Surnames: Davis
Researching my Davis family of Hawkins(1840) and Hancock Co.TN. My line is:

Nathan Davis b.1801 NC/TN? m. Nancy Givens 25/Dec/1823. Children were:
Mary "Polly" b.1825
Joshua b.1827
Abraham 1830
John H 1833
Lydia 1836
Anderson Campbell Davis 1839(my GGGrandfather)
Martha Jane 1842
Elizabeth 1845

Willing to share with those who are researching this line.

Nancy

Re: Davis's of Hawkins/Hancock Co.TN.

Posted: 14 May 2007 12:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DAVIS, FORD, FOREN
Do you know any of Nathan's siblings?? Did he have a brother named William born about 1805?

Are there any FORD or FOREN's married into your DAVIS line?

Posted: 14 May 2007 3:24AM GMT
Nancy,

I am looking for Davis' of Hancock County. I dont have a lot of info. My great great grandmother is Frances Evaline Davis. I know that she and her husband are found on the 1880 Hancock County Census. His name is Thomas G.
Britt. Apparently from what I was told by my grandmother, Frances or she was called Evaline in our family, was disowned by her father. So I have
little info on her family. My grandmother said that Evaline describe her life with her parents as affluent for that time period.I have a death certificate of Evaline's, but it says her father's name was Jeff Davis, but I am doubting this info, even though it came from one of her
daughters. I have been looking at the census record of Hancock, 1860 and it lists a female baby with the household of Joshua and Nancy Brewer Davis. I suspect this to be the family of my Evaline. Then I believe in the 1870
census I found this same child's name to be Emeline....close to Evaline.

I was excited to see your posting. Maybe we can help each other in the
Great DAVIS hunt!!!!

Thank you, Kay

Posted: 17 May 2007 2:34AM GMT
I don't know who Nathan's parents were. The naming pattern in this family suggests that he *may* have been of the Joshua Davis family of NC. I don't believe I have any Ford/Foren's in my data.

Nancy

Posted: 17 May 2007 3:00PM GMT
Kay,

As you know, there were 2 Joshua Davis's in Hancock Co. We believe our's was Joshua (b.Nov/1827_who m.Matilda Caroline Barnard. This Joshua died in the Civil War. I agree that the other Joshua who married "Nellie" Brewer, might be your family. I think that there is a connection between these families, but I don't know the relationship yet.

I've recently submitted DNA from a male Davis of my line for the Davis DNA project. I hope this will provide some clues. Because Hancock Co. had 3 fires, it makes research very difficult. I'll keep you in mind should there be any new information.

Nancy

Posted: 31 Aug 2008 6:29AM GMT
My great great grandfather was William John Davis from Hancock/Hawkins Co. TN. He was married to Elizabeth "Betty" Trent. I'm not sure if this is part of your Davis line or not.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions