Search for content in message boards

brooks in devon or south london

brooks in devon or south london

colin brooks (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2001 8:29AM GMT
info wanted,known to have lived in pyeworthy devon, moved to greenwich or woolwich in s.e. london early 1900s

Brooks of Devon

Posted: 25 Feb 2001 11:16AM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2002 1:05AM GMT
I am descendent of Hugh Brooks and Elizabeth Jones, South Molton in North Devon. Married Dec. 1842 Challacombe.Moved to Brayford in 1860. Then to Canada 1868. Had 11 children. If you think we could be related please contact me.

brooks of devon

colin brooks (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2001 3:15AM GMT
south molton is approx. 28 miles north of pyworthy and has a direct connection by road so a fair chance we are related, unfortunatey i have just started researching and have little information. my late father told me that his grandfather left home to become a sailor out of barnstaple which is only 10 miles east of south molton, i am guessing this would be about 1850 to 1865.
if you wish please contact me direct. my e-mail address is iambrooksie@aol.com

Re: brooks of devon

Posted: 30 Oct 2001 10:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Sep 2002 1:44PM GMT
I have a memorial card for Edwin Brooks beloved husband of Mary A. Brooks who fell asleep on November 20th, 1903, aged 56 years. Interred at Langtree Churchyard, Devon. Not my family, I just collect the cards and am only posting in case this information may help in some small way.

Re: brooks in devon or south london

Simon (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2002 3:35PM GMT
Surnames: Brooks
I have only just started looking into my family history so I'm not sure of the Devon connection, however, My Grandmothers maiden name was Elizabeth Annie Brooks living in Woolwich SE London when she married Thomas Henry Taylor around 1928.

Do you have any more information?

Re: Brooks of Devon

Posted: 7 Nov 2002 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Brooks, Walter, Matheson et al, Darby, Howard/Stamatelos, Vestvik, Beeler
Dear Edith, I am also a Brooks descendant of Devon, England. James Brooks b. 1812 in Bradworthy, Devon, England married Miriam Walter, dau of Wm Walter and Miriam Trathem, on May 5, 1837. She lived at Whitely Farm in Bradworthy. It is believed that at least three of their children: Wm-1838, Mary Grace-1842, Elizabeth Ann-1845 were born in Bradworthy before they emigrated to Goderich, Huron, Ont., Canada sometime after 1845 when Elizabeth was born but before my great great grandfather James was born in 1848 in Goderich. Miriam had three sisters living in Goderich and Colborne Twps. Searching for ancestors of James Brooks in the Devon, England area and will be glad to share what information I have.

Edith Hoffman (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2002 6:34PM GMT
Surnames: Brooks/Pleace
Hugh Brooks and Elizabeth Jones had 6 sons: William1854,Isaac 1866,David1859,Thomas1857,John 1845 &
Hugh1848. 5 Daughters: Mary Ann (Sanders),Eliza (Paddison), Elizabeth (Campbell),Ellen Grace & Harriet(Foster).Left Liverpool 1868 on the Belgium and docked in Portland, Maine. Went by Great Western Railway to London, Ontario arriving in 1869. John, my G.Grandfather died in Muskoka, Ont.1892. His daughter, Matilda married my grandfather John Ephraim Martin Pleace. If you have any connections with the Brooks/Pleace name please contact me.

mary brooks (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2004 8:57PM GMT
My father was John Earnest Brooks, born May 3, 1915, his father I believe was Thomas Brooks, his grandparents Hugh and Elizabeth - Brooks Field in "Wales?"

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 9:10PM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2012 9:19PM GMT
I am also a decendant of Hugh Brooks and Elizabeth Jones Brooks. They are my great great grandparents. Eliza married William Paddison, my great grand father. I would love to get more information if you have any.
Thank you
charles

Re: brooks of devon

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 2:55PM GMT
Surnames: Brooks
Edwin Brooks was a member of my wife's family. Do you still have the card? Would be interested in a copy of it in case there is any further information about him.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions