Search for content in message boards

Imsland, Norway

Imsland, Norway

Posted: 7 May 2003 8:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
My mothers side of the family came from there when they went thru elis island they gave them imsland as there last name. Come to find out the real last was Christeson (I think it is spelled right). Looking for any family members Know one was named Uriah Tyson and Jakob. Two brothers came to the united states one stayed in norway.

Re: Imsland, Norway

PR (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2003 10:11AM GMT
There was a parish called Imsland in Vikedal district of Rogaland.
What were the names of the persons who emigrated? When were they born? What year did they leave Norway? With additional data it is possible we might be able to help you locate them on one of the databases for Norwegian censuses, emigration, etc.

Posted: 10 May 2003 10:29PM GMT
Just to add to PR's post, there is also a farm and a village called Imsland. If you post some hard facts, we might be able to help you.

Stephanie

Evelyn Larson (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2003 3:31PM GMT
Surnames: Mathison/Mattison/Matheson
The name was Martin Mathison. All I can tell you about his immigrations date is that it must have been 1838 and 1864, when his first child was born in Wisconsin. Yours. Evelyn

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 5:19AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Sorry It's been so long. I am waiting on the correct spelling of their last name. At Ellis Island all they could understand was Imsland and that is how my ancestors became Imslands in America. The understanding is that two brothers came to the states settled in California and Oregon and a third brother stayed in Imsland.

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 2:50PM GMT
Are you the same poster as 'Wiley Mack' and 'Evelyn Larson'?

Can you clarify exactly what and who is being looked for?
What name(s) did they use after they emigrated? Where did they live in the new country?
When were they born?
When did they emigrate from Norway?

If you review the information given above you will see that it is not enough to search with. Perhaps the advice in this short article will help you provide useful info -
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wgnorway/good-queries.htm

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 9:57PM GMT
Norwegians at that time usually used two surnames, one patronymic and one farm name. Peder Christensen Imsland: Peder, son of Christen, from Imsland farm. They were not family surnames, they were facts.
When they came to America, they might use either of them, and they might change between them.
Spelling varied a lot: Christensen = Kristensen (same name).

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 10:22PM GMT
Those of us familiar with tracking our Norwegian ancestors already know there is no such thing as "correct spelling". You can't wait for such a thing.

There is an Imsland in free online records who MIGHT be one of the brothers you are looking for and he is easily found in his original Norwegian residence as a child with his parents, etc.

But until you provide more definite identifying information about WHO you are looking for as explained earlier -- I will not assist.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic