Search for content in message boards

St. Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran Church

St. Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran Church

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Malsch
Looking for birth, baptism and marriage records from 1860's until 1920's pertaining to relatives living back then. The church was located on the Northside of Pittsburgh. Back then it was called Allegheny City. Don't know it's exact location, just that it was on the Northside. My great grandfather was supposedly one of its founders. His name was Ferdinand Malsch. He owned a butcher shop on Rebecca Street (now Reedsdale). I tried to obtain records from the county and Carnegie Library (Pa. Department)but was told they had no records and that I should try the church the family belonged to.

Re: St. Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran Church

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:33PM GMT
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njm1/03stj...

From what I read, it merged with another church in the 70's. The link above gives some info.

This may be the new church that was formed by the merger:
http://www.brightonheightslutheranchurch.org/

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 3:14PM GMT
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 13 Mar 2013 7:18PM GMT

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 5:40PM GMT
You can find a brief biography of Ferdinand Malsch at digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh

Click on "texts" and search for Ferdinand Malsch.

Malsch was a founder of St. Peter's that, as noted by the other reply, merged with another Lutheran church. St. Peter's, last I heard, was standing but vacant. Address is 500 Lockhart St. on the North Side.

Assuming church records still exist, I'd say they are your best bet.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 9:38PM GMT
Thanks for the links. You have been very helpful.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 9:53PM GMT
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 13 Mar 2013 7:26PM GMT

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 9:59PM GMT
Have you checked the Pennsylvania County Marriage records at www.familysearch.org
There are quite a few Malsch families represented in that data base. I don't know if they are from your branch of the family but it's worth a look.
Ignore photo's post about destroyed records. I have found many of my ancestors records from that time period. There was no conspiracy to destroy Pittsburgh records as he likes to believe.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 10:04PM GMT
I know about the bio. That is how I found out he was one of the founders. Where were you able to find out that the church was still standing? Pitt's digital library has been very helpful to me in researching my family. I've been able to find city directories showing names of the family and where they lived from as early as 1863 until 1925; found maps showing property they owned or lived in; and even found photos of their homes, one of which I lived in the 1950's. Thanks for your help

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 10:09PM GMT
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 13 Mar 2013 7:19PM GMT

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 10:10PM GMT
Yes I have been to the familysearch.org website. One or two of the marriage records pertains to my family tree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions