Search for content in message boards

Elkton Village, Brookings County, South Dakota

Elkton Village, Brookings County, South Dakota

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 1:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for information relating to pioneer stories in the Elkton Village area during the 1890s. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Elkton Village, Brookings County, South Dakota

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 4:15PM GMT
They might still have a book available for purchase

Elkton Community History 1879 - 1999

Lots of information concerning the pioneer stories you seek.

Elkton Museum and Historical Society
105 Elk Street
Community Center
Elkton, South Dakota 57026
605-542-2451
Monday - Friday...9 AM - 3 PM

Posted: 23 Aug 2010 3:39AM GMT
I have this book. Bought it when we were visiting Elkton last year. It is wonderful. My family was Myers- early homesteaders there. And still there to this day.

Posted: 23 Aug 2010 4:18AM GMT
Does the book mention anything about Sam and Fannie Carman?

Posted: 23 Aug 2010 12:07PM GMT
Hello Can you let me know a time frame they would have lieved in Elkton? The book does not have an index. Also maiden name of Fanny if her people might have been there, also. I will start a look in it this morning and then continue on the weekend when I return home from work (yuck) :)

Posted: 30 Aug 2010 2:20AM GMT
Hello

I looked for the Carmans but no luck finding them in the book. The book has the folks buried in the cemeteries there but no listing for the Carmans. Let me know approx what year. I will keep looking. The book has no index of names. i can ask my family still in Elkton if they know the name. It is a real pretty town and the people are very nice. Sometimes wish I lived closer. Not in the winter, though.

Posted: 30 Aug 2010 3:29AM GMT
I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner, Linda. My best guess on the timeframe is 1907 to 1928. Mom was born in August 1915. I have a picture of her with her dog when she was about five years old. There is a barn, farmhouse and some outbuildings in the distance. Grandma's maiden name was Maxwell but I don't think any of her family lived in Elkton. She lived in central Iowa before moving to South Dakota. Her mother, Angeline, died in Aurora in 1906 but it is my understanding that she was just visiting. She and two of the children contracted scarlet fever. The children lived. I have a picture of Grandma and Grandpa taken in August 1925. On the back it says they were living on the Lynch place. Grandpa was a blacksmith. My aunt told me they were very poor and lived above the blacksmith shop. Mom said once that they lived on a farm near the McKain train stop. I do not know if it was the same place. Grandma and Grandpa are buried in the Aurora Cemetery.

Posted: 31 Aug 2010 12:10AM GMT
Go to this link
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sdbrooki/maps1897/alton.ht...
Section 26 is the Mary Lynch place and is close the where the McKain store was located. I grew up straight north of the McKain store and remember seeing it vacant and still standing when I rode the bus to Elkton to go to school. There was a blacksmith place a few more miles down the road from the McKain store. My dad told me about it.
No, there were not any of your folks mentioned that I could find.
Good luck.
Rebecca

Posted: 31 Aug 2010 1:12AM GMT
Hi Rebecca

Do you happen to have any memories of Myers family in
Elkton? I am a Myers- Charles and Amelia were my great grandparents. My grandmother was Ida Stagelman Myers. She was a school teacher- was teacher at Stagelman school. Lots of Myers still around. I saw that Lynch is near Oppelt on your link. Oppelt was somehow married into Myers.

Posted: 31 Aug 2010 1:25AM GMT
Hello

Just saw your note. I am really new to the message boards- I will continue to look in the book in the timeframe. I saw the reply from Rebecca re Lynch and the blacksmith. My grandfather was harness maker and repair but in Flandreau. The Myers family is still in Elkton and Flandreau. I will let you know what I find in the book.

Linda Myers Martinez
per page

Find a board about a specific topic