Search for content in message boards

Kanavos family immigrated to US in early 1900s

Kanavos family immigrated to US in early 1900s

Posted: 30 Dec 2005 2:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kanavos, Langas, Stavropoulos, Papadopoulo
I am seeking information about my grandfather 's siblings.

My grandfather was Nicholas John Kanavos, born in 1887 or 1888 in Neohorion, Greece. His parents names were John (Ioannis) Kanavos and Bessie (Vashilo) Papadopoulo. His siblings were: Ernest, Paul, Georgia, Louis, Stella, and Sophie. I know Georgia married a man named Langas and Paul married a woman named Bessie. The family initially lived in the Boston area (possibly Dedham, Roxbury, or Peabody).

I believe the family immigrated through Ellis Island in 1905 but that is somewhat speculative.

Can anyone help or lead me to some resources?

Thanks,
Betty

Re: Kanavos family immigrated to US in early 1900s

Efi (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2005 9:08PM GMT
Betty, try www.ellisislandrecords.org I found your great grandfather John and your great uncle Paul arriving through Ellis Island on Jan 6 1910 going to Dedham also on Ancestry.com there are numerous hits for Kanavos, WW1 draft records, Nicholas, Ernest, and Louis at Spring St in W Roxbury, boston passenger lists, Sophia Kanavou arriving March 4, 1921 from Neohorio Greece along with many massachusetts city directory listings. Let me know if you do not have membership and I can email you with the specifics if you would like.... also where is the Stavropoulos in your family? My family to was Stavropoulos and some settled in Boston area others in Gloucester area of MA which is where I live today.

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 3:51AM GMT
Thanks for the suggestion to try the Ellis Island site. I've done that (and in fact, think I did find my grandfather, Nicholas, there). And, I'm a subscriber to ancestry.com so that's been useful too.

Re the Stavropoulous link: it's a bit distant. Paul Kanavos married Bessie (unknown).

Their daughter (also named Bessie) married a Stavropoulos. I don't know his first name. They lived in West Roxbury, Mass. - and she died this past year. She was the only relative my mother had any contact with.

Anything familiar?

Betty

Posted: 8 Sep 2008 4:52AM GMT
I believe my father was from this same village in greece his name was Tom kanavos or Athanasios. He was born in like 1945. His father's name was Alexandros Kanavos and his mother was Katerina Kanavos. I don't know about any of his uncles or aunts but seems odd they were from the same village with the same name they must be related

Posted: 8 Sep 2008 2:36PM GMT
Surnames: Kanavos
Is your father still living so that you could ask him about his family? 1945 seems recent enough that someone should be alive to ask!

First off, a correction. My grandfather's village was Neochorian (I left the "c" out in my original message"). I believe the village name loosely translates as "new town" and that there may be several villages with the same name in Greece. So, it's important to find out if your father's village was near Tripolis.

I do know now that one of my grandfather's brothers returned to Greece. His name was Louis (or Aristedes). I found a letter from my Grandfather in which he said his brother owned a cafe or coffee place in Neochorian. This would have been in the early 1960s.

Betty

Posted: 1 Oct 2008 2:35PM GMT
Hi Betty
I just saw your post and thought you might find this helpful.
There are numerous listings for Papadopoulo(s) and one Stavropoulos on the Database at HellenicGenealogyGeek.com
Good luck with your search
Georgia
www.HellenicGenealogyGeek.com

Posted: 1 Oct 2008 3:41PM GMT
Georgia, thank you for this link. It was one I did not know about. I suspect it won't help me on the folks I'm looking for, but you just never know!

Betty

Posted: 13 Mar 2009 7:50PM GMT
my father is not living, he passed away about ten years ago, and all of my relatives from that side of the family live in Greece. I have lost contact with them. His village was near tripolis and one of my aunts lived in tripolis

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 7:51PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Kanavos, Kovalis
My father came to America in 1951, at the age of 16. His name was Stavros A. Kanavos. His parents were Alexios, and Katerina Kanavos. He had one brother, Tom, 3 sisters, Helen, Vasiliki, and Gianoula. I am presently trying to find any kind of information I can get. I hope this info helps you on your quest. I have never been to Greece to meet two of my aunts, Vasha, and Helen. I'm not even sure if they are still living. I'm hoping to find that out soon. I know I have cousins there, and my prayer is to meet them someday. My father never made it back to his homeland, it was one of his dreams to do so, my sister and I are hoping to make his dream, ours...

God Bless!

~K~

Posted: 25 Jul 2009 1:41AM GMT
Surnames: Kanavos
I wish you well in your quest for information. I do not recognize any of the names you mention about your family, but then, I still don't know anything about my grandfather's siblings who remained in Greece. I know he visited family there in the late 1950s-early 1960s but don't know any names. I know one brother (Louis) returned to Greece after being in the U.S. in the early 1910s-1920s

I do know his village (Neochorion) just means "new town" - there are at least 4 or 5 such-named villages near Tripolis, which he said was near his home. I am planning on going to Greece next spring, and hope to visit the village that I think was his.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions