Search for content in message boards

Michael Grogan

Michael Grogan

Patrice Jordan (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wells
I am looking for information about my great-grandfather, Michael Grogan, who lived on a farm in the Baring, Missouri (Knox County) area in the late 1880's. His children included sons Michael, Pat, Dennis, Jim, daughters Nona and Mamie, my grandmother. .

All we know of his background is that he was in the County Limerick Jail in later winter, early spring of 1868. My grandmother, though, was born in Missouri.

I am brand new to this - any advice on how to proceed is most welcome. Thanks.

Re: Michael Grogan

Posted: 22 Sep 2004 3:21AM GMT
I grew up near Baring, a few miles from Pat and Jim Grogan who I'm pretty sure were the sons of Michael Grogan. Pat and Jim were old bachelors. My family used to give them rides to town because Pat and Jim didn't drive. They are buried in the Old St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery in Edina near their parents. We are having a tour of that cemetery on Oct. 10, 2004. Do you have any information or stories on this family we can share on the tour? I would really appreciate it.

Patrice Jordan (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2004 4:22AM GMT
Thank you for your reply! I had posted that message so long ago (1999) - I had no idea anyone would ever find it.
As for information about the family .... here's what stories I remember. My grand grand-parents were Michael and Hannah (Flaherty) Grogan. They came to the USA in the late 1880's - supposedly because Michael got in trouble with the British and it was escape from Ireland or go to prison. I do know he was in jail in Limmerick at one point - we have his Bible in which he wrote notes along the margins. He was in jail on St. Patrick's Day in 1887. They supposedly smuggled him out of prison on Shrove Tuesday, a day when prisoners were allowed to meet with their families. They travelled to Cork and booked passage under the name "Hogan." My great-grandmother Hannah had inherited a share of her family's farm along the Shannon River (we don't know which county for sure) - she supposedly sold her share to get the money to leave Ireland. Michael worked as a cop in NYC for a while, then heard they were selling land dirt cheap in Missouri, so they moved there to start a farm. He wasn't much of a farmer, though. He'd been well-educated in Ireland - he had even studied for the priesthood a one point - and had not really expected to be a laborer his whole life.
We believe all their children were born in the US. They all spoke with brogues .... having difficulty pronouncing "th's" - always a hard "t" sound. My mom's name was Ruthie - they always called her "Rootie."
Pat and Jim were my great-uncles. Their sister Mary (who was called Mamie) was my grandmother. They had another sister called Nona. The other boys in the family were Dennis, Mike, and Jerry (I think). Pat and Jim stayed on the farm and raised Black Angus cattle. Dennis moved to Kansas City and ran a trolley car. He drowned in the pond behind the family house one summer, trying to rescue his son. One of the boys (I think it was Mike) got run over by a train - he got stuck in the middle of a tunnel with the train coming and was run over. Nona married Harry Wells and moved to Fort Madison, Iowa. My grandmother married Jim Jordan and also moved to Fort Madison. It is a big railroad town, in those days for the Santa Fe (now Amtrak). Both Jim Jordan and Harry Wells worked for the railroad - they got started on the freight lines between Marcelline, MO, and Ft. Madison. Dennis Grogan (the "drowned" Dennis' son) also moved to Ft,. Madison and worked on the railroad.
I remember visiting the family farm when I was a young girl - this would have been late 50's, early 60's. They had no electricity. Pat and Jim still worked the farm every day - I never had clue one what they were saying, their accents were so heavy. Plus, they just plain didn't talk much. They always cooked everything in one pot. We stayed at a hotel in Edina. The fire escape was a knotted rope we were supposed to throw out the window "in case of." Ha!
During your tour of the cemetery, please look for the grave of Billy Jordan. He was my father's younger brother. My dad grew up in Missouri - and went to St. Bonaventure High School. His parents did not move until he was older. Dad's younger brother, Billy, ate some wild berries in the woods one day, got sick and died. He is buried there. Billy Jordan. I think he would have been age 4 at the time of his death. I have seen his tombstone - it is very small and over-grown - we have no family there at all now.. Poor little Billy. His sister, Alma Jordan, became an Army nurse. She used to work ER rooms at different military hospitals. She was killed in an auto accident one summer in Kansas in the late 1940's. My dad's name was Jim Jordan - people called him "Fuzz." We never knew why - neither did he. Daddy died two years ago - in February.
Thank you for letting me share my memories. I hope you can pass along some of the stories. Please feel free to write me if you remember anything more about my family. Thanks again.
Patrice Jordan
pjordan121@aol.com

Lois Hunziker (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2004 12:55PM GMT
Bless you for sharing that wonderful information. It will be SO helpful and interesting during our tour. I remember Pat and Jim's strong brogue, and that they were very quiet--Pat it seemed more so than Jim. We, like many of the other neighbors, would give them rides to town when we came along them on the road. My family lived just a few miles north of them. I WILL look for your father's brother's gravestone. Many stones have fallen and are now buried under the sod--however, we are trying to dig up as many as we can. Please keep in touch. We'd love to have any more information on these families you can share. We'd like to compile the cemetery tour "bios" in a booklet for the local library. Thanks again! Lois
per page

Find a board about a specific topic