Search for content in message boards

from Pico, Italy > Cranston, Rhode Island, USA

from Pico, Italy > Cranston, Rhode Island, USA

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 5:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi guys,

Pasquale Bartolomeo [17 Apr 1865-12 Feb 1933]
just checking to see if any else is working this tree.

Marc Bartolomeo

Re: from Pico, Italy > Cranston, Rhode Island, USA

Posted: 27 Aug 2008 4:28PM GMT
Surnames: Carnevale/Calise/Dimanna/Prata
I am not working on the name you requested but I am working on family that comes from Pico Italy.
I will look for your name if you would look for mine. I am searching Carnevale (Giuseppe) b. 3-13-1888 Rosa Dimanna* Born 8-2-1887. Came to this country 1903 .
It is hard to find anything in Italy because not all records are avaailable. I am looking for the names of their mother & father. I know that he died in 1976 and she in 1956
Also looking for Prata (Pasquale) in Roccamonfina and Calise(Immaculata) in Forio D'Ischia both born in 1892 he died 1985 she died 1970.same iformation for them.Thank you Elaine

Posted: 4 Sep 2008 3:43AM GMT
Surnames: MORETTI
I was told my grandfather's family was from Pico. I wish I could trace them. The did end up in Cranston, RI. My grandfather's name was Henry (Enrico) Moretti. His father was Joseph (Giuseppe) Moretti. His mother was named Vincenza. I was told he went to Brazil first before coming to the USA. He was born c. 1898, Sept 19 and died in 1970. Some of his siblings were Michael, Rosa, Santino, Doljesio. I have no idea how to search records in Pico...

Posted: 4 Sep 2008 12:24PM GMT
I am sorry I am unable to help as I too have been having trouble trying to get into the Italian records.
I guess that they have not put much on line.
Have you had any success with the regular records?
I would be glad to help look up any records in Rhode Island.
lilgram

Posted: 15 Sep 2008 9:21PM GMT
I'm also not looking at this family but the town name sounded familiar from my looking at maps of the area around Itri where my family is from. Pico is inland from Itri on the SS 82.

The easiest way to find it is to locate Naples, come up the coast towards towards Gaeta. Just before Geata is the SS 7 / Via Appia. Trace that inland to Itri, abt. 8km. Heading out of Itri up into the mountains is SS 82 / Via Civita Farnese & after the turn-off for Sanuario Madonna Civita - a major big deal for those from Itri, it's called Via Farnese Sud. Just trace the SS 82 til you come to Pico abt. 20km straight line distance from Itri.

My favorite map site especially since they started including the "Bird's Eye" view function for a lot of the maps is MultiMap. Find it at:
http://www.multimap.com/

Now that you know a bit of the geography of your family, Pico is the Lazio Region, Frosinone Province. Pico, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy is the progression when writing it.

Like so much of that area, the LDS was only allowed to film a limited span of records. For Pico the filming was from 1816 - 1865.

You will want to go to familysearch.org, then the Library tab, FHL Catolog, "Place" search, type in Pico. "Italy, Frosinone, Pico" will be your first choice in the que. Click on that and link to the Film Notes....there are 13 films. They will be in Italian and are, for the most part, Napoleonic records which means there is a TON of information in each record. If you've had French, Spanish or another Latin based language in school, you'll catch on fairly fast to what the records are telling you. The format is pretty standard throughout the years.

You will be looking Nati, Matrimoni & Morti. You can use the Processetti to claw your way back beyond 1816 in some instances. The processetti were the files of births, deaths and sometimes military records that the couple had to hand in prior to marriage, so in some instances you will be able to look at some atto, as the BMD are called in Italy, that are earlier than the 1816 cut-off. The Diversi films are a hodge-podge of stray records and papers that the LDS filmed.

Before looking at the films, check your library for the book "Italian Genealogical Records" by Trafford R. Cole ISBN 0-916489-58-2. It will explain Napoleonic records and contains a whole lot more information about other records and sources. If you are in an area with a high concentration of Italian settlement, your Family History Center where you will order your films and research them, may have a copy of the book on hand as mine does.

You will want to get the death records from RI Archives for Pasquale & Philomina. Those should give you their parents' names so that you'll be able to look at the Pico films and work back on your family from Pasquale & Philomina's parents.

Some of your births, which are before 1907, will also be there. The Archives did take limited look-up requests and make copies for reasonable fee. I know they were understaffed. You will need to check with Archives directly to see what they can and can't do for you, fees, etc. Here is the info for that:

Rhode Island State Archives
337 Westminster Street
Providence, Rhode Island 02903
Telephone: (401) 222-2353
Fax: (401) 222-3199
Email: reference@sec.state.ri.us
Web: www.state.ri.us/archives/ ~~website is poorly designed and pretty much useless from a genealogy point of view.
Open to the public Monday-Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

Deaths from about 1856 to 1957. Births and marriages from about 1856 to 1907. On 1 Jan of each year, another year's records are released so 1957/1907 will increase to 1958/1908 next 1 Jan 09. Anything which falls after 1957/1907 must be obtained from the RI Health Dept. / Vital Records and is now $20 a certificate.
Archives also has RI State Censuses done on the "5" years from 1865 - 1935 with the exception of 1895 which is MIA.

Catholic Cemeteries in RI ~~ It's pretty much a given that your family was Catholic so are probably buried in a Catholic cemetery. Given where they were in Cranston, St. Ann's, Cranston is my bet.

You will need a death date to find a burial. All the Catholic cemeteries that are owned by the Diocese of Providence, of which St. Ann's is one, keep their records by death date with no system to cross-reference by surname. The only exception to that are WW II combat casualties. When you do locate what cemetery someone is in & a DOD, call the office at the cemetery directly. The main Cemeteries Office in Providence is a waste of time.

Arrival ~~ People did come in through the Port of Providence but with luck, yours came in through Ellis Island. The Ellis Island site is a pain in the butt to search but you can search it more efficiently through Steve Morse's 1 Step site.

You may have to play around a bit with spelling variations although the 1 Step site makes that pretty easy. You may only find one person in your family and "find" the rest when you look at the actual image for the ships' manifest. That was the case with my family because the spellings on the surname were so mangled by the person recording them on the manifest.

Steve Morse's 1 Step site....a lot here, not just for Ellis Island but also Castle Garden, NYC vitals & naturalizations and a whole bunch more:

http://stevemorse.org/

Obits - he farther back you go, the simpler they are. Chances are good that the Providence Journal is where you will find an obit if one was published. The Providence Public Library has all of the Providence Journal from day 1 on microfilm. For a service charge of $5 with at minimum, year and month of death, they can look-up and copy the obits for you directly from the image of the newspaper. You will need to check with them to make sure nothing...fee, etc, has changed since I got this information. The Projo from 1983 - present is on line at ProQuest & accessable with a RI Library card.

Providence Public Library:

Providence Public Library Reference Services
150 Empire Street
Providence, Rhode Island 02903
Phone:401-455-8005.
Main number is 401-455-8000.
http://www.provlib.org/default.html
Email at pplref@provlib.org

The last time I checked, the costs were a $5 service fee with a charge of $0.20 per page for copies. You make your request with names and dates, they do a look-up and let you know what they found. Because they had a problem with sending the copies to people but never receiving payment, now before they will do the copy you will have to send the $5 and the cost for however many pages of copies they've said your information is contained on. (Before Belo Corp. took over the Providence Journal, there were the traditional obits on one page and there could be a larger personal bio on an adjoining page so at least 2 pages of obit information is possible.)

If you order your obits, wedding announcements, etc.directly from the Providence Journal all you will get for your money is a text transcript of the information. You will miss out on any photographs that might have accompanied the obit or article and it will cost you approximately the same amount of money.

This is massive so I'll put specifics on your family that I've found at Ancestry in another reply.

BARTOLOMEO Pico, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy > Cranston, Rhode Island, USA

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: BARTOLOMEO & associated families
Now the good stuff ~~

You will note that Pasquale arrived a couple of years before Philomena & Joseph. Two reasons for this I can think of. the first being that perhaps Pasquale came over to make the money necessary to send for the rest of the family as happened with a maternal great-great grandfather in my family OR they were caught-up in the same quota thing that my Italian family was.

I was told this - After the unification of Italy into one country abt. 1870 or so, things were not so great for the southern Italians prompting an exodus. To slow down the outflow of population, the Italian government put quotas on as to how many people could leave in a given period.

My family arrived in the US together but left Italy in steps because of this. My Grandmother and oldest Aunt got out first and waited in Marseilles, France where my second Aunt was born while they were waiting for the next period when my Grandfather could leave. He got out the next open period. The steamship line they traveled on was out of Marseilles and stopped there to pick-up more US bound passengers, among them, naturally, my Grandmother and two Aunts.

That said...Censuses for your family...some things may seem inconsistent...My personal experience with US censuses is that they are a good guide but to be taken with a grain of salt....I've found many errors in the US censuses; some minor and some really egregious.

1930 United States Federal Census > Rhode Island > Providence > Cranston > District 189; 11 April; 30 Chestnut Hill Ave (2 family house)

BARTOLOMEO, Pasqual, head, 61y, age at 1st marriage - 22y, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, imm. 1897 NA, laborer, city roads
( ) Philomina, wife, 62y, age at 1st. marriage 22y, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, imm. 1894 NA, none
( ) Angelo, son, 25y, single, b. RI, parents b. Italy, attendant, gasoline station
BARTOLOMEO, Thomas, head, 33y, age at 1st marriage 22y, b. RI, parents b. Italy, laborer, laundry
( ) Anna, wife, 20y, age at 1st marriage 20y, b. RI, parents b. Italy, none
( ) Margaret, dau, 8y, single, b. RI, parents b. RI, none
( ) Joseph, son, 5y, single, b. RI, parents b. RI, none
( ) Thomas Jr, son, 1 mo, single, b. RI, parents b. RI, none

1920 United States Federal Census > Rhode Island > Providence > Cranston > District 92; 2 Jan; 30 Chestnut Hill Ave

BARTOLOMEO, Pasquale, head, owns house, 53y, imm. 1893, NA 1900, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, box maker, box shop
( ) Filomena, wife, 52y, imm. 1897, NA 1900, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, none
( ) Joseph, son, 30y, single, imm. 1897, NA 1900, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, folder, print works* {*There was in this area a large company that printed cotton fabric in calicos and other prints; it was known as Cranston Print Works...within shouting distance of St. Ann's Cemetery...could be where he worked.}
( ) Thomas, son, 22y, single, b. RI, parents b. Italy, assistant foreman, laundry
( ) Antonio, son, 19y, single, b. RI, parents b. Italy, helper, paint shop
( ) Frank, son, 17y, single, b. RI, parents b. Italy, none
( ) Angelo, son, 14y, single, b. RI, parents b. Italy, none

Second family in the house is Gentile, Frank & Loretta both b. Italy with daus. Mary & Helen b. RI. I think this may be daughter that appears as Lauria/Laura in 1900 & 1910

GENTILE, Frank, head, 27y, imm. 1907, NA 1919, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, folder, print works - see other comment abt. this
( ) Loretta, wife, 27y, imm. 1897, NA 1900, none
( ) Mary, dau, 3y 3 mos, b. RI, parents b. Italy, none
Helen, dau, 1y 1 mo, b. RI, parents b. Italy, none

1910 United States Federal Census > Rhode Island > Providence > Cranston Ward 3 > District 76; 11>no month entered<; 70 Chestnut Hill Ave
BARTOLOMIO Pasquale, head, 44y, marriage 1, 21ys married, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, imm. 1896 NA, laborer, factory, owner house
( ) Filom*na, wife, 43y, marriage 1, 21ys married, mother of 11 with 6 living, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, none
( ) Joseph, son, 20y, single, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, laborer, factory
( ) Lauria, dau, 17y, single, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, laborer, factory
( ) Domenico, son, 13y, single, b. RI, parents b. Italy, none
( ) Antonio, son, 9y, single, b. RI, parents b. Italy, none
( ) Frank, son, 7y, single, b. RI, parents b. Italy, none
( ) Angelo, son, 4y, single, b. RI, parents b. Italy, none
VINACULA, Joseph, border, 19y, single, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, laborer, street railway
DEL PADRE, Crescent, border, 36y, marriage 1, **, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, imm. 1896 AL, laborer, light company

1900 United States Federal Census > Rhode Island > Providence > Cranston > District 121; 29 June; Church St
BARTOLOMO, Pasquale, head, b. Apr 1865*, 35y, married 12y, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, imm. 1893, here 7y NA, farm laborer {*If you are lucky this is correct and his birth will be filmed. Additionally, the parish priest just may have made a marginal note containing the date of Pasquale & Philomena's marriage as was the case with my Grandparents' marriage which was entered in the margin of my Grandfather birth act. Also noted was the date my Grandfather left Itri for the US}
( ) Philems, wife, b. b. Aug 1869, Two ages entered - 30y & 33y, married 12y, mother of 4 with 3 living, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, imm. 1893, here 7y NA, >blank<
( ) Joseph, son, b. Nov 1888, b. Italy, parents b. Italy,imm. 1893, here 7y NA, >blank<
( ) Laura, dau, b. Feb. 1892, b. Italy, parents b. Italy,imm. 1893, here 7y NA, >blank<
( ) Thomas, son, b. Apr 1896, 3y, b. RI, parents b. Italy, >blank<
**RAMADRO, John, border, b. Apr 1872, single, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, imm. 1895, here 5y AL, day laborer, highway
MONETITI, Constance, border, (male), Dec 1867, two ages entered 33y & 32y, single, b. b. Italy, parents b. Italy, imm. 1895, here 5y AL, day laborer, highway
SAND*VIA, Manu*e**, border, b. Jan 1879, 21y, single, b. Italy, parents b. Italy, imm. 1895, here 5y AL, day laborer, highway

RI Marriages, 1636 - 1930 Database

Francesco Gentile Lauretta M Bartolomeo* 18 Sep 1915

Laura Bartolomeo* Christie Mercurio 18 Jan 1912

*Either or both of these could be Pasquale & Philomina's daughter. She could have been married, widowed and then married Francesco. I'm certain that the Gentile marriage is her because they are living in the same house as Pasquale & Philomina in 1920.

Thomas Bartolomeo Anna C Ricci 03 Oct 1920

RI Deaths 1636 - 1930 database
Giuseppe Bartolomeo Kin ~ Pasquale Bartolomeo Filomena Bartolomeo d. 05 Jun 1923 33 yrs

1948 Cranston City Directory
Bartolomeo - Filomena wid Pasquale died Nov 2, 1946
By the next directory, 1950, in the database Filomena is also gone. Someone would have to check the 1949 directory on site at a Cranston Library to see if Filomena's death date is also given.

SSDI -

Angelo Bartolomeo 26 Jul 1905 20 Dec 2001 Narragansett, Washington, Rhode Island

Anthony Bartolomeo 20 Sep 1900 Apr 1978 Cranston, Providence, Rhode Island
Also, from the MA Death Index Anthony Bartolomeo Attleboro d. 24 Apr 1978 b. Rhode Island (on the SSDI, the place given was the last residence. RI is small and it's possible that Anthony was working in Attleboro when he died or maybe a traffic accident. You will have to get an obit to find out just what were the circumstances here)

Frank Bartolomeo 14 Nov 1902 Jul 1987 Westerly, Washington, Rhode Island

Thomas Bartolomeo 14 Mar 1897 Jul 1977 Providence, Providence, Rhode Island

Anna Bartolomeo 8 Oct 1899 Sep 1985 Cranston, Providence, Rhode Island

Theresa Bartolomeo 29 Aug 1905 Apr 1995 Westerly, Washington, Rhode Island

Hazel B. Bartolomeo 20 Jan 1905 15 Nov 1996 Cranston, Providence, Rhode Island

WW I Draft...we'll have to trust Ancestry on this transcription since only the top left quarter of the card appears when trying to view the image.....Name: Thomas Bartolomeo City: Cranston County: Providence
State: Rhode Island Birthplace: Rhode Island;United States of America Birth Date: 14 Mar 1897
Roll: 1852216* Draft Board: 0 (*This number is too great to be an NARA number I think so maybe a FHL film # . Original data: United States, Selective Service System. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration. M1509, 4,582 rolls. )

WW II Draft 1942

Frank Albert Gentile 7 May 1892 Arlans, Italy Cranston, Rhode Island
From the image: 37 Chestnut Hill Ave, Cranston, RI; 49y, b. 7 May 1892, Ailano, Italy; contact person - Guiseppe Bramaldi, 39 Chestnut Hill Ave, Cranston, RI; Employer - Apponaug Finishing Co, Apponaug, RI (Apponaug is a section of the City of Warwick near the junctions of Rt. 117 & Rt. 5 ; a straight shot south down Rt. 5 from Cranston) 5' 5", 140 lbs, brown eyes, gray hair, ruddy complexion. Dtd. 27 April 1942

Projo archived at ProQuest:

OBITUARIES 1; [All Edition 1]
Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Dec 22, 2001. pg. B.04

Cranston

ANGELO "WHITEY" BARTOLOMEO, 96, formerly of Arlington Manor, Birch Street, former chief custodian at Keany Gym, South Kingstown, died Thursday at South County Nursing Center, North Kingstown.

He was the husband of the late Hazel (Barnard) Bartolomeo. Born in Cranston, he was the son of the late Pasquale and Filomena (DiStefano) Bartolomeo, and was a lifelong resident of Cranston.

He was employed as a chief custodian at Keany Gym by the University of Rhode Island for seven years, retiring in 1970. Previously, he was employed by Cranston Print Works as a color mixer for 13 years.

Mr. Bartolomeo was a member of the Cranston Senior Citizens Center, and a former vice president of the Arlington Manor Tenants Association and Rhode Island Boy Scouts Alumni Association for 29 years. He was a 25-year member of the Rhode Island State Central Grange, and an acolyte at the 8 a.m. services at Arlington Manor.

He leaves a son, Paul A. Bartolomeo of Narragansett, and two grandchildren.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Monday at 9 a.m. in Assumption Chruch, Potters Avenue, Providence. Burial will be private.

Frank Bartolomeo
Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Jul 13, 1987. pg. C-03
~~~~~~~~~~~~
WESTERLY --- Frank Bartolomeo, 84, of 5 Midway Ave., a foreman for the former United Wire and Supply Co., Cranston, before retiring in 1967, died Saturday at Westerly Hospital. He was the husband of Theresa (Rossi) Bartolomeo.

Born in Cranston, he was a son of the late Pasquale and Filomena (DeStefano) Bartolomeo.

Mr. Bartolomeo was a communicant of Immaculate Conception Church.

Besides his wife he leaves a son, Frank Bartolomeo of Lake Jackson, Tex.; two daughters, Anne O'Rourke of Westerly and Mrs. Albert C. Perrino Jr. of Pavistock, Del.; a brother, Angelo Bartolomeo of Cranston; 12 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

The funeral will be held Wednesday at 9:15 a.m. from the Gaffney-HDolan Funeral Home, 59 Spruce St., with a Mass of Christian Burial at 10 at Immaculate Conception Church, High Street. Burial will be in River Bend Cemetery.
~~~~~~
Anna Bartolomeo
Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Sep 15, 1985. pg. C-16

CRANSTON --- Anna Bartolomeo, 85, of 39 Pavilion Ave. died yesterday at Memorial Hospital. She was the widow of Thomas Bartolomeo.

Born in Providence, a daughter of the late Crescenzo and Maria Antonia (Ricci) Ricci, she lived in Cranston for 65 years.

She leaves two daughters, Margaret Mikaelian and Grace Jackson, both of Cranston; two sons, Joseph Bartolomeo of Cranston and Thomas Bartolomeo of Narragansett; two sisters, Amelia Savastano of North Providence and Christine Lisi of Providence; a brother, Rocco Ricci of Pawtucket; 14 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

The funeral will be held Tuesday at 9 a.m. from the Nardolillo Funeral Home, 1278 Park Ave., with a Mass of Christian Burial at St. Mary's Church, Cranston Street, at 10. Burial will be in St. Ann's Cemetery.

KEYWORDS: obituary picture
~~~~~
This must be Thomas, Jr.'s wife

Claire Bartolomeo
Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Jan 27, 1988. pg. C-02

NARRAGANSETT --- Claire Bartolomeo, 61, of 52 Wayland Trail, a data processor for Bostich, East Greenwich, for 18 years before retiring in September, died Monday at St. Joseph Hospital. She was the wife of Thomas Bartolomeo.

Born in Providence, a daughter of Gilda (Iannuccilli) Gorgone of Providence, and the late Frank Gorgone, she moved to Narragansett in 1966.

She was a member of the Mettatuxet Improvement Association Senior Citizens Group.

Besides her husband and mother she leaves three daughters, Joan Bartolomeo, Town Council president, Gail Schaeffer, both of Narragansett, and Anne Doyle of Philadelphia; a son, Thomas Bartolomeo Jr. of Narragansett; two brothers, Anthony Gorgone of Smithfield, Stephen Gorgone of Providence, and three granddaughters.

The funeral will be held Friday at 9 a.m. from the Nardolillo Funeral Home, 1278 Park Ave., Cranston, with a Mass of Christian Burial at 10 at St. Mary's Church, Cranston Street, Cranston. Burial will be in St. Ann's Cemetery, Cranston.

~~~~~~
OBITUARIES-CRANSTON-JACKSON; [All Edition]
The Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Jun 20, 2006. pg. D.04
JACKSON, GRACE A. (BARTOLOMEO), 74, of Cranston, died Saturday, June 17, 2006 at Rhode Island Hospital, Providence. She was the beloved wife of the late Arthur J. Jackson Sr.

Born in Providence she was the daughter of the late Thomas and Anna (Ricci) Bartolomeo. Mrs. Jackson resided at her present address for the past forty- seven years.

Grace was a loyal Red Sox fan who enjoyed gardening and loved yellow roses. She was also an excellent cook. Grandma Graces meatballs were the best and will be missed, along with her spinach pies, stuffed quahogs, and Grandmas soup.

She loved spending time with family and friends. Some of her favorite moments were spent with her children and grandchildren at baseball, softball, and soccer games, gymnastic meets, and school events. Short hikes on the beach or a wooded trail or just hanging out with her children and grandchildren were her happiest times.

She was an avid bowler who also enjoyed occasional trips to Foxwoods with friends. Her door was always open to visitors who she loved to sit and chat with over a cup of tea. She will be missed by many.

She is survived by her four children Arthur J. Jackson, Jr. of Tyngsboro, MA, Alan T. Jackson of Warwick, Lynn A. O'Malley of Cranston and Denise M. Portrais of North Scituate.

Mrs. Jackson was the grandmother of Amy and Shaina Jackson, Alison Jackson, Brian and James O'Malley and Kelley and Luke Portrais. She was the sister of Margaret Mikaelian of Cranston, Joseph Bartolomeo of Cranston and Thomas Bartolomeo of Wakefield.

Funeral from the NARDOLILLO FUNERAL HOME, 1278 Park Avenue, Cranston, on Thursday a 9 AM followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at 10 AM in St. Ann's Church, Cranston Street, Cranston. Burial will be in St. Ann's Cemetery, Cranston. VISITING HOURS Wednesday 4-8 PM. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, RI Chapter, 1150 Pontiac Ave., Cranston, RI 02920.
~~~~~
Westerly THERESA BARTOLOMEO
Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Apr 23, 1995. pg. B-06

THERESA BARTOLOMEO, 89, of 5 Midway Ave., a jeweler for the Charles Rothman Co., Providence, for several years before retiring, died Thursday at Westelry Health Center. She was the widow of Frank Bartolomeo.

Born in Providence, a daughter of the late Luigi and Concetta (Scorpio) Rossi, she lived in Cranston for several years before moving to Westerly several years ago.

Mrs. Bartolomeo was a communicant of Immaculate Conception Church.

She leaves a son, Frank Bartolomeo of Lake Jackson, Texas; two daughters, Anne O'Rourke of Westerly with whom she made her home, and Mrs. Albert C. Perrino Jr. of Wilmington, Del.; a brother, Vincent Rossi of Johnstown, N.Y.; a sister, Ella Azzarone of Cranston; 12 grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated tomorrow at 10 a.m. at Immaculate Conception Church, High Street. Burial will be in River Bend Cemetery.
~~~~~
Cranston CHARLES ''GARO'' MIKAELIAN; [ALL Edition]
The Providence Sunday Journal. Providence, R.I.: Mar 21, 1999. pg. C.09

CHARLES "GARO" MIKAELIAN, 75, of Pavilion Avenue, owner-operator of Garo's Beauty Salon, May Street, North Providence, formerly of Admiral Street, Providence, for 50 years, retiring in 1998, died Wednesday at Rhode Island Hospital. He was the husband of Margaret (Bartolomeo) Mikaelian.

Born in Providence, a son of Eva (Serabian) Mikaelian of Cranston and the late Nishan Mikaelian, he lived in Cranston for 45 years. Mr. Mikaelian was an Army veteran of World War II, having served in the Pacific.

He was a member of Sts. Vartanantz Armenian Apostolic Church, Providence, and its former Mourad Band, the Sts. Vartanantz Men's Club and its bowling league and the Hi-Rollers Bowling League. He was a former Cub master of Pack 25, Arlington School, a member of Post 2596, VFW, and the Cranston Senior Center.

Besides his wife and mother, he leaves two sons, Joseph P. Mikaelian of Westerly and Garo C. Mikaelian of Cranston; two daughters, Carol A. Schlink and Cynthia A. Klenk, both of Providence; a brother, Peter Mikaelian, and a sister, Zarouhi "Sarah" Rumburg, both of Cranston; and five grandchildren. He was the brother of the late Areknaz Mikaelian.

The funeral will be held tomorrow at 10 a.m. from John K. Najarian Funeral Home, 1447 Westminster St., Providence, with a service at 11 in Sts. Vartanantz Armenian Apostolic Church, 402 Broadway, Providence. Burial with military honors will be in St. Ann Cemetery.
~~~~
OBITUARIES-CRANSTON-PALMACCIO
Anonymous. The Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Feb 1, 2008. pg. C.4

PALMACCIO, MARY J. (GENTILE) 91, of Cranston Street, Cranston passed away on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 in Roger Williams Medical Center Providence. She was the wife of the late Erasmo Palmaccio.

Born in Cranston she was the daughter of the late Frank and Loretta (Bartolomeo) Gentile. She worked at Cranston Print Works Cranston for ten years until her retirement.

She is survived by her daughter Ann Marie McDermott of Scituate and a son Raymond A. Palmaccio of Cranston, two sisters, Filomena Long of Coventry, Loretta Gerrish of Cranston and the late Helen Freda and Frank Gentile. Mrs. Palmaccio was the grandmother of six.

Relatives and friends are invited to attend a Mass of Christian Burial on Saturday at 10 a.m. in St. Marys Church, Cranston Street, Cranston. Burial will be in St. Ann Cemetery, Cranston.

Visiting Hours are respectfully omitted. In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to: Meeting Street School, 667 Waterman Ave., East Providence, R.I. 02914. Visit www.nardolillo.com for information and online condolences.
~~~~~~
Westerly CHARLES W. O'ROURKE; [ALL Edition]
The Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Jan 1, 1999. pg. B.07

CHARLES W. O'ROURKE, 75, of 3 Midway Ave., district sales manager for Hackney Bros. Body Co., retiring in 1988, died Wednesday at home. He was the husband of Anne (Bartolomeo) O'Rourke.

Born in Providence, he was a son of the late John F. and Isabella (Rooney) O'Rourke.

Mr. O'Rourke was an Army veteran of World War II. He was a member of the Rhode Island Truck Association. He was a collector for Catholic Charities in Cranston.

Besides his wife, he leaves a son, Michael E. O'Rourke of Lincoln; two daughters, Sandra Dragon of Cranston and Colleen Capezza of South Kingstown; a brother, John F. O'Rourke of Cranston; a sister, Kathleen Lombardi of Sebastian, Fla.; six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Monday at 11 a.m. in Church of the Immaculate Conception, 111 High St. Burial will be in River Bend Cemetery.
~~~~~
Cranston FRANK A. GENTILE JR.; [ALL Edition]
Providence Journal - Bulletin. Providence, R.I.: Jul 9, 1998. pg. D.08
FRANK A. GENTILE JR., 72, of Lark Avenue, a maintenance supervisor for the Cranston Housing Authority for many years, retiring in 1986, died Monday at Our Lady of Fatima Hospital, North Providence. He was the husband of the late Anna (Salerno) Gentile.

Born in Providence, the son of the late Frank A. and Loretta (Bartolomeo) Gentile, he was a lifelong Cranston resident. He leaves two daughters, Joan Gentile and Diane Gentile, both of Cranston, and three sisters, Mary Palmaccio of Cranston, Phyllis Long of Coventry and Loretta Gerrish of Cranston. He was the brother of the late Helen Freda.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated today at 9 a.m. in St. Mary Church, Cranston Street. Burial will be in St. Ann Cemetery
~~~~~~
Cranston ELENA M. FREDA
Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Dec 3, 1994. pg. A-11

ELENA M. FREDA, 76, of Lark Avenue, died yesterday at St. Joseph Hospital, North Providence. She was the wife of the late Ario Freda.

Born in Providence, a daughter of the late Frank and Loretta (Bartolemeo) Gentile, she had lived in Cranston all her life.

She leaves two daughters, Patricia A. Pallante of Cranston and Paula Hayes of Gainesville, Va.; three sisters, Mary Palmaccio and Loretta Gerrish, both of Cranston, and Philomena Long of Coventry; a brother, Frank Gentile of Cranston; and six grandchildren. She was sister of the late John M. Gentile and John Gentile.

The funeral will be held Monday at 9 a.m. from the Nardolillo Funeral Home, 1278 Park Ave., with a Mass of Christian Burial at 10 in St. Mary Church, Cranston Street. Burial will be in St. Ann Cemetery.

KEYWORDS: obituary picture@1
~~~~~
Cranston ANNA GENTILE
Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: May 6, 1994. pg. B-08

ANNA GENTILE, 70, of Lark Avenue died Wednesday at home. She was the wife of Frank Gentile.

Born in Providence, she was a daughter of the late Pasquale and Martha (Chevette) Salerno. She lived in Cranston 40 years.

Besides her husband, she leaves two daughters, Joan and Diane Gentile, both of Cranston, and a sister, Mary Salerno of Providence.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated tomorrow at 9 a.m. at St. Mary Church, Cranston Street. Burial will be in St. Ann Cemetery.

~~~~~~
Maybe one of yours -
50th; [WEST BAY Edition]
Providence Journal - Bulletin. Providence, R.I.: Aug 26, 1997. pg. C.06
Joseph and Rose (Patriarca) Bartolomeo, of Cranston, were honored on the occasion of their golden wedding anniversary with a surprise party at Luigi's Restaurant, Johnston, and a Caribbean cruise. The Bartolomeos were married May 24, 1947 in Holy Ghost Church, Providence. They have two children and a grandson.
~~~~~~
Cranston HAZEL B. BARTOLOMEO; [ALL Edition]
Providence Journal - Bulletin. Providence, R.I.: Nov 23, 1996. pg. A.09

HAZEL B. BARTOLOMEO, 91, of Birch Street, died yesterday in the Golden Crest Nursing Centre, North Providence. She was the wife of Angelo "Whitey" Bartolomeo.

Born in Providence, a daughter of the late Frederick L. and Elise W. Barnard, she livedin Cranston for most of her life. Mrs. Bartolomeo was a cafeteria cook at Bain Junior High School in Cranston for 10 years before retiring in 1967. She was a former school teacher for the Cranston School Department for many years.

She was a member of the Cranston Senior Center, and a 25-year member of the Rhode Island State Central Grange, Kent County Pomona, formerly of Warwick.

Besides her husband, she leaves a son, Paul A. Bartolomeo of Narragansett, and two grandchildren.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be held Monday at 10 a.m. in the Assumption Church, Potters Avenue, Providence. Burial will be private.
~~~~~~
Arthur J. Jackson
Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Mar 17, 1985. pg. C-18

CRANSTON --- Arthur J. Jackson, 54, of 65 Pavilion Ave., co-owner, vice president and treasurer of the City Lock Co., Providence, for 15 years, died Friday at St. Joseph Hospital, Providence. He was the husband of Grace (Bartolomeo) Jackson.

Born in North Providence, a son of Emma (Marchesseault) Jackson, and the late Archibald Jackson, he lived in Cranston for 38 years.

Mr. Jackson was previously a dispatcher for the former New Haven Railroad for 18 years. He was assistant coach for the CLCF Burger Chef baseball team, and a charter member and an organizer of Cub Scout Pack 25, Arlington School. He was a communicant of St. Ann's Church. He was a World War II Army Air Force veteran.

Besides his wife and mother he leaves two daughters, Lynn O'Malley and Denise Jackson, both of Cranston; two sons, Arthur J. Jackson Jr. of Tyngsboro, Mass., and Alan T. Jackson of Providence; four brothers, Archibald Jackson Jr. and Albert Jackson, both of Cranston, Alfred Jackson of Warwick, Andrew Jackson of Scituate, and a granddaughter.

The funeral will be held Tuesday at 9 a.m. from the Nardolillo Funeral Home, 1278 Park Ave., with a Mass of Christian Burial at St. Ann's Church, Cranston Street, at 10. Burial will be in St. Ann's Cemetery.

KEYWORDS: Picture Obituary

Well, as the saying goes, this should keep you busy & out of trouble for awhile. :) Have Fun !

Posted: 17 Sep 2008 4:06AM GMT
Surnames: MORETTI IUPPA
There seem to be way too many Morettis who somehow got from Pico, Italy to Cranston, RI...! I was told my grandfather was in Brazil for some time before getting to RI which should make the search easier, but doesn't. He was Henry (Enrico) Moretti, born abt 1898 on September 19 in Italy, and who must have been in the US by about 1925 at the latest (still looking for the date of my grandparent's marriage). He married Elsie Celia Yuppa, aka Elisia Celia Iuppa, of Cranston, RI. She was born October 6, 1905 in RI. His father was Joseph (Giuseppe) Moretti. I cannot find when my grandfather arrived in the US. Supposedly he did go thru Ellis Island.

Posted: 17 Sep 2008 4:09AM GMT
Surnames: MORETTI IUPPA FRASCOGNA RICCI
I will be doing my best to put this information to good use...thank you so much for sharing it!

Re: BARTOLOMEO Pico, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy > Cranston, Rhode Island, USA

Posted: 17 Sep 2008 4:47AM GMT
I've been able to find my family in RI, but once I reach an ancestor who came from Italy, that's where I'm stuck!

Posted: 17 Sep 2008 10:44PM GMT
Surnames: PRATA, CALISE, CARNEVALE, DIMANNA
Pasquale & Immaculata married, according to the RI marriages database at Ancestry, 19 Jul 1914.

Their marriage certificate should have at the minimum, their fathers' names and mothers' given names. The certificate will be at Vital Records, Room 101 in the RI Health Dept. building down on Smith Hill (across Smith St. from the State House and to the rear of the old Registry).

If you know where they married, you could save yourself from having to circle like a shark looking for an open parking meter and instead, go into whatever city/town hall for where they married (birth and deaths, too) and get the certificate there. You won't save any $$, it will still be $20 but at least you might save some aggravation with the parking.

Also at Vital records will be the death certs (also $20 each) for Giuseppe, Pasquale & Immaculata which should have parents' names. Hopefully the informant was someone like a spouse or child who would have known the correct names AND the informant realized that what was being asked for for "Mother" was the lady's maiden name and actually gave the maiden name for the deceased's mother.

The DC should also mention where burial was and the undertaker/funeral home. Knowing the funeral home, you can call about obtaining a copy of the funeral file. Many funeral homes will give you copies of the funeral file for the individual which can have a lot of information in it as well.

Knowing the DOD, you can also go to the Prov. Public Library and look-up & copy the obits from the microfilms of the Projo. Or pay the $5 service fee and have them do it. For that you need at the minimum month and year of death. You'll want to speak with Reference Services if you phone. 401-455-8005.

Because Rosa died in 1956, you'll find her DC at the RI State Archives on Westminister St. It's up the far end, one block in from Empire St. Parking is free for 2 hrs. in the adjacent lot when you have Archives validate your parking ticket. If you work fast, you can also walk over to the PPL and do your Projo look-ups too on the same free 2 hrs.

I don't know if you know the exact DOD's...I looked in the SSDI. After about the mid 1960's most everyone is in there but not always.

Giuseppe d. Feb 1976 in Johnston. Rosa is too soon for the SSDI and neither of your Prata"s are in there. However, also from the RI marriages database, this looks to be your Giuseppe and Rosa's marriage:
Giuseppe Carnevale Rosa DiManna 25 Jun 1911

It's very costly...abt. $27 each...but if you've no other recourse, you could send for a copy of each person's SSN application. Since the individual themselves filed out the application, that will have the correct names for parents and should have place of birth a little more specific than simply Italy or the Region + Italy. I've never sent for a SSN application because of the cost so I don't have that info off hand. You could go onto the Social Security Admin. site to find out the procedure, exact fees and where to mail to.

Since you're in RI, you can probably access the Projo archived at ProQuest to hunt for obits....anything from 1983 to present....either at your local library or by going onto your particular library's web site and seeing how to do it from home. As long as you have the RI CLAN card with the bar code, you should be all set.

Also at your local library depending upon what they subscribe to, you may be able to access Ancestry Library subscription or Heritage Quest which I've heard a lot about by our small library doesn't have. there's alsway a 14 day free trial at Ancestry, too.

Some of these things above should have parent's names. Try to find descendants of siblings of your individuals. If your families were anything like mine, there were first cousins who were near to the same age as your parents so there could be 2nd or 3rd cousins floating around that you've never met; someone there might have family information that you were unaware of. Good Luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic