Search for content in message boards

St. Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran Church

St. Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran Church

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Malsch
Looking for birth, baptism and marriage records from 1860's until 1920's pertaining to relatives living back then. The church was located on the Northside of Pittsburgh. Back then it was called Allegheny City. Don't know it's exact location, just that it was on the Northside. My great grandfather was supposedly one of its founders. His name was Ferdinand Malsch. He owned a butcher shop on Rebecca Street (now Reedsdale). I tried to obtain records from the county and Carnegie Library (Pa. Department)but was told they had no records and that I should try the church the family belonged to.

Re: St. Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran Church

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:33PM GMT
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njm1/03stj...

From what I read, it merged with another church in the 70's. The link above gives some info.

This may be the new church that was formed by the merger:
http://www.brightonheightslutheranchurch.org/

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 5:40PM GMT
You can find a brief biography of Ferdinand Malsch at digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh

Click on "texts" and search for Ferdinand Malsch.

Malsch was a founder of St. Peter's that, as noted by the other reply, merged with another Lutheran church. St. Peter's, last I heard, was standing but vacant. Address is 500 Lockhart St. on the North Side.

Assuming church records still exist, I'd say they are your best bet.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 9:38PM GMT
Thanks for the links. You have been very helpful.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 10:04PM GMT
I know about the bio. That is how I found out he was one of the founders. Where were you able to find out that the church was still standing? Pitt's digital library has been very helpful to me in researching my family. I've been able to find city directories showing names of the family and where they lived from as early as 1863 until 1925; found maps showing property they owned or lived in; and even found photos of their homes, one of which I lived in the 1950's. Thanks for your help

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 10:57PM GMT
I found a reference to the church while surfing and neglected to note the site; but will take another shot. Stay tuned.

The 500 Lockhart address I posted earlier is incorrect. I used the google satellite map and street view (drag the little yellow guy) and the address comes up as 545.

However, that address is not listed on the Allegheny County Property Assessment site.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 11:12PM GMT
Found the site.

www.deutschtown.org/HistoricWalkingTour

Scroll down several pages and look for the bold face lead in "Turn Left on Lockhart St. The address is stated as 500 but that could be a typo since the satellite photo shows the church in the middle of the block, more or less.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 1:44AM GMT
Great link. Thanks a lot for all the help.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 3:30PM GMT
I reviewed properties in the block of Lockhart Street that includes St. Peter's on the Allegheny County Property Assessment site. Photos are included. I cross checked with google satellite photos.

Number 500 is correct for St. Peter's. The house to the immediate left of the church is 423, the one to the immediate right is 504.

I have no idea why St. Peter's is not listed on the property assessment site unless, somehow, it has slipped through the cracks and remains tax exempt.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 5:01PM GMT
Thanks for all your help. I will be contacting the Brighton Heights church to see if they have any records. Again thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic