Search for content in message boards

HARRIS in Robertson Co., TN

HARRIS in Robertson Co., TN

Posted: 19 Jan 2004 8:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 May 2005 3:01PM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS, BRAKEFIELD
I am having a very difficult time finding any further information on my HARRIS ancestors. I truly hope someone out there can help me!

William HARRIS, Sr. b.1792 NC d. 1855 Robertson Co.,TN
m. abt. 1817 to Temperance (maiden name unk), b.1800 VA

children:
1.William, b.1818 TN m. Leah LEWIS d. 1868 Jersey Co.,IL
2.Samuel, b.1820 TN
3.Mary, b.1823 TN m. ? BENSON
4.Martha A., b.1825 TN (poss. married to Byram Brakefield)
5.baby girl (name unk), b.1827 TN d. in infancy
6.Susan, b.1829 TN (poss. married to James Brakefield)
7.Mahala, b.1831 TN
8.Lucinda, b.1833 TN

Does anyone out there have any further information?

Re: HARRIS in Robertson Co., TN

Jimmie Harris (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2004 1:03AM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Brakefield
Jana, I hope this helps. This is some information I gathered while working on my family tree here in Robertson County. As yet these Harris' have not connected with mine.

William Harris, born 1792 in North Carolina, died abt 1855 in Robertson County, Tn., married Temperance Munday abt. 1817 in Robertson County. She was born abt 1800 in Virginia, the daughter of William Munday and Nancy Staples. William Munday, born about 1761, was the son of Isaac Munday.
William Harris was born March 9, 1818 in Robertson County, Tn. and died February 17, 1868 Jersey County, Illinois. He married Leah Lewis January 30, 1839 in Robertson County, Tn. She was born about 1820 in Robertson County.
Samuel Harris was born about 1820 in Robertson County.
Martha A. Harris was born about 1825 in Robertson County. A Martha A. Harris married Alfred Rose March 31, 1851 in Robertson County. A Martha Harris married Byrum Brakefield March 6, 1855 in Robertson County. The marriage book also shows Byrum Brakefield married to Ann Benton on May 7, 1841 in Robertson County.
Daughter Harris born about 1827 in Robertson County.
Susan Harris was born abt 1829 in Robertson County, and married James Brakefield January 11, 1851 in Robertson County.
Mahala Harris was born about 1831 in Robertson County, and married L. D. Luie November 22, 1863 in Robertson County.
Lucinda Harris was born about 1833 in Robertson County.
I got most of this information from the Marriage book of Robertson County, the Robertson County 1850 and 1860 Census, and the Robertson County Cemetery Book. Hope this helps you. Good luck in your searches. Jimmie

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 6:54PM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS, BRAKEFIELD, BENTON
Thank you so much, Jimmie!

Where did you find Temperance's maiden name and her parent's names?

Temperance may be the Mrs. Teperance Harris who married W.M. Farris in 1863 in Robertson Couny.

Does the Robertson County cemetery book have any gravestone information on this Harris family (or the Brakefields, Bentons, Farris, etc.)?

I've only seen this family in the 1840 and 1850 census. I haven't looked at the earlier census records, and I can't seem to find them in the 1860 census (except for William Harris, Jr. in 1860 Jersey Co.,IL).

Also in William Harris' 1855 estate account records, there is mention of money from the estate account of an R.T. Harris of Montgomery County. I sent for his/her estate records and found that he/she died in early 1855 and must have young as the account was small and listed items such as textboks and riding gear. I have no idea who this R.T. Harris is.

Any thoughts on who William Harris,Sr.'s parents were?

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 1:32AM GMT
Surnames: Harris
Jana, I'm not sure about the direction this family took from Robertson County. I do know that at about that time frame part of my Harris family never moved, but were in the Robertson County Census in 1830, in the Dickson County Census in 1840, in the Robertson County Census in 1860, in Montgomery County Census in 1870, and back in Robertson County Census in 1880. With Montgomery and Robertson Counties next to each other, and the fact that Dickson, and later Cheatham were formed from parts of these two Counties, it could possibly put them in any of these, or that they moved somewhere else. There is no indication of any of these in the Robertson County Cemetery Book. I got the name of Munday from old records of Robertson County, as well as the Will of William Munday. I hope you have good luck in your searches. If you find a connection to a Thomas B. Harris, or his father Benjamin Buckner Harris, or his father Burgess Harris, or his father Isaac Harris, let me know. I would appreciate any closures on this family as well. Thanks, Jimmie

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 3:50AM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS, MUNDAY
Thanks again, Jimmie!

One last question: Did William Munday leave a will in Robertson County?

If I ever find a connection or any info on your Harris line, I will surely pass the info along to you!

Posted: 8 Apr 2006 2:13PM GMT
Jimmy, I have seen all the help that you have given other people, so I hope this will help you. During my search of the Harris family, I came across a posting in Dickson County, Tennessee by Joseph Luther, dated Feb.6, 2005. It mentions a Buckner Harris and a Burgess Harris.

I hope this is the family you are looking for.

Barb

Posted: 8 Apr 2006 4:48PM GMT
Wade, thanks for the information about Dickson County. This is my family direction and it confirms a lot of what I had gathered but not necessarily documented. Again, thanks. Jimmie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions