Search for content in message boards

African-American Yancey from Va or N.C.

African-American Yancey from Va or N.C.

Posted: 18 Mar 2001 2:19PM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2003 1:28AM GMT
Looking for any family members of Nancy Yancey, born April, 1835 in Mecklenburg Co, Va or Granville, North Carolina. Don't have any other information but that. Would like to know if she had any siblings. Nancy is my great grandmother and she married Meredith Wilkerson.

Re: African-American Yancey from Va or N.C.

Posted: 29 Dec 2001 8:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
I know I have African-American heritage back 4-5 generations. I will speak to my father and grandfather, Dan and Harold Yancey respectively, to see if they have any specific information.

I'm brand new to this sight and am absolutely fascinated by the amount of info.

John Franklin Yancey, 33 yrs. old

Posted: 1 Jan 2002 7:35AM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2003 1:28AM GMT
Hi John,
Thanks for responding to my inquery. There was also a
man by the name of Calvin Yancey. I believed the Yanceys
may have lived in an area of Virginia called Buffalo Springs.
I know that my grandmother, Nancy Yancey married in Granville, North Carolina. I would appreciate any info that you
have. Once again thanks!

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 3:49AM GMT
My great great great grandfather's name was Fletcher Yancey. I believe his folks may have lived in VA before moving to NC. Im still researching and hope to find more information. Who knows, we could be related??

Vermay (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2003 3:20PM GMT
Have you heard of the name Calvin Yancey? I was wondering if he is perhaps related to my great grandmother Nancy.
Calvin Yancey was the bondsman for my grandmother when she got married in 1866. Usually it is a close relative that would put up bond for someone. I know that Calvin Yancey had one daughter named Sallie. Sallie married a John Pointer and they had 7 children,. That's the only connection that I have with any other yanceys. I talked to a member of the Yancey family in Virginia, but the person was not cooperative at all, so I left that alone.
Thanks for sending the information

Vermay

Re: African-American Yancey from Va

Posted: 17 Nov 2003 12:10PM GMT
There are several slaveholders in Mecklenburg county, surnamed Yancey listed in the 1860 census.

You might want to also check out information in this post (re slaves in wills) on gen forum:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/yancey/messages/571.html

Denise
For further assistance with African American family research during slavery visit the AfriGeneas Slave Research Forum
http://www.afrigeneas.com/forumd/
per page

Find a board about a specific topic