Search for content in message boards

John R. LESTER (born abt 1810) m. Prudence H. Cumby (born abt 1813)

John R. LESTER (born abt 1810) m. Prudence H. Cumby (born abt 1813)

Janet Morrow (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2005 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2005 1:01PM GMT
Surnames: lester, cumby, henson
I am looking for any information (or suggestions about where to look) concerning John R. LESTER and Prudence H. CUMBY. They were married in Halifax County January 25, 1830. The family emigrated to AL between 1845 and 1847 and shows up on 1850 census in Montgomery, AL with 8 children, one of whom is my ancestor, Pocahontas Lester HENSON. Several of the siblings and Prudence eventually emigrated to Waller County, TX where Pocahontas and her husband John G. HENSON operated a general store. My family's oral history and Waller County printed history say Pocahontas was Indian, although we don't even know what tribe. I am new to genology research so please forgive if format of any of this is clumsy. Thank you.

Re: John R. LESTER (born abt 1810) m. Prudence H. Cumby (born abt 1813)

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 4:07PM GMT
Surnames: McWhirter/Henson/Gilmore
Pocahontas Lester HENSON and her husband John G. had a daughter Rixie Elizabeth Henson who married Elmer Daniel McWhirter in Waller County, Texas June 28, 1916.
jomac@vallnet.com

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 3:48AM GMT
Edited: 21 Mar 2013 1:27PM GMT
Surnames: LESTER
Hello Janet I hope you are still here. I just started researching my mothers side of the family. I am a descendent of John R. Lester and Prudence H. Cumby. In your post you said that Pocahontas may be Indian. Did you happen to ever find out any info about that. My mother has told me that we are Indian descent but I have not found any proof yet. It's been close to 8 years since your post. I hope you have found all the info you have been looking for to trace your families line back.
Thank you for any help you maybe able to give me.

Posted: 4 Apr 2014 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: Cumby, Lester, Rix
I am also researching the descendants of John Lester and Prudence Cumby. I believe my husband's ggggrandmother was Eliza Lester, their daughter. I have been able to find out very little about her. I understand that she married Hiram Rix and were living in Texas from about 1850 on. I have been told that she died in 1899, but can not find any record of it. Prudence is buried in the Hempstead Cem in Waller Co. TX Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions