Search for content in message boards

McCarthys in Drimoleague, Caheragh, Drinagh - Skibbereen

McCarthys in Drimoleague, Caheragh, Drinagh - Skibbereen

Posted: 9 Nov 2010 9:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Feb 2012 5:35AM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy, Caverly
Hello,

Looking specifically at the McCarthy families from Kilmore, Lissane, Tooreen, Garryglass.

Tooreen - Cornelius McCarthy and Mary McCarthy McCarthy moved to Tooreen from Kilmore; married 1860. Had seven daughters, my g-grandmother Margaret was the oldest. Have some info on Margaret, sister Nora (immigrated and married O'Brien), sister Ellen (married Maher), parents Cornelius and Mary, can't find death record for Mary. Cornelius and Mary were my grandfather's maternal grandparents.

Kilmore - Timothy, with son Cornelius, b.c. 1873, may have lived in Shandrum and eventually in Derrygrea; Timothy may have married Mary Donovan 1856 in Dunmanway. Investigating whether he was a brother of Cornelius in Tooreen.

Garryglass - Descendants of Cornelius McCarthy and Kate Burke; may have married 1859 in Dunmanway. Looking for relatives and descendants of their oldest son Daniel b. 1863, a well-known schoolmaster. I know Daniel's siblings, wives and names of children. Would like to know more about Cornelius's origin. As Daniel is the oldest boy perhaps his grandfather was also named Daniel...

Lissane - Cornelius McCarthy and Mary Collins McCarthy, had a daughter Margaret, I think Mgt married Richard Caverly. Mgt died 1906, son Andrew Caverly lived in Lissane with his uncle Andrew McC in 1911 census. Still a theory. Does anybody know about Lissane McCarthys?

Timeframe for all from mid-late 19th century, early 20th. Some of these McCarthys were probably Sowney.

I am also keeping tabs on this thread:
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.mccarthy/1405/mb.ashx

Re: McCarthys in Drimoleague, Caheragh, Drinagh - Skibbereen

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 9:02PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy/Burke/Daly
Hi Skibbgirl
Check out the above family tree ! McCarthy's
You will note that my father's dad and great and great great grandfather were from Drimoleague. All with references to "Lahanagh",Lahana, Lahanact.
The marraiges of the above were to Honora Hurley, Ellen Hurley, Katherine Daly
The Daly connection is associated with the marraige of John Daly to Katherine Burke all from Drinagh (Reavouler)
Let me know if any of this is a

Posted: 6 Feb 2012 5:35AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2012 6:12PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy Sowney, Hurley, Mahony
Hello Dennis,

Thanks for responding to my note.

I am not an ancestry.com member and cannot see your tree unfortunately, but it sounds like our ancestors were neighbors. Do you have a GEDCOM uploaded on World Connect that I can look at? I would be very interested in seeing it.

Lahanaght is very close to Upper Lissane (Caheragh). In the Drinagh Tithe Applotment from 1833 I see an Andrew McCarty (McCarthy) listed.

Upper Lissane is where one of my Granddad's McCarthy lines comes from. I think some of the people in Upper Lissane spilled over into Driminidy.

I have some publicly available charts posted here.
http://www.sjbar.com/irishGenealogy/LissaneMcCarthys.jpg

http://www.sjbar.com/irishGenealogy/LissaneMcCarthys.pdf

My granddad on the bottom row, John Humphrey Collins (you'll see his photo) was descended from Charles McCarthy. The relationship I draw between Charles (who married Margaret Young) and brothers Andrew (who married Ellen Hegarty) and Timothy (who married Catherine Donovan) remains rather speculative, and I drew it only after spending many long hours staring at baptism sponsors, assuming Andrew and Timothy also had first-born sons named Cornelius, and listening to an elderly aunt talk about family relationships way back when.

Charles and Andrew lived in Upper Lissane; Timothy in Drimindy. They were Sowney McCarthys. One of Timothy = Kate Donovan's daughters, Honora, married a Daniel Hurley who was from Coolnagarrane (Abbeystrowry), which was my Grandmom's side of the family.

There seem to be a few Hurleys running around our part of Drimoleague and Drinagh. There is a Catherine Hurley married to a Denis Mahony from Bredagh, yet another Hurley line on my Grandmom's side of the family. I don't know when Catherine Hurley = Denis Mahony married or where Catherine Hurley was from. Hurley baptism sponsors of those Mahony children were Mary, Margaret, and Norry.

Granddad had another line of McCarthys from Garryglass in Drinagh. They were McCarthy Knock. Grandmom had a line of McCarthys further west, probably from Gortnascreeny.

Given the close proximity of your Lahanaght people to mine, I wonder if there could be a connection. Unfortunately I am not a direct male descendant so I have no Y-DNA to compare. Have you considered taking an autosomal DNA test? I have a Family Finder test on file at FTDNA.

I am a very active Cork genealogy researcher and author a Cork genealogy website. Do let me know if you think we have something in common. It looks like you are new on the ancestry.com boards so welcome to the boards, and please stick around!

Posted: 7 Feb 2012 5:26AM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy/Daly/Donovan
Hi skibbgirl,Yes I am new to the boards, but have been researching the McCarthy's of Drimoleague and Daly on Drinagh along with the Donovan's for about 10 years.My recent activity has increased lately to to my pending upcoming trip to visit cousin in both of these area's this April. Being from the US I will be taken advantage of a trip for the month of April in Spain to visit Ireland for a week to continue my research.
Ilooked over your public charts and the likelyhood of a connection is possible but let me look into the GEDCOM upload and get back to you so you can see what I have
Stay in touch

Posted: 7 Feb 2012 5:31AM GMT
Dennis,

Here is a link to World Connect.
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

I actually have distant Daly cousins through the Garryglass McCarthy Knocks.

Have a great trip.

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 1:45AM GMT
I just recently found that my 2x great grandmother, Jane McCarthy, married Michael Marnane at Drimoleague 8 Feb 1842. Derby McCarthy and Timothy Marnane were the witnesses. Michael was from Letterlicky, Durrus, Co. Cork.

There was a Jane, d/o Cornelius McCarthy and Jane Youung baptized in that parish on 7 Sep 1818, residence of Lahanat. That is about the correct time for my 2x great grandmother to be born.

I am interested in finding out more about the McCarthys of Lahanaght.

Mike Morrissey

Posted: 22 Feb 2012 3:55PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy
There was a Timothy McCarthy in Lahanaght in Griffith's Valuation, and prior to that an Andrew McCarthy in the Tithe Applotment Books.

These names are very similar to other McCarthys in the general area. For example, a Jane McCarthy baptized 15-Jun-1822 to Andrew McCarthy Sowney and Ellen Hegarty in Lissane Upper. Until evidence indicates otherwise, I think this Andrew McCarthy was my ggg-grandfather's brother.

Given the patchiness and inconsistency in the availability of Irish records, I would recommend an autosomal (admixture) DNA test for anybody uncertain of their neighborhood origins. Your DNA matches might point you in a fruitful direction. I know where my mother and her parents were from in the Skibbereen area but through the test I am discovering connections we would never have known about otherwise.

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 7:53PM GMT
See http://bmdnotices.com/in-memoriam/viewremembrance.aspx?remem...
Names in blue are linked to other pages
Frank

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 1:27AM GMT
We have some McCarthys from Lissane. just starting to find new relatives from that area.

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 6:38PM GMT
I too am connected to the McCarthy Sowneys in Lissane. My g g grandmother was Jane McCarthy born 1822 daughter of Andrew and Ellen Hegarty. I have quite a bit of information on this family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic