Search for content in message boards

Frederick Kottcamp in 1854 left Minden in Prussia

Frederick Kottcamp in 1854 left Minden in Prussia

Earle Lafean (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: KOTTCAMP, LAFEAN, LAVIEN, HAGEMEIR, HINTELMEIR
In June 1854, Carl Lavien (a.k.a. Charles Frederick Lafean Sr.), traveled from Lübeck to Minden, sailed down the Weser River to the port of Bremen and then sailed for America.

During the voyage, Carl Lavien befriended the widowed Frederick (a.k.a. Friedrich or Fredrick) Kottcamp of Minden, then the capital of the Westphalia Region, in the Kingdom of Prussia (Germany), and his 16 year old daughter Anna Marie Scharlotte Kottcamp (a.k.a. Scharlotte Kottcamp or Charlotte Kottcamp).

Frederick Kottcamp is "believed" to have been a farmer near Minden and he had "several" other daughters and "several"
sons. Scharlotte was born near Minden on 10 Feb 1838, and her mother had died in Scharlotte's infancy. On 07 July 1854, their ship landed in Baltimore MD. All three eventually settled in York PA.

One of the sisters of Carl Lavien (a.k.a. Charles Frederick Lafean Sr.) married a man named Hagemeir or Hintelmeir in Prussia (Germany). One of her sons was "believed" to be living in the state of South Dakota U.S.A. during the early 1900's.

We are seeking ANY information on Frederick Kottcamp and ANY of his relatives in the York PA area. Any information on Hagemeir or Hintelmeir emmigrating from Prussia (Germany) would also be helpful.

Re: Frederick Kottcamp in 1854 left Minden in Prussia

Marilynn Ruth (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2003 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: Kottcamp, Lafean
My great-great grandfather would have been Frederick Kottcamp, father of Charlotte (Kottcamp) Lafean. I am looking for info. about Frederick, I have some info. on Fredericks other children. His son Casper is where my line comes from. Woul like to hear from you. Marilynn Ruth

denise flynn (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2003 12:14PM GMT
i have a first cousin twice removed by the name mildred KOTTCAMP. dob 2 sept 1906 dod 17 jan 1982. she was the daughter of mamie bahn HOCKLEY. mildred was married to david BIESTLINE. mildred and david moved from york, pa to dayton, ohio. mildred was raised by her grandparents, henry nelson BAHN and Sarah SMITH bahn.

mildred KOTTCAMP is found on the 1910 york county census at the age 3 as an adopted child in the H. Nelson BAHN household. they have her name as koltemp. mildred is also found on the 1920 york county census at age 18 in the household of Henry Nelson BAHN.

Posted: 23 Apr 2003 8:34PM GMT
Surnames: Kottcamp, Lafean, Newman , Koonsman
Denisee Flynn: Your info. was appreciated, but don't believe it is in our line, unless very distantly. I am interested in Frederick Kottcamp 1805-1884, widowed when he and daughter Charlotte came to Ameria. She married Charles F. Lafean. Frederick had a son Casper Henry Kottcamp 1848-1899 lived in York and married Susan "Lucy" Louisa Koonsman.Also another son Edward 1847-1912 who married Sadie Newman of Newmans Ice Cream. Her parents owned Newmans Ice Cream in York, PA. Any info. on any of these people would be greatly appreciated. Anyone with info please reply. Thanks. Marilynn Ruth

denise flynn (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2003 8:45PM GMT
Surnames: bahn, smith, minnich, miller, enders, thoman, snodgrass, hershey, spahr, baish, blauser
You never know where "a name" fits in. Names I've had in my notes for years and years that I could not fit in anywhere have just in the last week become of my direct lines. So, I'll keep your names with my other information..........who knows???? One day I may find a place for Mildred Kottcamp. My mother as well as all other relatives were born and raised in York, PA. Thanks.

JoAnne Everhart (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2003 9:34PM GMT
Edited: 6 May 2003 1:36AM GMT
Surnames: Kottkamp, Schroeder, Finke
I too am a descendant of Frederich Kottkamp through my paternal grandmother, Charlotte Marie Finke Everhart. Her grandmother was Catharine (aka Catherine/Kate) Kottcamp who married Heinrich Franz Schroeder, also an emmigrant from Oberbauerschaft Westphalia Germany. Catharina was the youngest daughter in the family. She was born in 1841 in Oberbauerschaft Germany and arived in Baltimore in 1854 with the rest of the Kottkamp family. The name of their ship was the Wesser. I have a copy of the ship's manifest which lists them by name and age, I have much information regarding the Kottkamp, Schroeder, and Finke families. This includes a copy of Frederich Kottkamps's will. his obituary notice and the obit notices of his daughter Catharina Kottkamp Schroeder and another daughter Charlotte Lafean Kottkamp. There was another Kottkamp daughter, Maria (aka Mary), who married Henrich (aka, Henry) Lucking, another emmigrant from Oberbauerschaft. Freiderich owned and operated a butcher shop and tannery on N. Penn St. in York City. I will be happy to share any information I have, and would like to hear from any other descendants of Frederich.
My Grandma Charlotte always said that her greatgrandfather, Frederich Kottkamo, was a "real gentleman, a man who came here with only his family, no wealth, and built a nice life in America."

Posted: 6 Feb 2004 7:49PM GMT
My father, Raymond Kottcamp
Grandfather Walter Kottcamp
G-Grandfather Casper Kottcamp
G-G-Grandfather Johannes Frederick Augusta Kottcamp 27May 1805-23 Sept. 1884
Children of J. Frederick Augusta Kottcam;
Charlotte Maria
Anna Maria (Mary)
Catharina Joanna
Frederick (1839-1874)
Casper Henry 1848-1899)
Any information on any of these names and their families.
Thanks Marilynn Ruth

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 8:03AM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2013 9:43PM GMT
Surnames: Kottcamp, Lafean
This is a really old thread, but if you sign in and review, I'd like to hear from you. I'm a direct paternal descendent and namesake of Edward Lafean, son of Anne Marie Scharlotte(Charlotte) Kottcamp (b.10 Feb 1838) with Carl (Charles) F Lafean (Lavien), who arrived with the Kottcamp family on 7 July 1854. Charlotte's name has been rendered in family lore as "Anna Maria Katrinka Carlotta Kottcamp" though I'm unsure where the 'Katrinka' comes in. If possible to reproduce, I'd treasure a copy of the ship's manifest.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions