Search for content in message boards

Great great grandfather

Great great grandfather

Posted: 13 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 May 2002 10:29PM GMT
Surnames: Cauthen, Cothern, Cawthorne
My grandfather, William Doss (Dawson?) Cauthen was born in Lancaster.SC. on 1 Oct, about 1833-36? He went to Florida in the 1850's We're trying to determine who his father was?
Posted: 17 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2001 2:57AM GMT
Which Thomas? Who is his mother? I have a copy of the 4th edition, 1992. What page?
On page 127, is my connection. John Samuel Brasington is my great grandfather. It states one Brasington were killed in the war while it was actuall 2 (George at Gettysburg and WIlliam at Chickamauga both in 1863).

Cathen FamHis

Edited: 30 May 2002 10:29PM GMT
Bil,
I have Westenhaver's book, and since my note have done considerable research. Now I believe that William R, son of Thomas (nr 1161), was my great great grandfather. Birth date is troublesome, but appears not to be acccurate. I have all the census records, and none of them track from census to census. So I think, rather than walk up the lane and ask, the census taker just said to himself: That's a pretty big boy;he must be 18-19 years old. And that was that.
The Cauthen Family History by Maryline Cauthen Westenhaver, 1992 puts William Doss Cauthen (Cothern, the spelling on his tombstone) of Alachua, Florida as of undetermined birth place. There were several groups in the state, Greenville, Charleston and North Augusta. She has almost 3 pages in her book on ths line.

The only possible Lancaster William she noted would have been born about 1832, the son of Long John Cauthen and his wife, Mary. The are listed in House #984 in the 1850 Census and by the 1860, he is no longer with tem (House 431 in Dry Creek P O). He was 6 years older than yours.

William Doss Cothern

Janice Boyd Neal (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: COTHERN, CAUTHEN, COTHRAN
Hal, we are related. William Doss Cothern was my great-grandfather. His daughter, Cary Elizabeth, was my father's mother. I, too, am trying to locate the names of his parents. Here is all I know - he generally went by the name of W. D. Cothern. I know he was born October 1, 1836, in Lancaster Co., SC, because this is information he provided on his Confederate Pension Application, Florida Archives file no. D05828 filed July 29, 1903. W. D. Cothern married Celia Sparkman, and they are buried together at Antioch Baptist Cemetery in Alachua County, FL. His marker says that his date of death was June 9, 1904 and is marked "CSA". Celia was born June 11, 1843, in FL, and she died July 1, 1893. W. D. was in the Florida 9th Regimental Infantry during the Civil War. His unit was part of the Army of Northern Virginia that surrendered with Lee at Appomattox. He is listed as an Appomattox parolee in the 1887 Southern Historical Society Appomattox Roster, and on his pension application he indicated that he was honorably discharged at the surrender of General Lee in Virginia. He spelled his name Cothern, but I understand that his sons took up the spelling as Cauthen. The daughters appear to have kept the spelling Cothern. Celia (nickname Celie) died when their children were not all grown. I understand that Susie, the oldest daughter, who married Fletcher Hardee took over and was the mother figure for the children. A daughter of one of his daughters, Ollie, lives in Jacksonville, and I understand from talking with her that she has a nephew from Boca who has done a good bit of research on this line. I have not been able to find him yet. Which child of W. D. and Celia is your parent? Have you learned his parents' names yet? I will e-mail you privately in case you are not checking back with this query board often.

William Doss Cothern

Posted: 30 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: COTHERN, CAUTHEN, COTHRAN
Bil, can you tell me how I can locate the Maryline Cauthen Westenhaver book or who published it? William Doss Cothern was my great-grandfather, and I would love to see the book.

W. D. Cauthen (Cothern)

Hal Cauthen (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Cothern, Cauthen, Cothran
Hi,

I spoke by phone to my Aunt Nadine this morning; she is George Washington’s daughter, W.D’s granddaughter. She remembers her grandfather, though not well--as he died when she was still quite young.

As we worked it out, it appears that our relationship is as follows:

W.D. and Celia had 7 children, 3 boys and 4 girls. There was My grandfather, George, Uncle Frank, and Uncle Johnnie; and Aunt Susie, who married Fletcher Hardee, Aunt Mary (who married a Dampier), Aunt Ollie (who married a Harris), and Aunt Cary, who I’m assuming is your father’s mother. Cary was the youngest, according to Aunt Nadine, and was called “Sister”, by the other children. Aunt Nadine didn’t recall just who she married, but thinks that Cary had two children who died of diptheria, and then two son’s, Coleman and Randel Boyd--one of whom would then be your father? Is that right?

Aunt Ollie, who married a Harris, had a daughter Ollie (or Olive), who was called “Billy boy”, for reasons Aunt Nadine couldn’t recall. Anyway, she wondered if that was who you contacted in Jacksonville.

Let’s get this part of the relationship worked out, and then I’ll pull up the notes I have on W. D.

Incidentally, Aunt Nadine living in south Fla now, and I am in northern Va.
But I grew up in Alachua, Fla, not that far from Granddad’s place, which was out toward LaCrosse, north of Gainesville.

Good to hear from you.

Hal Cauthen

W. D. Cothern

Bil, thanks for the lead on the book. I spoke with Mr. Horton, a really nice man. He said they do not have the book for sale. May in the future, but not now. I'm going to check at the Auburn Public Library since she was a local writer. Mr. Horton said that Ms. Westenhaven died in 1993. I'm sure William D. Cothern was born in Lancaster Co. because he gave that information on his Confederate Pension application. Thanks for the help. Jan

William Doss Cauthen

The Cauthen Family book was not able to connect Willaim Doss Cauthen to the Lancaster crowd. They have him and his descendents and note he was born in South Carolina but more likely around Augusta.
I am pretty sure that Maryline Cauthen Westenhaver has passed on.
Mary Jane Cauthen Brasington (my great great grndmother) was the daughter of Big George Cauthen, granddaughter of Thomas Cauthen who served in the American Revoultion from NC. His yuunger brothers, James and William, also served.

Cauthen Book

Surnames: CAUTHEN, COTHERN
Bil, thanks so much for the info on the book. It was good news for me because I live in Auburn-Opelika, AL, and Montgomery, which is my hometown, is right down I-85. A few months ago I found a letter written by Maryline Cauthen Westenhaver in December 1981 on the internet regarding Texas Cauthens. I noticed that Ms. Westenhaver lived in Auburn at the time of the letter. Do you know if she is still in Auburn? Do you know if the William Doss Cauthen/Cothern line connects with the James, Thomas, William Cauthens of Revolution fame? These are the only Cauthens from Lancaster Co. I can find anything on. If we connect, do you know how? Are you related to William Doss Cauthen/Cothern? If so, you might be interested in a book by Gary Loderhose entitled "Far, Far from Home. The Ninth Florida Regiment in the Confederate Army". I understand that Mr. Loderhose's wife, Karen, is the ancestor of the Hunter father and son members of the Florida 9th (with W. D. Cothern) who wrote many letters during the battles in Virginia at the end of the Civil War. His book came today, and I can't wait to read it. If interested, you can locate him at www.cyberstreet.com/ppub.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic