris to Richard Harris. 40 pounds for 237 acres â€œOn Goshen swamp Beginning at William Cannons Corner.â€ Deed mentions Kingâ€™s the mouth of Gum Branch. Wit.: Felix Kenan and Thomas Jonaquin.
35. 13 Dec 1765 Deed Bk 1, pg. 71 George Norris to John Taylor 50 pounds for 240 acres on Goshen Swamp at the mouth of Long Branch. Wit: Felix Kenan, Benjamin Blow, and Jacob Taylor.
36. 17 Mar 1766 Deed Bk 1, pg. 48 Thomas Jernigan to George Norris. 35 pounds for 100 acres on the Mercy Branch. Deed mentions Nahungow (?) Swamp. Wit: Felix Kenan and George Williams.
37. 30 Dec 1766 Deed Bk 1, pg. 230 Will of George Norris George Norris made his will â€œbeing very sick and weak in body but of perfect mind and memory,â€â€¦ I give and bequeath unto my Dear Beloved son George Norris one Cow and Calf. I give and bequeath unto my Beloved son-in-law Thomas Jernigan one shilling Sterling money of Great Britain. I give and bequeath unto Abraham Molton my Beloved son-in-law one Negro wench named â€œPenâ€ with her increase that she has now or hereafter may have likewise one large Pott and one flax wheel. I give and bequeath unto Felix Kenan my Beloved son-in-law one pair of -------- and one good Feather Bed. I give and bequeath unto my granddaughter Sarah Norris, daughter of Sarah Molton after my dear Beloved wifeâ€™s decease the manner plantation whereon I now live Containing One hundred acres as by deed from Thomas Jernigan will appear together with all improvements, Houses, Fences, Gardens, Woods, Underwoods with Plows, hoes, Axes and Working Tools thereunto belonging to be by her fully and clearly to be possessed and enjoyed likewise one good feather bed and furniture. I give and bequeath unto Sarah my dearly beloved wife whom I likewise constitute, make and ordain my only and sole Executor of this my last Willa and Testament, One Negro wench called â€œSueâ€ and all ----- singular all my Household goods and furniture that is not above mentioned likewise all my â€¦â€¦Signed: George (X) Norris. Witnesses: Jesse (X) Jernegan, John (x) Shuffel, Third could not be read.
38. Feb 1767 Deed Bk 1, pg. 250 Solomon Hines to George Norris. 75 pounds for 245 acres â€œOn the west side of white Oak Branch.â€ Wit.: Uriah Blanshard and Jacob Goodman.
39. 19 Nov 1767 Deed Bk 1, pg. 301 Thomas Castellan to George Norris Thomas Castellans was â€œlate of North Carolina Now of Granville in the Province of South Carolina.â€ Trans.: 100 pounds for 200 acres. Deed mentions Moses Taylor. Land was â€œformerly in New Hanover Countyâ€¦Now in Duplin.â€ Land was â€œgranted to the said Castellan By Patant Granted by Gabriel Johnston bearing dateâ€ 25 Mar 1748. Wit.: Joseph Wiliams, Jesse Barfield, and Uriah Blanshard.
40. 19 Nov 1767 Deed Bk 1, pg. 302 Thomas Castellan to George Norris was â€œlate of North Carolina Now of the County of Granville in South Carolina.â€ 100 pounds for two tracts: )1) 70 acres â€œgranted to Thomas Castellan by Patent No. 44 Granted by Arthur Dobbs bearing date: 15 Feb 1764: and (2) 180 acres by patent number 43 of the same date as the first tract. Land was â€œOn the North side of Goshen swamp.â€ Deed also mentions Moses Taylor, Joseph Wade, and Maple Branch. Wit.: Joseph Williams, Jesse Barfield, and Uriah Blanshard.
41. 28 Jun 1768 Deed Bk 4, pg. 165 Reubin Weston to Nicholas Bourden 50 pounds for 135 acres â€œOn the north East side of Goshen Swamp Beginning at the mouth of a little Branch aboveâ€¦the Plantation Joining George Norris land.â€ Edward Weston Bought of John Oates and made over to the said Reubin Weston.â€ Wit.: John Foley and James Hurst.
42. 4 May 1769 Patent Bk ? , pg. 448 Jacob Whitehead 200 acres in Duplin on the S.S. of Goshen Swamp on the head of White oak Branch, joining Uriah Blanshard, George Norris, and the run of the said branch.
43. 7 Oct 1769 Deed Bk 4, pg. 272 Jacob Whitehead to Thomas Gray (â€œAttorney at lawâ€), 27 pounds for 200 acres â€œOn the North side of Goshen swamp and On the head of White Oak Branch.â€ Deed mentions Norrisâ€™s line and Blanshardâ€™s line. Land â€œwas granted to the said Jacob Whitehead By letters patent Bearing dateâ€ 4 May 1769. Wit.: George Norris, Stephen Herring, and William Dickson. Note following the deed states: â€œMemorandum the Word September Razed Out and October Inserted before the Ensealing and Delivery of the presents.â€
44. 28 Dec 1770 Deed Bk 4, pg. 389 Nicholas Bourden to Thomas Benet (Bennet). Dated 28 Dec 1770 at the beginning of the deed and 15 Jan 1771 at the end. 50 pounds for 130 acres â€œOn the North East Side of Goshen Swamp Beginning at the mouth of little Branch above the Plantation Joining the George Norris lands.â€ Deed mentions William Roberts and Whiteoak Branch. Land was â€œthe Plantation Edward Weston Bought of John Oates and made over to the said (sic) Reubin Weston.â€ Wit.: Samuel Bourden and John Whitehead.
45. 1 May 1771 Deed Bk 3, pg. 472 Thomas Gray to Uriah Blanchard 27 pounds for 200 acres â€œOn the North side of Goshen Swamp On the head of white Oak Branch.â€ Deed mentions Norrisâ€™s line. Land was granted to Jacob Whitehead by patent (date not given) and conveyed by him to the said Thomas Gray. Wit.: John Winders and John Whitehead.
46. 10 Feb 1772 NC Land Entry Jesse Bearfield enters 100 ac in Duplin Co on N side of White Oak Swamp, near Goshen (Swamp), near Lanierâ€™s mill dam, & near Shuffling Hall (sic); border: Uriah Blanchet, Geo Norris, & Wright; J P; â€œMay 14â€.
47. 25 Sep 1772 Deed Bk 3, pg. 459 George Miller (Dobbs County) to William Bizzell 140 pounds for 470 acres in two tracts â€œOn the north side of Goshen Swamp and On the East side of White Oak Branch.â€ First tract consisted of 270 acres. Deed mentions John Wright. Second tract consisted of 200 acres. Deed mentions â€œNorrisâ€™s lineâ€ and Blanchardâ€™s line. The two tracts were â€œby deed Indented Bearing date (21 Jul 1772) Conveyed to the said George Miller â€¦ by Felix Kenan High Sheriff of the County of Duplin.â€ Wit.: Thomas Gray and Needham Whitfield.
48. 20 Jan 1773 Deed Bk 3, pg. 582 George Norris to John Hill 50 pounds for 120 acres â€œon Goshen swamp,â€ Deed mentions the mouth of the Long Branch. Wit.: John Beck, James Thomson, and Felix Kenan.
49. Jan 1773 NC Land Entry George Norris enters 200 ac in Duplin Co on N side of Goshen Swamp; border: Tyler and Casterler. (sic; same to 1232).
50. 17 Feb 1773 Deed Bk 5, pg. 152 George Norris to William Bizzell. 20 ponds for 40 acres â€œOn the East side of White Oak Branch.â€ Wit.: Uriah Blanchard and James Hurst.
51. 17 Feb 1773 Deed Bk 5, pg. 234 George Norris to Willis Cherry 100 pounds for 205 acres â€œOn the west side of white Oak branch.â€ Deed mentions William Bizzell and a small branch. Wit.: Uriah Blanshard and James Hurst.
52. 2 Mar 1774 Dicey Norris m. William Cannon. (b) Edward Cannon, Jas. Love. (w) Jas. Sampson
53. 22 Jul 1774 Patent Bk, pg. 19 George Norris 150 acres in Duplin on the N.S. of Goshen Swamp between Moses Tyler and Thomas Castellaw, joining Norrisâ€™ own corner
54. 28 Mar 1775 Deed Bk 5, pg. 155 Thomas Wiggins to John Cartey 25 pounds for 150 acres â€œOn the North side of Goshen swamp Joining and Between Robert Warrens Moses Tylers and Samuel Alexanders line Being part of (a) tract of (200) acres Pattented by John Beck Bearing date Apr the 27th day 1767.â€ Wit.: Joseph Slocumb and George Norris.
55. (blank) 1775 Deed Bk 5, pg. 137 Edward Cannon and Sarah, his wife, to Abraham Molton 25 pounds for 100 acres â€œBeginning â€¦ near miery branch of Mahungo swamp.â€ Land was part of Henry McCullohâ€™s tract of 71,160 acres and was conveyed from Henry Eustace McCulloh to Thomas Jernigan by deed dated 3 March in the 4th year of George III and conveyed by the said Jernigan to George Norris, Sr., by deed dated 7 March 1766 and conveyed by him to his granddaughter â€œSarah Norris Now Sarah Cannonâ€ by deed dated 9 Aug 1766. Wit.: William Dickson and James Kenan.
56. 29 Jul 1777 Catherin Norris m. Felix Frederick. (b) George Norris, Felix Kenan. (w) Rd. Clinton
57. (blank) 1777 Deed Bk 6, pg. 205 George Norris to William Gully 700 pounds for four tracts of land. First tract consisted of 200 acres â€œOn the North side of Goshen Swamp.â€ Deed mentions Moses Tiler and the head of the Marsh(?) Branch. Land was granted to Thomas Castelaw by patent in 1748 (?) and conveyed by him to the said George Norris. Second tract consisted of 180 acres â€œOn the North side of Goshen swamp.â€ Land was granted to Thomas Castelaw by patent in 1764 and conveyed by him to the said George Norris. Deed mentions Joseph (?) Wade (?) and â€œa Pond in the Side of Goshen Swamp (?).â€ Third tract consisted of 70 acres on â€œa North side of Goshen Swamp.â€ Land was granted to Thomas Castlow (sic) by patent in 1764 and conveyed to George Norris. Deed mentions Moses Tiler. Fourth tract consisted of 150 acres â€œon the North side of Goshen Swamp.â€ Land was granted to George Norris by patent in 1774. Deed mentions (faded) land â€œPattented by Moses Tiler and Thomas Castlow and Running into Goshen swamp.â€ Wit.: William Goodman, James Beazley, and Phillip Hurst (Herust).
58. 10 Jan 1781 Patrick Norris m. Civility Hurst. (b) Felix Frederk (Frederick). W) Wm. Dickson, C.C.
59. 26 Sep (Year not given) Deed Bk 3, pg. 283 Alexander Porter to Moses Moore (Moor). 16 pounds for 133 acres â€œBeginning at Jesse Jernigans lower corner on Ash Branch. On the Run of the Golden Grove,â€ Deed mentions Indian Camp Branch. This deed mentions a deed from Henry Eustace McCulloch to the said Alexander Porter dated 9 Oct in the 6th year of the reign of George III (1765). Deed reserved Â½ of the mineral rights for Henry Eustace McCulloch. Wit: Abraham Moulton and Sarah Norris.
60. 26 Sep (Year not given) Deed Bk 3, pg. 302 Alexander Porter to Moses Moore 87 pounds for 40 acres â€œBeginning at â€¦ David Cannons lower cornerâ€¦ on the grove swap.â€ Land had apparently been purchased from Henry Eustace McCulloh by deed dated 6 Feb in the 7th year of the reign of George III (1766). Deed reserved on-half of the mineral rights. Wit.: Abraham Molton and Sarah Norris.
61. Late 1760s Land Grants in North Duplin Co, NC The following is a list of land grants in northern Duplin Co: East of Faison a grant 565A to William Dickson in 1766 and in 1769 he was granted 100 acres S of this tract. He wrote letter to relative in Ireland describing the events relating to the Rev. War. E of this tract a grant of 435 A to John Wright in 1766. Stephen Herringâ€¦ Crossing Green Branch (runs into Goshen) a grant of 593 A was granted to Henry Cannon in 1773. Later owned by Rhodes, Shine, and Hill Family. To the East on the SS of Goshen: 260 acres to William Cannon, Jr.; 668 acres to Henry Cannon in 1762; 235 acres to John Hill in 1780 and 603 acres to George Norris in 1762. On the NS of Goshen on both sides of Bear Marsh, William Taylor received a tract in excel of 1,000 acres in 1745. Also 100 acres in 1764, and 560 acres in 1762. David Rogers in 1804 and William Parker in 1762.