Search for content in message boards

Actions of the 6th Regiment Dutchess County Militia

Actions of the 6th Regiment Dutchess County Militia

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm transcribing an account of the service of an ancestor in the 6th Regiment of the Dutchess County, New York Militia during the American Revolution. Three times there is made mention of a place:

"He again enlisted at Nine Partners in the year 1778 as near as he can recollect for the term of Nine Months and served under Captain James Tallmadge [6th Regiment] & Lieutenant Robert Wood in Hopkins' Regiment of New York Militia - That he was stationed at a placed called the Lay Pool (?) about twenty five miles from the Hudson [River] in the interior and whence prisoners were sent for safe keeping"

This place is mentioned three times. It looks like "Lay Pool" or "Log Jerst" or "Lay Joal". Each time it's almost impossible to read. Are there any records of the actions of the 6th regiment about 1778 that might let me know the name of this place?

Thanks!

Re: Actions of the 6th Regiment Dutchess County Militia

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 2:17PM GMT
In researching an ancestor who served in the same regiment, I came across reference to a Log Goal or Jail in Amenia, NY that housed British prisoners. My ancestor was charged with transporting some of those prisoners for a brief period in the timeframe you mentioned. Amenia is part of Nine Partners so it might be a fit.

Posted: 3 Sep 2013 4:04PM GMT
Thanks for the additional information. There is no dot for an "i" in any of the three references in this document, so I don't think it's "jail" even though that makes the most sense in terms of the references to prisoners.

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 12:44AM GMT
I believe you were right. The Amenia Historical Society replied to me:

Amenia did have a log jail during the Revolutionary War. Amenia may be about 25 miles from the River, as the crow flies. Amenia is about 35 miles from Hudson, NY, and about 35 miles from the River at Poughkeepsie. I do not know if there were other log jails in the county.

Early History of Amenia by Newton Reed, published in 1875, has a lengthy chapter on the Revolutionary War, including some of the activities of the 6th NY Regiment, and mention the log prison. He stated that the rude structure was located about 1/2 mile east of present day Amenia, and north of the turnpike, as the road was called in his day. He said that the prison was used for Tories and other suspected individuals. The remains of the building were still in evidence in the early 1870's.

Posted: 5 Sep 2013 1:06AM GMT
It would have been called a gaol, or occasionally goal, not jail at that time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic