Search for content in message boards

Ridge family history from celina TN

Ridge family history from celina TN

Posted: 28 Nov 2000 8:20AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jan 2003 3:45PM GMT
My father is Michael Ridge his father was Sherman Ridge born 1928, his father was James Ridge. I never knew my grandfather and woul like information on him and his family. I'm told that there is cherokkee lines in the family which is another thing I'm researching. I have some history on some Ridges, Nivens,Cole families in Celina Tennessee.Please contact me

ridge

jane benge keeney (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2000 9:36AM GMT
If you haven't read the book "Trail of Tears" by Ehle, you should, very interesting. Also there is a book,"Cherokee Roots" by Bob Blankenship, which gives a lot of info on the descendents of Major Ridge, and follows through to 1924, which might give you the given names of those you are looking fo.You can gain some info by emailing: rbarr@cherokee.org, their offices are in Tahlequah,OK at the cherokee nation library. Major Ridge and son John were quite famous.

Celina Tennessee Ridge's

Chris Ridge (View posts)
Posted: 22 Dec 2000 11:16AM GMT
Tammy,

I currently live in the Celina Tennessee area and have done quite a bit of research on the family. I have a William Fred Ridge that was married to Zora Burchett. They had children; Frank Henry(Mutt), Sherman, Belva Jean, Bonnie Lee, Mack, Mildred, Houston, and Lonnie Russell. If you think this may be your family let me know. I would like to compare notes. My e-mail is clr6979@hotmail.com.

Ridge name

Posted: 30 Dec 2000 4:43PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2004 11:01PM GMT
It is not likely that any of the Ridges of the Southeastern US are related to Major Ridge. Read "Cherokee Tragedy, The Story of The Ridge Family" by Thurman Wilkins. Major Ridge and his son John were murdered in 1839 the year after the Trail Of Tears in 1838. The only likely male heirs of that Ridge family are from John Rollin Ridge, Major Ridge's grandson. They moved to California and became known in News Paper circles and Wine business. Look west for descendent of Major Ridge. Most or all other Ridges are descended from emigrants from England, Ireland, scotland and Germany, but mostly from England.

Mary Ridge

Barrett King (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2001 3:01PM GMT
In your search have you run across a Mary Ridge b 1802? NC M a Johnson King.You can mail me at Barrettk6@aol.com. Thanks, Baer

ridge names

ginger (ridge) diltz (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2001 10:37PM GMT
in the family bible that i have this is the order of the line that may be connected with you.
my father waynard ridge jr b. 1/11/43
my grand father paternal is waynard ridge sr.
b.11/10/16 d. 6/1980
brithers and sisters are
Fred
Floyd
dalton
Sylester (dot)
noea
RB (bezer)
RD (dude)
verna ridge holman
della ridge white

these are the only names that i have and they do not have any dates. only the names were written in see if this helps. you may call me any time after 6pm pacific time. I live in Las vegas Nevada.. phone numbver is 702-309-4474
sincerly, ginger

Nivens of Tennessee

Molly Parrish (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2001 11:57AM GMT
I may have information in my records regarding your Tenn. Nivens. Please contact me.

Re: Ridge name

Sheri Ridge (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2002 3:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am a Ridge from California. My Grandfather was Reese Fern Ridge. I have heard various family stories about being indian, but family has always been HUSH HUSH. My father looks like Major Ridge, uncanny. Any history you may have researched would be appreciated. You can forward infor to SL1072@aol.com

Re: Ridge name

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 7:45PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2004 11:01PM GMT
Sheri, there are more than one line of Ridges in this country, in fact several. Not many can claim kin to Major Ridge as noted by his ancestor chart. However, some of his descendents did migrate to California.

In the Eastern part of the nation, most Ridges migrated from England, Ireland, Scotland and Germany. My own line migrated from Maryland and Virginia (and prior to that I believe from England) and thence to North Carolina. From there they migrated to middle Tennessee, thence to NE Alabama and finally Marion County, TN in about 1838-40. In 1888 and again in 1907, several filed claims for Cherokee Citizenship. Since they had not enrolled with the Dawes Commission as required in 1851, they were denied recognition as part Indian, even though it is, or was, evident in some of the offspring. I suggest it was through the ladies and not the men as our name originated in the old country.

Major Ridge was born about 1771 in Eastern, TN on the Hiwassee River and grew up on Walden Ridge, the same place where I was born, in Marion County. However, my great great grandfather, Thomas Ridge was born in Stokes County, NC in 1783. There is no relationship between the two.

Most Ridges that contact me start with the presupposition that they are descended from Major Ridge, or that they are related to the Cherokees. The latter may be true for some but the former is highly unlikely for most.

If you could go back a bit further a couple of generations and give me a few more names, I might be able to aid you in your search, but I am sorry I am unable to help with the bit of info you give. Charlie Ridge

Re: Celina Tennessee Ridge's

Posted: 28 Feb 2003 3:42AM GMT
Edited: 29 Sep 2004 6:27PM GMT
Surnames: Ridge Neely Burchett
Hi Chris, I am originally from Celina and I am trying to get info on my Ridge family. Do you know anything about Nina Mae Neely daughter of Martin D. Ridge and Bertha Burchett?Thanks, Tracy Neely Putt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic